Why does it bother me that I did this?

Options
For the past several days I have had a calorie deficit of about 100 calories a day. Today it looked like I would have a deficit of 500 calories and I was so proud of myself ... But then I came home from bellydance class and was famished (stomach-growling-getting-cranky hungry) so I ate a burrito made with black beans, white rice, avocado and tomatillo. I still came in just below my limit but kind of disappointed that I was not able to have a bigger deficit.

Is that strange? Or is that a normal feeling for newbies?

Replies

• stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I don't think its strange. Everybody has their own little thing that matters to them. Some people its the days logged in streak, or the number on the scale, how many carbs they ate, ect. I say as long as you don't beat yourself up over it, what ever motivates you works! :wink:
  • TehBuggers
    TehBuggers Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty normal. Like Stephanieluvs said, everyone has a little thing that matters to them.

For me, when I started, I paid a lot of attention to how many remaining calories I had. It was a big deal to me, and made me feel like I was doing really good. Then as I got used to everything, I realized that even having only 2 calories to spare was still a 500 calorie deficit. Once I started thinking of it that way, I was fine to have an extra snack when I could fit it into my daily limit
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary and I have a question. I see that you're about 100 calories under your calorie goal every day. Do you think that's your deficit?
  • TheSageMage
    TheSageMage Posts: 18
    Options
    You were famished because you worked out! Tip: Moving your body burns energy. Calories are energy. After you class your body felt it needed more energy to continue. Sure, it might have broken down Fat or Muscle internally to get that energy, but that would have taken more energy.

You shouldn't feel so guilty about feeling hungry after a workout, just don't go nuts.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    For the past several days I have had a calorie deficit of about 100 calories a day. Today it looked like I would have a deficit of 500 calories and I was so proud of myself ... But then I came home from bellydance class and was famished (stomach-growling-getting-cranky hungry) so I ate a burrito made with black beans, white rice, avocado and tomatillo. I still came in just below my limit but kind of disappointed that I was not able to have a bigger deficit.

Is that strange? Or is that a normal feeling for newbies?

your calorie goal already had a deficit included... you dont need to create an extra deficit...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Sweetie, your calorie goal is a goal - what you're supposed to aim for to lose weight. It already has a deficit. When you're under your goal, you haven't reached your goal. It's a number to aim for, not an upper limit to avoid!
  • gem192
    gem192 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I definitely know what you mean. I know that my calorie goal already incorporates a deficit... but I almost feel like I'm being "extra good" if I stay well under it.

This week I have done so in order to make up for my TGI Friday's anniversary meal at the weekend, but it's something I do generally as well.

Just a problem us overachievers have I guess :p But don't feel too guilty if you aren't under it every single day, you're still at a deficit.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary and I have a question. I see that you're about 100 calories under your calorie goal every day. Do you think that's your deficit?

sounds like it..

OP your deficit is already built in...you should be eating all the calories in your goal...including exercise calories (or at least some of them)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What others said... but one suggestion for long term satiety.. increase protein, fats and fiber.. that will help keep you full longer.
  • PrincessTinyheart
    PrincessTinyheart Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Sorry I should have clarified what I mean by deficit... I know that the number of calories I am supposed to aim for already has a deficit included... what I meant was, a deficit BELOW that amount.

I see a lot of people here who eat below their goal calorie amount and that is what I am for.
  • PrincessTinyheart
    PrincessTinyheart Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I definitely know what you mean. I know that my calorie goal already incorporates a deficit... but I almost feel like I'm being "extra good" if I stay well under it.

This week I have done so in order to make up for my TGI Friday's anniversary meal at the weekend, but it's something I do generally as well.

Just a problem us overachievers have I guess :p But don't feel too guilty if you aren't under it every single day, you're still at a deficit.

Exactly!!! This is how I feel... Like I'm extra good and will reach my goal faster.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Exactly!!! This is how I feel... Like I'm extra good and will reach my goal faster.

the problem is, having too large a deficit can be detrimental to your weight loss.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options

It's not a race though, it's about building healthy habits so you can maintain. Try to get as close to your goal as you can, your body will thank you and you will never feel famished after a workout. Its okay if you don't always hit your goal, but not hitting it consistently can lead to giving up. Good Luck!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Sorry I should have clarified what I mean by deficit... I know that the number of calories I am supposed to aim for already has a deficit included... what I meant was, a deficit BELOW that amount.

I see a lot of people here who eat below their goal calorie amount and that is what I am for.

Just because a lot of people do that (um, I'm guilty, but I'm improving on that--learning to eat "right" amounts again), does not make it a good idea. Nor is it sustainable. Eat those calories (or some will say eat back only half, if you suspect the exercise calories are overstated--they sometimes are). That is one golden bit of advice right there. Do what your calculator tells you (i.e. eat back all workout cals), consistently. If there's accurate logging, and no weight loss, cut back 100-200kcals a day for two weeks (i.e. eat back only 1/2-3/4 of your exercise kcals) and reevaluate.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

the problem is, having too large a deficit can be detrimental to your weight loss.

Yup esp if your goal is low to begin with. For me to be 50-100 calories under is not a big deal I make up for it later...but I eat about 1900 a day atm...aiming for 2100...but if you are eating 1200-1400 and you are under consistently by 100-200 that is not good...you are not fueling your body for living in general or extra exercise.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options

Keep in mind, even if you hit your goal weight, doesn't mean you will hit your goal look.. Body composition has a greater impact on look than weight does. I can't tell you how many underweight women I know on this board who still aren't at their ideal look.. because they went a little extreme on the weight loss and lost muscle. Slowing down weight loss to preserve muscle mass, which increase or accelerate getting the body you like. Who knows, even at that point, you could weigh 10 lbs heavier but still have a leaner body.

See example below.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Your burrito sounds good and healthy. And if you were under your daily calorie goal I would say you did perfect.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Normal. I also strive for a 500/day deficit. Sometimes if I feel the need to eat higher, or even decide to have bigger portions of something out of want (rather than need) I push myself to move more. Running in place for 30 minutes on a mini trampoline is a good boost, low impact, to earn back those calories!
  • stopdropandstay
    stopdropandstay Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Not strange at all... That IS how my eating disorder progressed after all....Please be careful.
  • kimmijo88
    kimmijo88 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Sweetie, your calorie goal is a goal - what you're supposed to aim for to lose weight. It already has a deficit. When you're under your goal, you haven't reached your goal. It's a number to aim for, not an upper limit to avoid!

Completely agree!! We must remember this!!