Hello, I'm BiLL.

Options
Hi everyone. I'm BiLL.
I'm 51, married with 3 almost adult children, and not in the best shape... Okay, I'm in terrible shape. My weight isn't a major problem, but my energy level or endurance is zilch, zero, nada. I'm a past smoker and am used to a basically sedentary life style. I know I can do this as long as I don't give in to temptation.
I just started this yesterday, so we'll see how it goes. I'll catch you all here on the message board.
Thank you.

Replies

• fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Good luck Bill!
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Hi BiLL! Welcome! Good for you for becoming an active member in your own fitness. :wink: This is a great place - the friends you'll make will really help inspire you and keep you on track. Best wishes! :flowerforyou:
  • mldoty
    mldoty Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi Bill just stay positive!
  • deboranski
    Options
    Well Bill, there is no time like the present! Once you get a hang on proper nutrition and a comfortable calorie intake you will start feeling better and having a bit more energy to get out for a walk with the wife, kids etc. which will help you gain more energy and want to do more and more. Once step at a time and if you fall off the wagon like the rest of us, just brush it off and get back on again! Good Luck!
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Welcome Bill. Reading your description I thought you were talking about me! However, I just came back here after months of being away. Feel free to add me as a friend. The more support we have the better. :smile:
  • Disciplined74
    Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Welcome !!

Eva
  • jefron
    jefron Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey there Bill,
    My only recomendation is that you take one change at a time. Once you have mastered that change then you can move to another. For example: You started tracking what you eat. By all means start trying to eat better but dont change things you would normally do. In a week or two of tracking then add some phisical activity. Walking is a great way to start. Once you have been walking for 2 or 3 weeks then move on to other things. A lot of people fail because they take on to much change at once. This is a marathon not a sprint. Slow and steady and you will reach your goals.
  • ♥jewelchristian♥
    ♥jewelchristian♥ Posts: 3,666 Member
    Options
    Hi Bill! Welcome to the best place on the inter-web! We're all here to support and motivate each other. Feel free to add me as a friend.

jewel :drinker:
  • Nadine32
    Nadine32 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Bill, nice to see you here! I wish you all the best success! Way to go!
  • LM_105
    LM_105 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Welcome Bill, a good place to be, just dive in and make contact who will give you lots of support!
  • Cardinal
    Options
    Hi Bill. I'm Doug and this is my second time around. I got pretty close to my goal and then life got in the way and next thing I know I'm back up. So, I can related to the low energy, etc.

I stumble across the website and I have to say it's an excellent tool that has help me. And the mobile apps are terrific. I use the Android version, so I always have it with me.

Remember, it's a journey and set a realistic goal for yourself (I choose a pound a week) and next thing you will see a difference come Spring.

If you have any questions or would like to learn more about what I have learned, I would be happy to share anything with you. Just ask.

Here's to a success in 2011!

Doug.
  • enworb77
    Options
    Thank you.
    I'm hoping the peer pressure will help me stay with it. It did help me quit soking.
  • enworb77
    Options
    Hi Doug,

Thanks for the encouragement. I very much understand how life can get in the way.

My wife showed me the website, and it just looked like something that might work. I've got a cold (1 of the worst I've had in a while), and haven't been up to doing much in the way of exercising lately. That wil change.

Again, thank you. And, yes, we can do this.

-BiLL
  • roslyn65
    roslyn65 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Bill, I wish you luck. I'm just starting out myself so I know how tough it is.
  • enworb77
    Options
    Thank you!
    I saw your post on running and that you're inspiration is a marathon. I'm starting a little slower. I'm just scheduled for a 5K so far. But who knows about the future.

-BiLL
  • enworb77
    Options
    Thank you.
    I know I can do this... Now I just have to go thru w/ it. :)

-BiLL
  • enworb77
    Options
    Thank you!
    I see your weight "problem" happened after 40. I had/have the same problem. I was thin (if not skinny) until around 40 also.

-BiLL
  • enworb77
    Options
    Thank you. I will.

-BiLL
  • enworb77
    Options
    Thank you.
  • enworb77
    Options
    Thanks! That's kind of the advice my wife gave me, as well as a few friends. Take it one day at a time. Weight taken of at a normal pace will stay off better than that of those quick diet plans, etc.

-BiLL