new to calorie counting, please help!

Options
I seem to be waaaay under for my goals. I am on a 1200/day diet. I am still nursing my baby (which I figured burns about 350 calories now) and work out 4-5 days a week. Wed (the day I started MFP) I was 800 cal under goal, yesterday 756, and today I have 1241 to go (haven't eaten dinner yet). I feel like I eat normally and Im just not hungry. What are some snacks/ideas that are high in calories & are healthy? If I keep on this track will I not get the results I want?

Replies

• jennylynn84
    Options
    Holy cowmoly! First, what are you eating that by lunch (I'm assuming you had lunch?) you have only eating about 309?

Snacking on veggies is good, nuts are always a good source of protein and omega 3 (almonds, peanuts, etc - unsalted), fruit (sparingly because of the sugar). I really wonder what you're eating though - would be easier to increase meal calories too.
  • kthom
    kthom Posts: 175
    Options
    Maybe make your diary public and others will give you advice.
  • jenlayport
    jenlayport Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    how can I do that?
  • jenlayport
    Options
    nevermind-its public!
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    go to "My Home"
    click on "settings"
    click on "diary settings"
    scroll to bottom of page
    click on "public"
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am wrong but if you are eating 1200 calories ( or are alloted that) and breastfeeding you should be comsuming more not less. I always thought that breastfeeding moms need an extra 500 calories a day.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Nuts, olive oil, whole milk, cheese, greek yoguert, cottage cheese, fruit are a few things to increase calories. It's very easy to raise calories 500-1000 calories without adding large quantities of food.

My suggestion is to pre-plan tomorrow's food. That way you can adjust and add/subtract until you reach your goal, before the day is over and it's too late. When I am on a strict calorie restriction, I have to do that or I will be under or over.

Good luck!
  • jenlayport
    Options
    yes, but Im not exclusively BFing anymore. I figure I probably burn about 300-350 calories a day by BFing, so I add that as an 'exercise' in my daily routine. Thats probably why Im so far under goal.
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    Could put some peanut butter or something on that morning toast for more protein and calories. I also like to snack on vegetables with hummus or low-cal dips. Guacamole, depending on the brand is doable too. They sell 100-calorie packs of one brand. With some veggies or baked chips that can be a filler.

Maybe switch to full calorie yogurt instead of the low cal. No need to get reduced calories if you're having problems eating enough. Cheese. Yum. Sargento's cheese sticks are good.

Blue Diamond makes snack packs of various nuts.

You could also throw some breakfast meat with those eggs. I get Oscar Meyer bacon. Not a ton of calories and really yummy. They also have canadian bacon I get to throw into the eggs for an omelet.

Invest in some good snack/granola bars. Kashi makes some good ones. I also like the NUT-rition by Planters.
  • jmbender4
    Options
    I agree with the last poster, ditch the low cal yogurt. I am big fan of avocado, and olive oil on just about anything. Good luck !
  • jenlayport
    Options
    thank you so much for your suggestions. I really hope eating more will help me weigh less because Ive been stuck on this plateau for a month or so & couldnt figure out why! Im def going shopping tonight for some more goodies. I just had a glass of 1% milk, a banana & about to munch on a spoonfull of peanut butter. Never in a million years would I think that eating this much was GOOD for me! Love it!
  • pricebs
    Options
    I seem to be waaaay under for my goals. I am on a 1200/day diet. I am still nursing my baby (which I figured burns about 350 calories now) and work out 4-5 days a week. Wed (the day I started MFP) I was 800 cal under goal, yesterday 756, and today I have 1241 to go (haven't eaten dinner yet). I feel like I eat normally and Im just not hungry. What are some snacks/ideas that are high in calories & are healthy? If I keep on this track will I not get the results I want?

I am in the same boat as yourself. I am way under my calorie intake and totally misguided about this thing. So any information you can share would be very helpful!!!!!