dieting and not losing weight

Options
I started the south beach diet on Monday, and the scale has not budged! I read that you lose between 8-13 pounds in phase one. I have been very good about sticking to the foods that are allowed in phase one, but I'm beginning to lose motivation because I am not seeing results :ohwell: . Its not even like my clothes are fitting any better. I have even been exercising a little bit more than normal. Has anyone else had this problem?

Replies

• eag8302
    eag8302 Posts: 14
    Options
    Don't give up, stick to it! :smile:
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Whoa! You just started Monday! Give your body time to adjust to the new plan! Check the scale again on Monday.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Today is Friday. Anything that has remarkable results in 5 days is not realistic. Keep tracking your calories and keep exercising and eventually the weight will come off. Keep in mind that you want some sort of diet that is reasonable to keep up for the rest of your life rather than a fad diet or the weight you lose will just come back. Good luck!
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    You can't expect to lose weight in 4 days. I think the problem isn't your progress, but your expectations. I don't know a lot about South Beach or how long a phase is, but healthy weight loss is 1-2 pounds a week. If it's encouraging you to lose more than that, then it's a fad diet, and not a healthy way to lose weight.

I would recommend not weighing yourself more than once a week, and weighing yourself at the same time in the same conditions every weigh in. Our bodies naturally fluctuate up to 5 pounds in the same day, so trying to track change day by day is tricky.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    There is no quick way to lose weight successfully, it is a lifestyle change. There will be weeks where you don't notice a difference from one week to another but you need to commit to changing your habits and lifestyle with or without weight loss your goal should be to get healthy, eat health, be active.

You just started on Monday you need to keep with it. Also make sure you are not eating too few calories.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Whoa! You just started Monday! Give your body time to adjust to the new plan! Check the scale again on Monday.

Ditto
  • lesley12345
    lesley12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    First of all, if you only started the diet on Monday, you aren't going to see too much of a result. It's only been 4 days. Don't be so hard on yourself to see results in such a short amount of time. I know you are anxious to see results, but this is a process that takes time, you don't want to lose 8lbs in a few days, a pound-two pounds of week is more realistic and substantial. It's hard, but you have to be patient with yourself and your diet plan. I got frustrated as well the first couple weeks, I wanted to see a difference right a way, but it didn't happen that quickly. Now here I am 4 months later and I lost over 35lbs, it will happen. Stay positive and don't give up!
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    You need to find an exercise activity that's fun to do (dancing, swimming, cycling, tennis, etc.) and plan to do that activity 5 days/week. Adding exercise to your weight loss program does the following:

1-boosts your metabolism so you burn calories while you sleep
    2-raises your HDL portion of total cholesterol (the "good" part)
    3-lowers the LDL portion of total cholesterol (the "bad" part)
    4-boost your self-confidence
    5-tones muscles
    6-lowers heart rate
    7-lowers blood pressure
    8-puts a happy smile on your face

Go for it!

I'm 73 and I'm doing it. Join me in the fun of becoming healthier.

Claire :)
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Are You watching your calories too? A friend of mine did south beach but she gained weight bc she ate the foods she was supposed to, but too much of them. I personally could never do low carb, any diet that makes you omit nutrients you need isn't good. You need whole grains and healthy, complex carbs.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Get a tape measure and USE IT! There are some weeks where the scale doesn't budge and yet I loose inches so that is motivation to keep me going.

You're body is getting used to these changes and it can take up to 6 weeks for these internal changes to show on the outside so you need to give yourself a lot of time.

This interestingly is about the time that most people decide to give up because nothing is happening and they get impatient.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    It's only been four days. You didn't put on the weight in a week, you're not going to lose it in a week! Besides, with diets like South Beach or Atkins, the vast majority of the weight lost in the first week is simply water, not fat. Don't sweat it. Keep at it, and the weight will come off eventually.
  • manleyzoo
    manleyzoo Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Quote from Claire:
    You need to find an exercise activity that's fun to do (dancing, swimming, cycling, tennis, etc.) and plan to do that activity 5 days/week. Adding exercise to your weight loss program does the following:

1-boosts your metabolism so you burn calories while you sleep
    2-raises your HDL portion of total cholesterol (the "good" part)
    3-lowers the LDL portion of total cholesterol (the "bad" part)
    4-boost your self-confidence
    5-tones muscles
    6-lowers heart rate
    7-lowers blood pressure
    8-puts a happy smile on your face

Go for it!

I'm 73 and I'm doing it. Join me in the fun of becoming healthier.

Claire :)
    End quote

Claire, you hit the nail on the head!! I am a new convert to exercise. I used to HATE it, but not now!!
  • baker_c
    baker_c Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Stick with it and give it time.
    Good luck!

:smile: :smile:
  • jmbender4
    Options
    I agree, the South Beach diet does not work unless you burn more than you eat. Any diet that restricts food groups is not for me :)
  • chocolatnoir
    chocolatnoir Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I did South Beach a couple of different times over the past few years and even though I lost (water) weight in Phase 1 it came right back when I started eating carbs again. No more South Beach for me, ever.

Back to your question- give yourself time.
  • lulu_beans
    lulu_beans Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My mom tried both South Beach and Adkins. She GAINED weight on both. Some diets are not meant for some people. This may be one that doesn't work for you. If it doesn't, try something else, but don't give up.

Good luck!
  • irishgirl207
    Options
    Thanks for all of the comments. I think I have watched one too many weight lose "reality" shows and it has altered my sense of weight loss reality :smile: Slow and steady wins the race and I am definitely in this weight loss battle for the long run. Everyone is right, the weight didn't get put on in 2 weeks and it definitely won't come off in 2 weeks! I am going to stick with watching what eat and hopefully it pays off. I am the type of person that needs to see some sort of positive result in the beginning to keep me going.

Thanks again everyone :happy: