Whats the consensus on fire hydrants?

Options
I've seen a lot of love for the fire hydrant exercise on the internet. I'm thinking of adding fire hydrants into my gym routine, but I'm worried they don't really do anything beneficial because its not a weighted exercise. What do y'all think? Any experience?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    It won't make any visible changes, if that's your goal.
  • glitterkelly
    glitterkelly Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Visible change is my goal.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Any exercise that is difficult for you to do can be beneficial, it doesn't have to be weighted. That said, fire hydrants are better for increasing range of motion in the hips. I sometimes incorporate them into my warm up and stretching routine. If you're hoping for 'toning', this isn't the exercise to do that unless you have some serious atrophy issues and are using them as rehab exercise. If you're looking do work the gluts, hams and quads, there are much better exercises out there for that, like the major compound lifts (deadlifts, quats, hip thrusts, etc).
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Visible change is my goal.

If you're trying to make the area smaller, follow the usual fat loss strategy (calorie deficit & full body strength training). Spot reduction isn't possible.

If you're trying make the area bigger, go with wide-stance squats & deadlifts, using very heavy weight (and good form).
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of love for the fire hydrant exercise on the internet. I'm thinking of adding fire hydrants into my gym routine, but I'm worried they don't really do anything beneficial because its not a weighted exercise. What do y'all think? Any experience?

I pee on them often.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Any exercise that is difficult for you to do can be beneficial, it doesn't have to be weighted. That said, fire hydrants are better for increasing range of motion in the hips. I sometimes incorporate them into my warm up and stretching routine. If you're hoping for 'toning', this isn't the exercise to do that unless you have some serious atrophy issues and are using them as rehab exercise. If you're looking do work the gluts, hams and quads, there are much better exercises out there for that, like the major compound lifts (deadlifts, quats, hip thrusts, etc).

^this. it's a mobility exercise.....so yes, it's beneficial, but perhaps not in the way that you were hoping.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I pee on them often.

I've seen worse things done to them.

Wish I was joking.
  • glitterkelly
    glitterkelly Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    A decent mobility exercise if done correctly. Most people do it wrong and really waste their time.