Options
Hi Everyone, I am a new member and my goal is simple; to be healthy. I am 50 years old and I have been relatively active but recently had a set back (caring for an elderly parent) and it was/is extremely stressful. However, I still have to take care of myself. I look forward to exploring the community and posting updates from time to time. I am currently 180lbs and hope to lose at least 20lbs in 3 months. Wish me luck,

Replies

• jeanbattalia
    jeanbattalia Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I can relate to how hard it is to take care of a sick and/or elderly parent. I had a really rough time when I took care of my mom. She had lung cancer and it progressed pretty quickly. The schedule was so stressful and demanding and I still had a full-time job and was going to school. I didn't eat right, nor have time or energy for exercise.

Feel free to add me!

Jean
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Greetings and Welcome!
    I have similar issues. My mom is in poor health, and every time she's in the hospital I want to turn to stress pizza!
    Add to that an autistic teenager and a four year old girl, and there didn't seem to be time for ME. Then I found this place!

Sending you a friend request.
  • jeanbattalia
    jeanbattalia Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks a bunch for your comment!

You have a lot on your plate, but there is time for YOU and it's great that you're doing this to commit to your own health despite the needs of others around you. You are truly a Super Woman!

Jean
  • avrilgil
    avrilgil Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi:

It is truly a challenge being caregiver, and I certainly was not ready for my mom's illness (but then again, who is). She was always in such good health, but last Winter she had a set back and it was awful. I was a complete mess. My job suffered and my overall health to include mentally; but I had to be strong for my mom. AND I was determined to find her help and finally things have stabalized. My prayer was always for God to send me where I could find help, and He answered my prayers.

I hope to lose weight on MFP, but my ultimate goal is to be healthy. I'm not in competition with anyone, so not focused on the outside, because I KNOW working from the inside out will produce results. I now take at least 30minutes daily FOR ME, and I don't feel guilty about that (anymore). I believe if I make a committment to MYSELF now, to be healthy, at least I know that I am in control of something. There are so many things which I do not have control, and I learned to let that go, but being gentle with and taking care of myself is something I CAN CONTROL.

In addition to MFP, I walk 30-35 mins at least 3x week, and I started T25 on Monday. I do the low level to gauge my fitness level and it is really not bad. I will restart Phase 1 next week at the regular pace and modify if I feel it is too intense. I have a bit more energy and don't wake up exhausted.
  • supereen
    supereen Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi - I'm new to all of this too - I'm 45 years old, and also started as 180 (down to 175 today, yay!) Like you, I just want to lose 20 pounds at this point. My knees are shot, my back is shot, if I feel like this now, what is it going to look like in 10 years???! Anyway - good for you for getting on the healthy bandwagon, I'm jumping on too! :)

Eileen
  • Aconnors53
    Aconnors53 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm new to all of this too - I'm 45 years old, and also started as 180 (down to 175 today, yay!) Like you, I just want to lose 20 pounds at this point. My knees are shot, my back is shot, if I feel like this now, what is it going to look like in 10 years???! Anyway - good for you for getting on the healthy bandwagon, I'm jumping on too! :)

Eileen

Hi Eileen,
    I also am new to this site although not new to the struggle with weight loss. I was doing Weight Watchers at work for the last 2 years(company picked up the until 2014). This is pretty much the same as WW as in you track what you eat and your activity.
    So welcome and feel free to add me as a friend.

Amy
    P.S. I love that breed of dog! :bigsmile: