High Protein

Options
I need some high protein foods that are quick and easy to prepare or can just be eaten on the go! Low/nonfat would be even better!

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I suspect you'll get a lot of "Don't fear the fat. Fat loves you" responses. So I'll just leave it at that. Oh, and don't fear the fat.

That said, what kind of protein-to-calorie ratio are you looking for? Skim milk is great and fairly portable. Whey protein shakes. You can pre-cook egg muffin sandwiches with some egg whites and fat free cheese.

Oh, and don't fear the fat :flowerforyou:
  • maggiemay128
    Options
    Thanks :) I tend to forget about eggs. And I would drink the protein shakes, but I havent found one I like yet!
  • its_about_the_journey
    Options
    PLAIN Greek yogurt. Ground cinnamon and ginger are fantastic no-calorie add-ins if the plain yogurt is too boring for you.
    I think the Fage brand tastes the best. Just beware of the over-sweetened, chemically-thickened greek yogurt imitators!
  • maggiemay128
    Options
    I LOVE greek yogurt :love: Thanks for the reminder!
  • mRoss27
    mRoss27 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    -Greek yogurt
    -cottage cheese
    -egg beaters (taste exactly like scrambled eggs with no fat)
    -lowfat/nonfat cheese
    -part skim ricotta cheese
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes
    Cheese and meat roll ups
    Greek yogurt
    Homemade chicken fingers or nuggets (you said quick and easy to eat on the go)
    Boiled eggs
    Protein bars
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Sardines! I love them but they have to be eaten in private :)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    tuna and avocado
    deli meat and cheese rolled up
    beef jerkey
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I grill about a dozen chicken breasts at a time and then eat them through the week as needed. Tuna, eggs, Greek yogurt, milk and the occasional protein powder supplement are my go to protein sources.
  • Illini_Jim
    Illini_Jim Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Edamame
    Lentils
    Pumpkin Seeds
    Quinoa
    Green Peas
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Not sure how quick and easy it is but I seem to get the most bang for the buck out of turkey burgers. I get mine from Costco, about 5.3 ounces and 200 calories without much fat. With a side of veggies they fill me up pretty good and with a little BBQ sauce (my favorite) the taste is great.

Deli meats are pretty awesome too but they tend to have so much sodium I shy away from them.
  • SamSal02
    SamSal02 Posts: 85
    Options
    I need some high protein foods that are quick and easy to prepare or can just be eaten on the go! Low/nonfat would be even better!

I eat PureProtein bars since I cannot drink shakes...it's a texture thing. The ones I get are 20g protein and 170-200cal. and only 5g Fat (3g Saturated). Another quality bar are Quest Bars...a little more pricey, but taste great as well.

Also, Make chili in the crock pot. I use chicken breast, beans and quinoa. It is a protein packed meal and you can portion it for the week!

Boil eggs...and munch on a couple egg whites as a snack

Careful with the Greek Yogurt...many flavored ones are LOADED with sugar!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Protein bars, protein shakes, greek yogurt, peanut butter, cottage cheese, cheese, milk, chicken, nuts

Edit: forgot eggs
  • cgrand18
    cgrand18 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Premier Protein shakes are actually really good. They have 30g of protein. They come in vanilla, choc, and strawberry. I like the choc and vanilla. Vanilla is my favorite. You can get them at Wal-mart, Hannaford grocery stores and Costco. (amazon too - but it is way more expensive on amazon - odd)

Fage greek yogurt I think has the most protein at 18-20g depending on which flavor you pick.
  • thecrushinator
    thecrushinator Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing is cook breakfast sausage in a pan, removed the sausage and cook chopped up kale / asparagus / broccoli in the sausage grease, when the veggies are cooked throw in a couple eggs and scramble it all together. :D

Also Protein shakes are good but watch out for the ones with more sugar than protein, or the ones that use soy protein. or better yet make your own at home.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I grill about a dozen chicken breasts at a time and then eat them through the week as needed. Tuna, eggs, Greek yogurt, milk and the occasional protein powder supplement are my go to protein sources.

+1 on the chicken breasts. A little seasoning + a George Foreman grill = super easy high-protein food.
  • pistachiopeas
    pistachiopeas Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I like Tera's Whey bourbon vanilla protein powder. It has 20 grams of protein and is a good base. I add almond milk, half a banana, and lots of frozen berries to mine. Sometimes I make it "green" with spinach.
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to increase my protein at the moments too. I'm going with:

Fresh tuna steak
    Grilled chicken
    Fage Greek yogurt
    Eggs
    Beans
    Protein shakes
    Peanut butter (this is a new one for me - hope I don't get to like it too much;-)

Yum!!!
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    For Protein powder, I really like ON's Gold in Vanilla Ice Cream and Chocolate Fudge. Great protein -- 25g per 120 cal. I often double scoop for a protein shake with a little whole milk and ice -- 300 cals or so with 50 g of protein. I even throw in a little PB2 sometimes for the peanut flavor minus the fat.
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    String cheese.
    Hard boiled eggs.
    Clif Bars.
    Almonds and walnuts.
    Canned tuna or chicken with light crackers.