Exercising with a wound?

Options
So in late January, I had surgery to remove a tumor in my thoracic (upper) area of my back, and ended up having surgery again in early March to put a WoundVac on the back wound. The WoundVac is off, but I still have a regular dressing.
(I also had 4 rounds of chemo that I finished up in late April!)

Before chemo, I was 120-ish pounds? During the course of about 3 months, I gained 18 pounds and now I'm 138. Hey, being 138 isn't that bad for 5'10 I guess, but I really would like to get down to the 120-ish area.

I have to take in consideration that I did do a lot of swimming and water polo before chemo, and now being post-chemo, I can't go out into the sun that often or swim, because of the dressing on my back can't get soaked and I don't want to expose my wound to chlorine.

Also, because of my surgery, I can't exercise that moderately, and I usually do light exercise once a day.

I know losing 10-18 lbs won't come that quickly for me, in consideration of everything, but I guess if anyone has any recommendations for exercising post-chemo or with an (almost healed!) back wound, that's be really nice! Sorry if this is long. :smile:

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,639 Member
    Options
    Bump. I am scheduled for a nerve transplant.
  • 12pillows
    12pillows Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you need to focus on your diet more than anything.
    I know I find when I'm not doing a lot it's easier to reach for extra foods, so this should be your main goal.
    I can't really relate with the exercise thing. I had an ovary out in January, but I waited until the doctor said I was fine to go to the gym before I started doing anything, and even then I started doing light easy cardio, and stopping anytime anything felt too much.

So basically, watch your intake, exercise with caution (if the doctor said you can), and listen to your body.
  • idyllbook
    idyllbook Posts: 2
    Options
    That sounds good, thanks! I'm hoping to stay on track with what I eat and focus on being healthy haha