Overnight Oats

Options
ils_1231
ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
Hi All,

I was wondering-- is the texture of overnight oats really thin/wet? It's taken me a long time to just eat regular oatmeal and even that I have on the drier side. What measurements do you all use?? Ingredients?

I'm intrigued, but nervous I wont eat them once made lol

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's mushy.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    It's cold / mushy

For mine, I do the following:

- 1 serving oats
    - 1 scoop protein powder (whatever flavor you want) (vanilla is my morning go to)
    - 2 packets Splenda
    - 1/2 cup coffee .

stir well, cover bowl or jar or whatever you put all ingredients in..... put in fridge, and enjoy in the am.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I made a few recipes I found on Pinterest that included oats, Greek yogurt, berries, and quite a bit of milk/almond milk and they grossed me out to be honest. I love milk or almond milk...but the texture was soupy, like a thin paste, and it seemed to leach all flavor out of the fruit.

I like them much better the way I make them now, which is thick - kind of a chunky pudding texture, I'd say. Sounds gross but it's pretty good, my husband and I have this for breakfast at least weekly.

Layer in container:

fresh or frozen (thawed) fruit - we like strawberries, rhubarb, peaches, blueberries, etc.
    4 oz plain or vanilla Greek yogurt
    1/8 c quick oats
    1/4 tbsp. ground flaxseed

Cover, refrigerate overnight, and in the morning stir & eat. It's plenty sweet IMO - but of course you could add honey, chopped nuts, or whatever else you like to make it even better.

For a change we have also done a version with just yogurt, oats, 1/2 tbsp. peanut butter, and a few dark chocolate chips and in the morning added 1/2 banana.

P.S. I don't think the ground flaxseed is absolutely necessary at all but we like it because it packs a bit of nutrition in a small amount and I think it aids the texture.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    This is sort of my go to, base recipe for all my overnight oats:

1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1/2 cup dry old fashioned or rolled oats (NOT the quick cooking kind)
    1 tbsp. chia seeds (great thickener)

I'll add a bit of sweetener, fruit, peanut butter, what have you to this. It always thickens up pretty well, but you do need a good 12 hours or so. If you don't mind it being a little more runny, then you can eat it earlier, but I usually mix it in a mason jar the night before then leave it and by the morning it's good to go.
  • marymoni
    marymoni Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This is the receipe I use!
    http://www.pbfingers.com/2013/01/03/vanilla-walnut-overnight-oats/
    Mine usually ends up with less liquid than it looks in the picture
    :)
  • angeliis02
    angeliis02 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I like mine runny. If I get them too thick I just can't eat it.

I normally put as my base
    1/3 cup oats
    1 TBSP chia seeds
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1 tsp agave nectar

then I put in various things, usually dark chocolate chips, banana, blueberries, strawberries and PB2 in different combinations. If you'd like it mushy instead of runny add less milk. I don't put yogurt in mine because I don't like the yogurt tang with my oats.
  • ils_1231
    Options
    I like mine runny. If I get them too thick I just can't eat it.

I normally put as my base
    1/3 cup oats
    1 TBSP chia seeds
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1 tsp agave nectar

then I put in various things, usually dark chocolate chips, banana, blueberries, strawberries and PB2 in different combinations. If you'd like it mushy instead of runny add less milk. I don't put yogurt in mine because I don't like the yogurt tang with my oats.

LOL we are opposites. I'm going to try added chia seeds i think -- thanks for all the suggestions. love the recipes! keep them coming if you guys have any other favourites!
  • ils_1231
    Options
    This is the receipe I use!
    http://www.pbfingers.com/2013/01/03/vanilla-walnut-overnight-oats/
    Mine usually ends up with less liquid than it looks in the picture
    :)

could you take a pic and send me??
  • emsmom8
    emsmom8 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I use 1/4 cup steel cut oats and 1/2 cup almond milk. I think it is fantastic and the steel cut oats do not seem to get mushy overnight.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Here

http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

I've had them a few times but nope, still not a fan, lol.