Diet, Bodybuilding, 5k, and Spartan Race Advice needed

Hello all!

First off, I would like to state that I am open to positive advice, and would appreciate even the negative ones so long as they are not bashing. I have several questions pertaining to the above.

Diet: Currently I eat 2-3 times a day with multiple snacks. I generally aim for no more than 100 grams of carbs and use the fiber to subtract. I aim for high protein, and only healthy fats. You can check out my diet to my profile I think. I eat grilled meats (mostly chicken if I can), and vegetables. I took out most starches from my diet, but I am struggling with bread. I love it…

However, because of my exercises, my question is this:

1) On my strength training days, what percentages should I aim for each category?
2) On days I do not exercise, should I stick with only 1200 calories?
3) On days I do cardio, what should my percentages be?
4) On days that I sweat a lot, what should my sodium levels be?
5) I want to avoid breads, so what should I use for sandwiches?
6) I do have one day where I let go, and just eat what I want. Usually those days are very carb heavy days as I feel this can help my muscles since I deplete them of carbs.
7) What foods should I focus more on? I eat whey after any strength, and aim for healthy foods with no seasoning except olive oil and herbs.

Exercises: Currently I work out 6 days of the week. I also try to walk my dogs in the evenings for about half an hour, and I always try to hit 10,000 steps with my Fitbit. Most classes I do use weights, and I will use 5-7.5 lbs depending on the type of exercise. I have weak arms and a weak back.

Before anyone asks, yes I do these classes back to back in the afternoon. Each class is about an hour long, and during classes, I will drink water. In between classes, I eat nuts and dried fruit. If I feel too tired, I will skip a class and go home. I listen to my body, and do not push myself to the point of passing out. I do have a rest day! It just depends on when I want to take it or when my body forces me to take it.

Monday: 1-1.5 hours of Muay Thai with a friend. We incorporate a lot of core, cardio, and punches.
Tuesday: Zumba (Cardio) & Pilates (Strength & Stretch) Total of 2 hours.
Wednesday: Circuit Strength & Fit Core (both are Strength & Cardio) Total of 2 hours
Thursday: Step + HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) and Yoga (Cardio, Strenth, Flexibility) Total 2 hours
Friday: Zumba + Running (Cardio)
Saturday: Align and Define, Zumba, MAYBE Yoga. (Strength + Cardio, Flexibility) Total of 2-3 hours
Sunday: and Define, Zumba, MAYBE Yoga. (Strength + Cardio, Flexibility) Total of 2-3 hours

1) When I do a weights day, I do the 5x5’s. I do this when I slip a class, so should the next day be solely cardio?
2) What suggestions would you have?
3) Should I do a sauna or steam room? (I have either at the YMCA)

Rest: When I feel my muscles are too sore, I rest, and don’t work out. I still walk the dogs like a responsible owner. I work part time for about 10-15 hours a week, and I pet sit for my mother’s company which requires I walk dogs for 30 minutes. I think I pet sit once a day so that’s an additional 30 minutes, but we walk at a 2.0 pace.
If I am too sore to move, I will sleep, and drink a lot of water. I don’t take any medication.

1) Should I take medication when I am too sore?

Why do this?

I am training to run a 5k. Currently I can “jog” a mile in 12-13 minutes at a pace between 4.8-5. I want to get around 8-9 minutes, and I know my endurance has increased thanks to Zumba.

I want to build muscle, and be able to fight in a muay thai competition at least once. I am trying to start slow, and my teacher is a really good friend who helps me test my body safely. Not only that, but I noticed that almost ALL of my classes warm up using muay thai moves…

Lastly, I want to try a Spartan race, but they require doing rope climbs. I can’t even do a push up yet and I have been trying for 3 weeks. I’ve definitely gotten stronger, and my endurance is increasing. I can last longer without feeling tired, and my husband says I am losing my butt despite not losing weight.

Yes a lot of people are going to say “only work out once a day for an hour” but I have a lot of free time to kill, and I try to stay in the area since I live kind of far.

Beauty: So because of how hard I work out, I HAVE to shower after my session. That means I bathe 2-3 times a day. I’m sorry, I have to rinse in the morning…I can’t help it, and I wash my hair every day after I work out.

1) What do you do to prevent acne?
2) What do you suggest I try for my hair?
3) Dry skin?

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Admittedly due to it being late I was not able to finish reading your entire post but I do have one comment based on what I did read.

You should stop thinking about what you eat fueling only the exercise the day you ate that food, your intake fuels your body and its repair throughout the week. Strength training is going to require protein not just on the day you do strength training but for several days after as well during recovery. Thinking about eating this macro balance this day because you did X is not really a good approach for that reason. Really I'd pick a macro balance that has enough protein to support your strength training, enough carbs to support your energy for getting through your workouts and the essential amount of fats needed in any diet and just eat that daily or at least try to balance it out each week.

You don't need to avoid certain foods unless you find that when you eat them it becomes impossible to hit your calorie goals. There is nothing wrong with bread.

I will say with the amount you are exercising I hope you are eating a lot of calories to sustain that and not just trying to push your deficit to extremes. That much exercise is going to require a lot of fuel and a lot of rest. Results from exercise don't come just from performing the exercise they come from giving your body enough rest and food to develop. If you exercise to much you can actually inhibit gains and progress so do be careful with that.
  • gquiros1
    gquiros1 Posts: 9 Member
    Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

I use my fitness pal to help with my calories. Essentially, if I exercise, it will tell me I have more calories to eat food with.

So on days that I exercise for 3 hours, I think my calories is close to 2500-3000. That's fine with me cause I don't mind eating.

On days I don't exercise, I try to stick to vegetables, low carbs, and high protein.

My main question is, what macros should I aim for then?

I can't eat bread because when I do, I get really sluggish, tired, and have issues with my energy despite how much I love it. That's why I avoid it. Also, I am hypoglycemia, so I have to eat constantly throughout the day.

I forgot to add, I am currently 5'6" with weight of 180lbs. My original weight was 200, and it took me since Jan to get this low. I am pear shaped, so all of my fat is in my butt and thighs...
  • gquiros1
    gquiros1 Posts: 9 Member
    Would love help on this!