B12 Shots

Options
huzuri
huzuri Posts: 28 Member
Has anyone ever had B12 shots? Someone recommended that I look into it.

Good?
Bad?
Indifferent?

Thanks!

I'm a 30-year-old female, 5'2, 250lbs.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Who was that someone? Your doctor? Do you have a B12 deficiency?
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I've never had the B12 shots but I do take liquid B12 every day. Some side effect of having underactive thyroid is the inability to absorb B12 as well as other people. Doctor said I was low and to start the liquid. I love it. i can tell a difference in my energy level.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    if you're not B12 deficient I don't see why you would need a shot
  • huzuri
    Options
    No, I've had two friends who have used the B12 shots to successfully help with their weightloss. My energy levels are low as well. I do work out 4-6x per week.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I've never had the B12 shots but I do take liquid B12 every day. Some side effect of having underactive thyroid is the inability to absorb B12 as well as other people. Doctor said I was low and to start the liquid. I love it. i can tell a difference in my energy level.

I agree if you have an underactive thyroid it can be helpful, but you should really consult your doctor first.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    No, I've had two friends who have used the B12 shots to successfully help with their weightloss. My energy levels are low as well. I do work out 4-6x per week.

Losing body fat only comes through a calorie deficit. Maybe your friends had low energy because they had a B12 deficiency so the shots brought their levels back up. But low energy can come from many different sources so I would talk to your doctor about it and get some bloodwork done.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who did this along with a strict diet, lost weight, gained it back, went to the hcg shots and strict diet, lost weight. Now she is struggling and gaining. She is now talking about yacon syrup.
  • rhonda6374
    rhonda6374 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I tried the B12 + LIPO but as far as weight loss is concerned, I don't think it helped. It did help my energy lever however, so perhaps I am B12 deficient.
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    There's a program here (rather expensive one) that you pay to have b6 and b12 injected and they put you on a strict diet to lose weight. You give urine samples twice a week to see if you're in ketosis. It's called Dr Bernstein and I know of a few people who have been successful with it, but honestly they all ended up gaining and going back to them again when they gained their 60 pounds back in a yr. Is this kind of what your doctor wants to do? The program is crazy expensive and when my friend paid 3000$ only to gain it back she wasn't too happy, despite them offering a maintenance program.
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options

If it's about energy you can use a B50 complex vitamin that will help with that!
  • huzuri
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This was really helpful! I will consult with my doctor first.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    B12 doesn't do anything for weight loss. As already stated by others, it's only recommended if you have a deficiency. I take the liquid form due to hypothyroidism, as my B12 levels tend to be low, so my doctor recommended it.

If you have low energy, you'll want to find the cause of it, then treat that. Start with the basics...are you getting enough sleep? Getting proper nutrition? Etc.
  • Kymsanity
    Kymsanity Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed as B12 deficient and so I have B12 shots on a monthly basis. It definitely hasn't helped in my weightloss but it does make me more mentally engaged and I ache less after any exercise I do.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Have bloodwork drawn. If you are deficient it may help, otherwise it would not be recommended. Most times people recommend this due to low energy levels... Most often, an increase in activity level or taking a regular multivitamin will help this. Otherwise, it would be wise to go to a non-weightloss medical professional to determine which of many causes may be causing the low energy.
  • MarlaChandlerBarton
    MarlaChandlerBarton Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    B12 doesn't do anything for weight loss. As already stated by others, it's only recommended if you have a deficiency. I take the liquid form due to hypothyroidism, as my B12 levels tend to be low, so my doctor recommended it.

If you have low energy, you'll want to find the cause of it, then treat that. Start with the basics...are you getting enough sleep? Getting proper nutrition? Etc.

Hi Brandi, did your Dr also put you on Thyroid medicine or does the B-12 only?
  • 1974lynnette
    1974lynnette Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm B12 deficient. I have taken shots in the past but with my work schedule it's hard to get to the doctor's office so I take 2500mg a day. I take a quick dissolve pill under the tongue. It certainly doesn't help with weight loss but I do feel better energy wise. If I slack off & don't take it every day I feel sluggish & tired.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options

Hi Brandi, did your Dr also put you on Thyroid medicine or does the B-12 only?

Yes, I'm on thyroid medicine (Armour) to control my levels. Armour treats my hypothyroidism, B12 treats my deficiency in it.:smile:
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who did this and she lost a bunch of weight (probably from the strict diet) then she gained it back. So she went on the hcg diet and lost a bunch recently (due to the vlcd they had her on) but she has not yet reached her goal and is again gaining it back. So today she told me she has ordered yacon syrup and can't wait to do that since her stomach fat is due to not enough good bacteria and that will fix it according to what she saw on Dr Oz. We did weight watchers together a few years ago and she couldn't lose anything because she does not have good portion control on her own. All she has lost is a bunch of money.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,027 Member
    Options
    as I said in a recent thread on this topic,I work in a Dr's surgery - we have many patients on B12 injections, most for pernicious anaemia and a few for CFS .

The patients are various shapes and sizes, by no means all slim or even a healthy weight.

If you have no energy, you need to find the cause first - B12 will only help if the cause is pernicious anaemia or CFS.
    It will do nothing at all for losing weight.
  • blackjacksbaby
    blackjacksbaby Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of research as I am b12 deficient. The liquid and pills aren't absorbed by deficient people properly. I ended up getting the shots for a year before my doctor moved and have yet to find a new one. The shots helped me tremendously. I had energy, felt healthier and it was well worth a small stick.