Scared to Weigh In

Options
Is anyone else scared to weigh in?

Why?

It's been an excellent week for me, so I'm scared to look at the scale in case it didn't move. I'm skipping this week's weigh-in because I like the way I feel and I don't want to be put off by the numbers. I'm certainly looking forward to measurements in two weeks, though!

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Why be scared? It's just a number. Are you going to lose your job if the number didn't go down enough? Is someone going to die? Will it mean the end of your marriage? Of course not! So, why give it so much power in your mind?
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I was scared this morning too. I bite the bullet and did, well I had a Dr appt, no choice. You can do it. Just remember that the scales don't tell the whole story. That's what I've been telling myself this whole time.

I was upset because I'd only lost 1lb and I just knew it was going to be 2. I took a deep breath, remembered that I'd done well and moved on. Good luck!
  • Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I don't put too much weight on the number on the scale. Body weight fluctuates all the time.

I went up 2 lbs yesterday apparently, lost 0.5lb of it again by this morning. What matters isn't the individual weight, it's the trend.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I definitely know how you feel. It can be so discouraging when you think you did well and the scale doesn't move or even goes up. I ditched my scale. I only weigh about once a month. I use the way my clothes fit to determine my weight loss. Good luck to you!!!
  • unhgoose
    unhgoose Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I give myself pep talks before I get on the scale. Because even though I know it is just a number that shifts depending on my salt intake and muscle soreness I still get totally bummed out by a number. My head may now the number doesn't really matter but my heart / motivating core takes a hit every time its a "bad" number.

My pep talks are along the lines of "You look really good." "Your pants are fitting great" "Can you imagine you use to weight X!" "You know you had pizza the other day, so you might have a little bump from sodium."

It sounds silly but I'm always giving myself little pep talks in all aspects of my life...
  • TheWeightOfFood
    TheWeightOfFood Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Pep talks are a great way to get through life!
  • seabirdie12
    seabirdie12 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to, you don't have to.

Have you thought about taking measurements instead? You should be tracking your progress in some way, just so you know if there is something off with your diet.
  • CitizenXVIII
    CitizenXVIII Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning when I step out of the shower, I highly recommend doing the same. It's not your weight any one day that matters, but the trend over time. Everybody fluctuates up some days, if that happens to be weigh day for you, you aren't going to feel very good about it. Weighing every day gives you a better idea of the direction you are going, as long as it's down more often than it's up, you are doing what you need to. I don't put much stock in any one day's weight, but rather, the average for the week.

Either that, or don't weigh at all. Use non-scale ways to measure success: the fit of your pants, the way you look in the mirror, etc.
  • TheWeightOfFood
    TheWeightOfFood Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks, seabirdie. Measurements every month! :) Very motivating.

Being so dependant on the scale that you check it daily doesn't sound like it would keep me healthy, Citizen. For me, I would become obsessed (and have before).

I like the non-scale tips. Thank you!
  • tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind not weighing in, don't. If you feel good about what you've done and don't care what you weigh, then don't. But if you care about weight, I would weigh at least once a week.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I am always scared to weigh in. So I just do not do it most of the time. I got so used to avoiding the scale, that I do not bother with it anymore. I am just now getting myself to try and weigh myself once a week.

I honestly care more for measurements, the mirror and how my clothes fit me. Since none of that is changing, I've been trying the scale.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I have to be in the right frame of mind in order to get on the scale. If I'm not, then I want to eat things that aren't good for me.

So I don't have a regular day that I weigh, just do it on the same scale, first thing in the am.