Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Hello, I'm BiLL.

Hi everyone. I'm BiLL.
I'm 51, married with 3 almost adult children, and not in the best shape... Okay, I'm in terrible shape. My weight isn't a major problem, but my energy level or endurance is zilch, zero, nada. I'm a past smoker and am used to a basically sedentary life style. I know I can do this as long as I don't give in to temptation.
I just started this yesterday, so we'll see how it goes. I'll catch you all here on the message board.
Thank you.

Replies

• fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    Good luck Bill!
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Hi BiLL! Welcome! Good for you for becoming an active member in your own fitness. :wink: This is a great place - the friends you'll make will really help inspire you and keep you on track. Best wishes! :flowerforyou:
  • mldoty
    mldoty Posts: 6
    Hi Bill just stay positive!
  • Well Bill, there is no time like the present! Once you get a hang on proper nutrition and a comfortable calorie intake you will start feeling better and having a bit more energy to get out for a walk with the wife, kids etc. which will help you gain more energy and want to do more and more. Once step at a time and if you fall off the wagon like the rest of us, just brush it off and get back on again! Good Luck!
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Welcome Bill. Reading your description I thought you were talking about me! However, I just came back here after months of being away. Feel free to add me as a friend. The more support we have the better. :smile:
  • Disciplined74
    Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
    Welcome !!

Eva
  • jefron
    jefron Posts: 3 Member
    Hey there Bill,
    My only recomendation is that you take one change at a time. Once you have mastered that change then you can move to another. For example: You started tracking what you eat. By all means start trying to eat better but dont change things you would normally do. In a week or two of tracking then add some phisical activity. Walking is a great way to start. Once you have been walking for 2 or 3 weeks then move on to other things. A lot of people fail because they take on to much change at once. This is a marathon not a sprint. Slow and steady and you will reach your goals.
  • ♥jewelchristian♥
    ♥jewelchristian♥ Posts: 3,666 Member
    Hi Bill! Welcome to the best place on the inter-web! We're all here to support and motivate each other. Feel free to add me as a friend.

jewel :drinker:
  • Nadine32
    Nadine32 Posts: 13 Member
    Hi Bill, nice to see you here! I wish you all the best success! Way to go!
  • LM_105
    LM_105 Posts: 515 Member
    Welcome Bill, a good place to be, just dive in and make contact who will give you lots of support!
  • Hi Bill. I'm Doug and this is my second time around. I got pretty close to my goal and then life got in the way and next thing I know I'm back up. So, I can related to the low energy, etc.

I stumble across the website and I have to say it's an excellent tool that has help me. And the mobile apps are terrific. I use the Android version, so I always have it with me.

Remember, it's a journey and set a realistic goal for yourself (I choose a pound a week) and next thing you will see a difference come Spring.

If you have any questions or would like to learn more about what I have learned, I would be happy to share anything with you. Just ask.

Here's to a success in 2011!

Doug.
  • Thank you.
    I'm hoping the peer pressure will help me stay with it. It did help me quit soking.
  • Hi Doug,

Thanks for the encouragement. I very much understand how life can get in the way.

My wife showed me the website, and it just looked like something that might work. I've got a cold (1 of the worst I've had in a while), and haven't been up to doing much in the way of exercising lately. That wil change.

Again, thank you. And, yes, we can do this.

-BiLL
  • roslyn65
    roslyn65 Posts: 6 Member
    Hi Bill, I wish you luck. I'm just starting out myself so I know how tough it is.
  • Thank you!
    I saw your post on running and that you're inspiration is a marathon. I'm starting a little slower. I'm just scheduled for a 5K so far. But who knows about the future.

-BiLL
  • Thank you.
    I know I can do this... Now I just have to go thru w/ it. :)

-BiLL
  • Thank you!
    I see your weight "problem" happened after 40. I had/have the same problem. I was thin (if not skinny) until around 40 also.

-BiLL
  • Thank you. I will.

-BiLL
  • Thank you.
  • Thanks! That's kind of the advice my wife gave me, as well as a few friends. Take it one day at a time. Weight taken of at a normal pace will stay off better than that of those quick diet plans, etc.

-BiLL