I hate counting calories

Options
I've never taken weight-loss super seriously because I hate counting what I eat. I hate trying to think of what I'll eat today that will fill me, be healthful, and not blow the rest of the day.

Eating wasn't meant to be homework! But this hurry-up and please-me-now society we live in has made 'easy' eating such a deadly path to trod. It takes work in todays world to make sure you're eating what you think you are, and the right portions of it.

I look forward to the day when my head, eyes, tongue, and stomach are all conditioned to look for the healthy things first, know how much is what I need, and it isn't such a headache to get this done.

Oh--and my head to convince my body that it's good to exercise. I used to do it all the time when I was in high school. Now it hurts. And I ache. Ugh. But this one isn't society and the food industry. This one is my own lazy butt. I'll get there. I promise.

How do you make the calorie counting part of a healthy change feasible?

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    It just becomes part of your routine like brushing your teeth. Try to be positive about it though. A change in attitude goes a long way to making it much more bearable :)
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I dont really count anymore..BUT I look at every label and keep myself aware of how many calories and what size is a serving...that way I dont go over....when i was counting i just carried one of those super small notebooks lol
  • ShunkyDave
    ShunkyDave Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to sound negative. Sorry.

But you force me to recognize that I'm resentful of my past decisions. I want to blame everyone or everything else for how I got to where I am today, but that's not fair. I did this.

*sigh*

It's exciting to envision my end goal becoming reality, and that's a positivity I feed on. I will try harder to sound more positive about this endeavor. :)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Honestly, after the first month or so it just became part of my regular routine. Although I could probably not track and be okay now - I know the general nutrition in the common foods I eat since I've been tracking awhile, I continue to track it because it forces me to be aware of everything I'm eating. It's easy to slip up and have an extra bite here, a cookie there, etc. and before I know it I'm up 10 pounds!

Try pre-planning your days - spend 30 min or so in the morning or the evening before to log everything you can, then at the end of the day (or whenever is convenient) go and adjust for anything you ate differently from your plan.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    It's like any other activity. The more you do it, the easier it becomes. It becomes part of the routine, and less of a hassle.

The good news is this site makes it really easy for you. If you have an Android or an iPhone, make sure to get the app too if you haven't already. That makes logging even easier when you can do it from your phone.

If you stick with this, I promise you will start to see results.
  • mmellor
    mmellor Posts: 146
    Options
    I have the fitness pal app on my Ipod and I find that helps because it's always with me...it does become a little addictive!! Good Luck!
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to start slowly and add other things in once you've got a handle on the first thing.

Since "they" say that diet is 90% and exercise is 10%, I would start tracking calories first...not even worrying about meal planning and such, just tracking everything you put down your gullet. Once you see what you eat on a daily basis and are in the habit of tracking, you could start to meal plan.
    I do meal planning for a whole week. I eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch during the work week and a different dinner so there is some variety. Make a menu, and buy groceries for the whole week.
    THEN add exercise in once you've got a handle on the eating.

You can do it. Just start out small. And remember even if you mess up one meal and eat too much, get back on track the very next meal. Don't beat yourself up about it, just learn from it and move on. Don't wait for the next day to restart.

Success lies in how we get back on the horse so to speak...
  • kimmyb1213
    Options
    Be sure to buy healthy foods... natural foods. Most of the items you find in the inner isles at the supermarket are filled with ingredients that are not necessary and make them unhealthy. Try to stick to the outside of the market. Fresh foods are always a plus. I am a sucker for all the favorites so I recently purchased a cook book that shows me how to cook them with healthy/better ingredients... "Now Eat This" is the book. If you crave (like me) burgers, pizza, mac & cheese, and sloppy joes this book is great and the food is amazing. Just stick to it and don't fall victim to the millions of false truths that are out there.
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters. In the beginning it was rather painfully slow and tedious, but after a few months it became routine. It gets easier when your recently used and most used lists are populated with your favourite foods :)
    A year down the line it's quick and painless and I feel odd if I don't log!

Good luck and hang in there!
  • pricebs
    Options
    I've never taken weight-loss super seriously because I hate counting what I eat. I hate trying to think of what I'll eat today that will fill me, be healthful, and not blow the rest of the day.

Eating wasn't meant to be homework! But this hurry-up and please-me-now society we live in has made 'easy' eating such a deadly path to trod. It takes work in todays world to make sure you're eating what you think you are, and the right portions of it.

I look forward to the day when my head, eyes, tongue, and stomach are all conditioned to look for the healthy things first, know how much is what I need, and it isn't such a headache to get this done.

Oh--and my head to convince my body that it's good to exercise. I used to do it all the time when I was in high school. Now it hurts. And I ache. Ugh. But this one isn't society and the food industry. This one is my own lazy butt. I'll get there. I promise.

How do you make the calorie counting part of a healthy change feasible?

I tell you this...I am in your shoes right now...but I will say that I have begin writing down what I intake on a daily basis in a spiral notebook and then input the infor into this system and its become a way of living now.

Try it out and remember the decision to do the "right thing" is ALL UP TO YOU! Good Luck
  • marisol7649
    marisol7649 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    You know before it was work to eat.Think about before we had stay at home mothers who sole job was to prepare meals tend to the home. remember when fried chicken and mashed potatoes were a sunday dinner because it was a special occasion.
    Now we can eat it for lunch or dinner anyday of the week.
    It does take work and time to eat a healthy homecook meal because we have to work. I am guilty of being lazy and taking the easy way out and eating out.
    Food is meant to be enjoyed to fuel our bodies. The right kind of food will make you feel and look better, you eat unhealthy or too much food and it shows, you are overweight and tired.
    Counting calories is a way to relearn our relationship with food, What is too much what is healthy.
    We are all here because we have a bad relationship with food when we learn to take care of our bodies through food and exercise and will not be so difficult anymore.
    ( I am still trying to learn too) sorry about spelling,hello spell check.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I really find its all a matter of baby steps, and for me, planning. It's not too hard once you find your own 'niche'.

Last year I decided to lose weight, but didn't really lose much for the first 8 mo of the year- because I wasn't being super strict to any thing, and was just trying out things and making notes of what I liked and didn't like, and what kept me full and didn't ; exercises I enjoyed and didnt, etc. Since September, I've developed what I call a "food skeleton" which is just a list of the TYPES of food I should plan to reach for at each meal but which is subject to adjustment as my schedule needs. It's invaluable because I've found it almost effortless to make my food choices/plan my meals and so I can turn my concentration towards pushing myself in working out.

This is what puts me in my cal range, maybe you can adapt it for you:

Breakfast: Something protein filled- I like eggs with veggies, or pb on cinnamon rasin toast (with some berries if they are in season)
    Mid morning snack- Veggie with Hummus or Greek Yogurt (I <3 Chobani Honey)
    Lunch: Sandwich, Veggie Wrap, Grilled Chick Salad, or soup --- any of these with Fruit (so good for getting over the afternoon sleepies)
    Afternoon snack- Veggie with Hummus or Greek Yogurt (I <3 Chobani Honey)
    Dinner: 3-4 oz of meat/fish, 2 oz of grain, 1-2 veggie servings
    After dinner treat: Chocolate milk or something fun but little- 1/2 godiva raspberry bar & freeze the rest

The snacks are interchangeable- The greek yogurt is really filling, so I have it early if I'm hungry but if I'm not, I keep it til the afternoon so I'm full when I get home. Also instead of the yogurt sometimes I have a Luna bar or Cliff bar.

Best of luck!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I thought I could get by with doing the eyeball test. But it cost me 20 lbs. So I'm back tracking everything again. Keeping track on MFP just helps keep me accountable.

Good News: It's like riding a bicycle.
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    Me too!! I joined here in September I think, then didn't even log back in for a while, then I'd log good days only, and even that not consistently, but now I do it everyday and it does get easier and become part of your routine. I think it kind of just clicked when I started seeing the difference in what I THOUGHT I was doing and what I was REALLY doing to my body!!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to sound negative. Sorry.

But you force me to recognize that I'm resentful of my past decisions. I want to blame everyone or everything else for how I got to where I am today, but that's not fair. I did this.

*sigh*

It's exciting to envision my end goal becoming reality, and that's a positivity I feed on. I will try harder to sound more positive about this endeavor. :)

You can definitely do it, just keep your chin up and take it one day at a time. :)
  • KnPierce78
    Options
    I don't. I live. There are plenty of ways to make sure you eat less. I did count calories when I lost a ton of weight in high school. it was in a small notebook too. But i don't have the patience to keep up with calories. it makes you obsessive. just notice your hunger when you eat and you'll eat less, thus lowering calorie intkae :) hope i helped :)
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I've only been counting for about 6 months but its made all the difference. I can now fine tune everything so that I gain or lose exactly what I want, all my nutrient needs are met, and I eat things like ice cream, hamburgers, pizza and bacon and drink beer regularly. After about a month, the counting just came naturally. I count even on days when I got way over because I know I will see it average out over the following days.
  • justtodayjen333
    justtodayjen333 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I used to feel this way, and sometimes still do. But the one thing that motivates me is that--it works! On the weeks I really track and stay around or below calorie goal, I have a loss! The other weeks when I'm more loose with it--not so much. I have also started to see the freedom as I track what I eat. I can still have treats and really good food and still stay within my cals and be on point, working towards my goals. This feels great to me! This feels like living. It can be very freeing. You really do have to change your mind set about it! Sometimes it's easier than others. Good luck!!