Do you think I look ok at this weight or go a little more?

Options

Replies

• sammama5
    sammama5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    What a drastic difference! I saw a previous post of yours on the success board, and I thought you look like an average grandpa. I don't put a lot of stock into the BMI numbers myself, so I would not insist that you have to lose more. There is a slight paunch to your belly, but by no means are you what I would consider an overweight individual.

The reason I don't like the BMI ranges is this:
    I am 5'8". At my heaviest (202) I was considered "obese." Right now, (169) I am teetering on the edge of "overweight" and therefore outside normal. I have a large frame and thick bones. I have been told by many people I don't need to lose any weight, but perhaps to keep working on my muscle tone.
    On the other hand, my 11 year old daughter who is active, strong, and healthy, is considered to be "underweight" at 4'8" and 60 lbs. However, she does not look unhealthy in any manner. She has a low body fat% and a smaller frame, but she is not unhealthy in any doctor's honest opinion.
  • nofoodforthemood
    Options
    I think you look fine but if your doctor wants you to go lower for your bmi then that might be a good idea. Are you nervous that your weight loss is almost over?
  • mhoeff1
    mhoeff1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I think you look amazingly handsome and fit. I do think if the dr thinks you should loose 4-10 more for health reasons then thats fine but if your happy where you are at right now then go for maintenance your doing wonderful !! so happy for you I bet you are feeling fantastic!!!
  • judimooregwynne
    Options
    Honestly, you look just fine to me. Maybe a little too thin. I wouldn't lose any more weight. Congratulations. You have done a great thing for yourself and your family. You have added years to your life and also a better quality of life. Well done! :happy: :happy:
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I think you look like you did a great job losing weight. Also, I don't think BMI is a perfect tool to measure overall health. My husband who is 6'3 and 190ish is technically overweight using the BMI. You would not look at him and think that he is overweight. The reason that his weight is "too high" is that he lifts weights. He had his body fat % measured, and he was at the low end of average for amount of body fat.

I would take all other measures of health into consideration too; like blood pressure, cholesterol, even getting your body fat % measured, etc.

I don't know what you are doing as far as physically to lose weight, but strength-training is a great way to improve your overall health.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    VqeFbe8.png

You sir, are truly an inspiration for all of us!!
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You look GREAT at that weight, and really you have made a fantastic transformation.

As to whether you should lose more, that is up to you and your doctor. How do you feel? Would 5 more pounds do much more for your health? Is it something you want to do more so because of the accomplishment of doing it?

I would say you don't HAVE to lose anything more, but if you WANT to, then go for it!
  • mart001
    mart001 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, all I did was walk and kept within my calories the whole time. I had a stroke 5 years ago leaving damage to my left side. Spent 2 weeks in intensive care and 5 weeks in the hospital followed by 2 months of physical therapy. Was paralyzed on the left side which got somewhat better, but still have nerve damage which leaves my fingers and toes with a burnt feeling and tingly and knee is tight. All from nerve damage the Dr said.
    I gained about 50 pounds getting to 282 before somebody told me about my fitness pal. i love computers and challanges , so i started it and for what ever reason, have been strong the whole time. i started walking maybe 500 steps a day, got a fitbit which motivated me more, and now 16 months later, i have walked over 1800 miles or about 12000-15000 steps almost everyday.
    I wish I could say I felt better, but the damage at this point will always be. Not in pain, just annoying more than anything. But as i went thru therapy, they told me how lucky i was, as many people with the type of stroke i had, do not survive and if they do, end up in a wheelchair. i was in a wheelchair at first, then to a walker, then to a cane and eventually nothing. balance still and i assume, always be a problem, but i know it could have been worse.
    My Dr was happy with 175, but it was my idea to go to 160, after seeing the BMI table. I see her every month and have been taken off a bunch of meds, but still on a bunch. My blood pressure is fine now, but still on some meds. chloesteral is fine, sugar is great. I have blood work done every month.
    oh well, that is my story... thanks for listening and feel free to contact me anytime... have a great night!!!
  • These_goto_11
    These_goto_11 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I think you look fine but if your doctor wants you to go lower for your bmi then that might be a good idea. Are you nervous that your weight loss is almost over?

This, and I would also go with what your doctor says. You look fabulous!
  • Watermelon_Crush
    Watermelon_Crush Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Have to agree with what everyone else has said....you look fabulous.

I'm sorry you still don't feel better, but hopefully you get satisfaction from knowing just how much kinder your new weight is on your body, especially joints and that knee....it might have been that would have gotten a lot more difficult with the weight on for a long time.

Good on you, it's taken me a lot longer to lose mine.
  • lwestmill
    lwestmill Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I think you look great at 165!

However, maybe the doctor is thinking you bump up and down 5 pounds during maintenance. Are you ok with a bounce of 165 to 170? Or are you ok with a bounce of 160-165? I can eat a pizza and water weight will throw me in a tale spin of 3-5 pounds of water weight and it takes 5 days to unload and get un-depressed. I have heart problems in my blood. My mother had a heart transplant by 65 years old and my brother had a stroke at 29 years old. I get it. You have to ask yourself WHY the doctor wants you to do this. He knows you better than anyone. I've looked at your stats and you weigh yourself to the ounce. You are pretty hard core to the diet and that is good. Please go back and ask your doctor why....he'll tell you.

Also, the lifting weights might be a good idea too. It will make you stronger, and tone you where you wont have to worry so much about the weight.

Good luck Marty and keep me posted.
  • Nessie112
    Nessie112 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous! :D Wow! I think you look awesome!
  • xplosion80
    xplosion80 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    What a great transformation sir. Respect!!

You look awesome. 10 more pounds will be good in my opinion.
    Good luck.
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Wow! You look amazing. I would stop right where you are. Maybe focus on toning if you are bothered by any "trouble spots," but I don't think you need to lose anymore weight.

Congratulations!
  • mart001
    mart001 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    well, i never went to the dr previously and my pressure was 260/140 when i had the stroke. Funny because i actually felt better then than now. Mostly tiredness, balance when walking, the nerve damage on my left side etc... but what can you do. they told me when you have 1 stroke, you are more likely to have a 2nd, and didnt want that, so knew i had yo do something to lessen my chances of a 2nd.
    the Dr told me she would reduce meds as i lost and that has happened, but was taking maybe 28 pills a day then, maybe 9 of them blood pressure pills alone. now maybe i am down to 14, so thats good. like i wrote in a post before, just a little upset as i figured with all this weight gone, i would feel better, but really dont. really cant stand long, balance off, but you know what? if i did not do this, i know i would not be at 282 like i was when i started. i would most likely be over 300. so i am happy.
    i am sure the dr never expected me to stick to it, but i am pretty competitive, and now at the point that i know i can have a piece of pizza or cake and maybe only gain a pound. but i now know it may take a week of being good to take that pound off. thats why i have been so good. i have got to the point where i would rather lose that pound than eat that food....
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    You look awesome right now!! If I were you I would practice maintaining. When I decided to start maintaining I actually lost weight faster than ever, and had to keep adjusting. You can always change you mind later if you want to.
  • LizaDK914
    LizaDK914 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You look great! Congrats.

I don't think you should lose more. However, I would also refer to the doc, since he/she is the one who knows your health.

Great job!
  • 22amber22
    22amber22 Posts: 5
    Options
    Amazing! You look great but how do you feel? Put your health first and you feel great I wouldn't worry too much. Those last few pesky pounds will come off in due time. Weight is just a number, if you are healthy now, then do what makes you happy! Best wishes to you!
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    That is an amazing transformation! You look good. I would never guess from it you even had a "before". I don't think another 5lbs would make you look too thin, if you determine that's in your best interest health-wise. I wouldn't go much further. I'd be tempted to get a Dexa scan for your body fat % so you could make a more informed choice on whether losing more is warranted. BMI is only a rough approximation. :)
  • AMOMONAJOURNEYTOCHANGEHERLIFE
    Options
    Well first congrats on all your progress! You look great!

Second who cares what we think. We do you think? How do you feel?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!