Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Scales and other WL accessories

I was looking at adding some new accessories to my new lifestyle. I don't want to just pick something affordable but also hear the good and bad sides. If anyone has not only suggestions on scales but a link to the product that would be great. I am also looking for pedometer or something that better measures cals burned.

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    HI

As per Consumer Reports article " All digital scales are mostly accurate". Link below

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/scales/buying-guide.htm

A pedometer measures steps. they are inexpensive.

I use a Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) to measure calories burned while exercising. Mine is Polar with a heartband. Model FT7

Good luck in your healthy journey
  • daalmonette
    daalmonette Posts: 19 Member
    Thank you for your post. I will definitely check out the link.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Well I can tell you what I use and why.

Fitbit Flex. (www.fitbit.com) My coworkers had them and when I got mine I instantly had quite a few friends to add to my challenge board. I really love the interface on both the website and the phone. I paid for the premium account (a reasonable $50 annual fee) to get more detailed weekly reports and the trainer.

Arai scale (www.fitbit.com). Our old scale broke (cleaning crew broke it, it was glass). This one tied into our WiFi and automatically recognizes us and sends our data to FitBit.

Oxo Good Grips Stainless Steel Food Scale with Pull Out Display (available at Amazon for about $50). Since I bake and cook a lot I was looking for more features then the basic food scale. The pull out display is awesome for when you have a big plate or bowl. It can handle up to 11 pounds, which is great if you are dealing with heavy food or dishes when baking/cooking. It also lets you know how close you are to the maximum weight (great if you are hitting tare a lot as you add ingredients). The stainless plate top comes off for hand washing.

Title Nine is a great shop for workout bras, huge range of styles and sizes. I prefer more of a traditional bra style (back clasps, separate cups, underwire) and found quite a few I like there.

If you are going to walk a lot, spend the money on good workout socks (not just plain cheap athletic socks) and be fitted for shoes. Keep a blister kit in the bathroom just in case.

GNC Total Lean 25 is a decent protein/meal replacement shake (well except for the French Vanilla, which needs frozen fruit to make it palatable). It's a great way to control the calorie count for breakfast while still getting lots of fiber and protein.

If you really want to splurge (or have a birthday coming up) and listen to music on your phone, may I suggest Jaybird Freedom Sprint (www.jaybird.com) bluetooth headphones? I can walk with my phone in a pocket or in the pouch hanging off the leash and not have to bother with any wires, plus I can answer calls on it. Awesome sound, very comfortable. I originally got them so I could do stuff that required my hands (like use a weight machine) without a cord in my way or keeping me from putting my phone under the bench.
  • gvplease
    gvplease Posts: 1
    I bought a scale from MIRA brands on amazon. It is called the MIRA bathroom scale with handle. About 20 something dollars. Check it out. Have had to for a little while. No problems with it.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    It depends what your workout is going to be I guess. The only thing I enjoy doing is walking, so that's all I do for cardio. Usually an hour a day. My fitbit provides the motivation I need to get me out of the house some days.

As far as a scale, a digital for sure, but they're all basically accurate. I might save for the Aria, cause I'm enamored with it's MFP connection, but it's too rich for my blood right now.

If you want a more accurate calorie count, or you're doing cardio other than walking/running, a pedometer won't do any good, I know my fitbit one doesn't measure elliptical or weight training or any of that other stuff. I don't eat most of my exercise calories anyway (on advice of my diabetes educator) so I just don't count those.

Generally, I think you'll find most people are quite happy with fitbit products.

And I second the bluetooth headphones! I'm so jealous of my sister every time I send my phone flying cause I caught the cord on something.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,059 Member
    I have a digital scale from CVS; costed less than $20 for it. I actually think it was closer to $10. Great product, and very accurate. Food scale wise, I bought my Taylor food scale from Walmart for around $24. It's an extremely useful tool for the kitchen! Made me realize the items I was overlogging (like chicken), and the items I was underlogging (like hummus)