Fruits that are "off limits" when dieting

Options
So, I've heard from several different sources that eating certain fruits when dieting can throw you off your weight loss, such as bananas, grapes, avocados, mangoes, coconut, dried fruits, etc. Is it true that these will slow down losing weight? I find it hard to swallow when anyone tells me to avoid fruits in general. While they may be high in calorie content, they certainly provide essential vitamins and minerals. Also, are there any vegetables I should avoid? What are your thoughts on this? Should I avoid these foods or keep eating them in moderation?

Replies

• vayax
    vayax Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but you should not avoid any of those. Yes, they are high in calories, but also high in nutrients. Just eat them within your calories ;)
  • lildebbie
    lildebbie Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    in my opinion, even fruits in higher calories are still okay. I wouldn't avoid them, if you like them eat them.
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but you should not avoid any of those. Yes, they are high in calories, but also high in nutrients. Just eat them within your calories ;)

I agree!
  • cem789
    cem789 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    it depends

do you have any other foods that are 'off limits'? they are better than a bar of chocolate or chips!

i would fill up on fruit :) just make sure you dont go over your calories
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Don't avoid any fruit. Don't eat 12 bananas a day because the sugar/carbs will cause you to go over. But don't treat any food full of nutrients as "off limits". Avocadoes, in particular are full of good healthy fats. Don't eat a full avocado a day, but weigh it (if you can) or just eat a 1/4 of one a day!
  • jtapp9
    jtapp9 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I can only go by experience. When I was eating healthier and eating bananas, at least one everyday for either breakfast or a snack, I was becoming healthier, learning new eating habits, AND losing weight. When I quit eating the bananas and was not concerned with eating healthier for awhile I gained weight back.

I'm back on my banana a day and eating healthier in general again, and I am losing weight again. I think fruit is like anythiing else, just be accountable for it.
  • jenneyd
    jenneyd Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    sounds crazy to me! lol I had a trainer tell me if I was going to eat any fruit to make it a banana. also had someone who just won first place in a fitness competition say eat grapes after a workout, because they help with muscle recovery.
  • jennlee80
    jennlee80 Posts: 142
    Options
    I think ANY fruit is fine in moderation! Most dried fruits tend to have additional sugars added in, which will up your calorie and sugar intake. I try to stick to berries as much as possible-since they seem to have a lower sugar content than most others. Good luck!!!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I don't see any reason why you should avoid any particular fruit or veggie unless you have a food allergy. Fruits are high in natural sugar, but it's okay in moderation. What you should really be trying to avoid are processed foods, added and artificial sugars, trans-fats and things like that.
  • ahbach2005
    Options
    if your are first starting a diet they may say that

Some diets say that banana's, carrots and some nuts and fruits spike your glucose levels and mess with your metabolism.

Spread them out over the day

or just give it a week or so and eat them again

There is alot to be said for keeping your blood sugar levels somewhat even thru the day

Honestly if it grows in the ground or on a tree it can't be that bad for you
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree, with the possible exception of dried fruit. It is REALLY easy to eat a lot of calories with dried fruit. It's my weakness... you can imagine how a few handfuls of raisins would be way too many grapes to eat if they were still hydrated, but it's the same amount of sugar (and sometimes they have added sugar/oil). Dried fruit is a bit more like candy, to me. Still eat them, but be aware because they are addictive and so sugary and yummy!!
  • kacylaine
    kacylaine Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Nothing is off limits. Fruit is yummy, it's good for you, most of it is really low cal, it's good as a snack, it's good with breakfast, it's good now, it's good later....Eat it! Some magazine or article or website or something is always telling us that certain food is "bad" or that other foods are "good." Really, there is no good or bad food, in my mind. There are some foods you should limit (i.e. ice cream, my weakness!) and others you should eat lots of, but eating bananas is not going to make you fat. I've seen that too, and for the life of me, I can't figure out how on earth a banana is causing belly fat!!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I count the natural sugars found in fruit towards my daily carbs. Some have a higher sugar content than others (my Bartlett pear had 25g and my large Fuji apple had 11g). I think the berries have the lowest sugar content.

Some fruits have a high GI Index, some moderate, some low.

All fruit is good for you but I go easy on it. I have one piece of fruit a day.

Yes - go easy on dried fruit, fruit juices and jelly of course. Jelly is the junk food of the fruit world.
  • JayLee127
    Options
    Great question. I am struggling with this one myself because I've been told that fruits are high in sugar which spikes your blood sugar levels and causes you to stop burning fat. In staying on track with this thought, simple carbs are out too. I hear no clementines, corn, grapes, etc. Mangos are OK, green anything is good. Key to cutting weight quickly is to pack more protein into your diet and cut as much sugar as possible, which unfortunately does mean certain fruits and veggies. If you are into a lifestyle change and healthy eating, then the fruits and veggies won't hurt. A banana will be a better choice over a snickers bar any day!:wink:
  • PaperDahlia
    PaperDahlia Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I agree..i don't think you should avoid any particular fruits. Perhaps the key is really 'moderation'.. especially where fruits that are high on the glycemic index are concerned. There are those that are of the belief that too much sugar (yes, even 'natural' sugar), can lead the body to insulin resistance... because if you have too many processed carbs in your diet with too many fruits, you're overloading your system with sugars... so like anything, it's all about balance and moderation. I agree that fruits have many valuable vitamins (and let's not forget they also contain water, which is important for our bodies). So yes, you should eat them. Just try to figure out which work best for you and your diet. For me, I eat a banana every day at breakfast, and i have some fresh fruit later in the day for dessert.
  • ciaobella47
    ciaobella47 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I think it all comes back to a lifestyle change. Learning to eat what's good for our bodies, changing our taste buds, .... it's all just as important as losing the weight. I'd eat the fruit, just do so in moderation and with your calorie limit in mind.
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Fruits are great and a huge part of your balanced nutrition. However, track the sugar grams and add them into your daily allotment. All of your sugars should be from "natural sources," like fruits and vegetables. This is especially true during your active weight loss weeks and months. Processed cakes, pies, candy, cookies and so forth shouldn't play a large part in your diet -- even during maintenance. But go for the fruits that you enjoy! Just check the sugar grams and adjust the quantity size -- save the other half in a baggie for the next day.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    The only reason they say to stay away is that some fruits and vegetables have a high GI index than others. (They spike blood sugar faster.)

Fruits Glycemic Index Score Carbohydrate G.I. Type
    Apple 39 12 g Low G.I
    Apple Juice 40 10 g Low G.I
    Apricots 57 7.5 g Med G.I
    Banana 54 23 g Low-Med G.I
    Cantaloupe Melon 65 3 g Med-High G.I
    Cherries 22 10 g Low G.I
    Grapefruit 25 6 g Low G.I
    Grapefruit Juice 48 8 g Med G.I
    Grapes 46 15 g Low-Med G.I
    Kiwi Fruit 52 9 g Med G.I
    Mango 56 14.5 g Med G.I