Military Fitness

Options
2»

Replies

• jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5'2" And female, I weigh 141lbs, which is normal for my height and build. I've always been more on the "curvaceous" side. I am more worried about strength, endurance and some inches around the middle than actual weight loss.

I'm 5'2" also and did Army basic 15 years ago in South Carolina in the summer. Get ready to sweat! The recommendations to start a running program like Couch to 5k and a pushup challenge or program are legit. If you can already run 1.5-3 miles non-stop, and want to improve your speed/endurance, sprint intervals can help. If you have access to a gym or a weights set, I would highly recommend trying to get in a round of something like Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, or New Rules of Lifting for Women. These programs are designed for increasing strength and the progressive loading will help strengthen muscles and tendons and increase bone density. All this will help you reduce the risk of injury during periods of prolonged activity. Before leaving for basic I started hitting the gym and ran (sort of) and also hit the weight machines, but I had no real plan so it was inefficient. I did start to work out with the ROTC on campus and realized I wasn't in great shape at all. Basic training changed that for sure and it was all progressive. Do what you can. Work on the three basics of the PT test: push-ups, sit-ups, run. The rest will fall into place.

ETA: Fixed grammar.
  • bigdaddyrobb
    bigdaddyrobb Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    http://www.afpc.af.mil/affitnessprogram/charts.asp

This will show you what you need to work towards.
    Also do not take more than a small light weight duffle bag with you. The first night right off the bus we stood at attention for what seemed like hours holding our gear. Anyone who dropped their stuff was immediately attacked by multiple TI's and just trashed. If you are close to being overweight you will probably be a "Road Guard" and get extra attention so dont stress about it too much, it will be different from anything you have ever done but it will be a great experience.

USAF 1988-1992
  • chelseafisher5648
    chelseafisher5648 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Bootcamp sucked but I would do it again if I could I dropped 2o lbs an was n best shape of my life unfortunately I came home an quit running which made those pe test every 6 months horrible. I didn't do anything to prepare. they separated us into 3 groups based on running speed a, b, c they had us run in the morning when coolest part of day an they ease u into it gradually getting longer an faster. By the end I loved how I felt at the end of a run. full of energy an a tingly feeling runners high which I havnt been able to reach since. We ran every other day one day would be cardio an next run with sundays off. but even the every other run day would b switched one run day was your miles run and the next run day was laps of run walk run walk for the 30 minutes to get u to be able to regulate your breathing an heart beat it would go up then u calm it down. u will b ok don't stress almost everyone is in the same boat going in. As for heat if it was to hot we would do cardio inside and sometimes in midday if temps hit high enough we had to quit working and sit in shade until advisory said other wise. they have different uniform standards for different heat levels and they will make u drink so much water u will pee clear at end of day lol we use to joke there answer for everything was water headache water, cramps water, fatigue water, broke leg drink some water. they will have time where they have u take a knee when they speak and u have to drink all your water. we had beads on a strap an everytime we emptied are water we moved a bead so it was monitored how much u r drinking. I just told myself as the day began to just make it to lunch and when it hit lunch time I thought the day is half way done it
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    I got nothing other than props to you!!! I wish I would've joined. Good luck!!!!
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Bootcamp sucked but I would do it again if I could I dropped 2o lbs an was n best shape of my life unfortunately I came home an quit running which made those pe test every 6 months horrible. I didn't do anything to prepare. they separated us into 3 groups based on running speed a, b, c they had us run in the morning when coolest part of day an they ease u into it gradually getting longer an faster. By the end I loved how I felt at the end of a run. full of energy an a tingly feeling runners high which I havnt been able to reach since. We ran every other day one day would be cardio an next run with sundays off. but even the every other run day would b switched one run day was your miles run and the next run day was laps of run walk run walk for the 30 minutes to get u to be able to regulate your breathing an heart beat it would go up then u calm it down. u will b ok don't stress almost everyone is in the same boat going in. As for heat if it was to hot we would do cardio inside and sometimes in midday if temps hit high enough we had to quit working and sit in shade until advisory said other wise. they have different uniform standards for different heat levels and they will make u drink so much water u will pee clear at end of day lol we use to joke there answer for everything was water headache water, cramps water, fatigue water, broke leg drink some water. they will have time where they have u take a knee when they speak and u have to drink all your water. we had beads on a strap an everytime we emptied are water we moved a bead so it was monitored how much u r drinking. I just told myself as the day began to just make it to lunch and when it hit lunch time I thought the day is half way done it
    You sure do have the grammar of someone in the military!
    What this person said pretty much dead on.

Get on your running, pushups and situps. It is not nearly as difficult as your mind thinks it is. Just put up with the DS's BS and get used to getting smoked for no reason at all. No need to get mad about it, just do what they say and the time passes quickly.

Goodluck.
  • carmenkacharos
    Options
    Sure is rude to comment on someone's unfortunate grammar, especially since your own is so lacking. Also, the perception that everyone in the military is uneducated is incorrect. I resent your attitude.
    [/quote]

Get on your running, pushups and situps. It is not nearly as difficult as your mind thinks it is. Just put up with the DS's BS and get used to getting smoked for no reason at all. No need to get mad about it, just do what they say and the time passes quickly.

Goodluck.
    [/quote]
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Sure is rude to comment on someone's unfortunate grammar, especially since your own is so lacking. Also, the perception that everyone in the military is uneducated is incorrect. I resent your attitude.

Goodluck.
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    Actually, my grammar is quite good and I scored extremely high on the ASVAB and military DLAB language testing.
    When you get into the military, if you should pass the physical fitness aspect, you will see what I am talking about. I have seen man misspelled words on military signs and documents and even on a memorial rock!

I never said everyone in the military is uneducated. There are many highly educated and intelligent people in the Armed Forces.
    Just give it a few years and you will look back and laugh about how correct my statement is.
  • Slulik
    Slulik Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Anyone in the Canadian forces (Reg or Res)? Looking to join?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    As a former Marine I'll just tell you not to sweat it...it's just the Air Force...

JK and good luck...you'll do just fine. Oorah...