Why Am I Not Losing Weight?

Options
So last week (Thursday) I started a diet and exercise plan. In the first four days (Thursday-Sunday), I lost nine pounds just dieting. My diet plan is as follows:

Breakfast: Egg whites (either scrambled or in an omlette) with veggies and seven triscuts
Snack: Some type of fruit (If I went to the gym, protein bar)
Lunch: Salad (sometimes with tuna, sometimes without) with oil and vinegar
Snack: Some type of fruit
Dinner: Chili with brown rice /or/ Salad topped with a plethora of veggies
Snack(only if I'm really hungry) Nuts or a vegetable.

Then on Monday, I started doing cardio and strength training (on alternating days) in addition to my dieting. However,my weight has already plateaued? I'm not sure why this is. Am I not eating enough calories maybe? I don't know. I'm constantly eating, so I can't see how that is. I work out for 30-60 minutes everyday (that's not including walking around the gym) and I don't eat back all of my calories. Only some. And I mean, I'm pretty overweight. About 100 pounds, if the internet is right (I'm 5'11" and weigh 280 thanks to Lexapro not being compatible with me. I'm usually around 245, but now I have more to lose and the ideal weight for someone as tall as me is apparently 170 or so) Shouldn't the weight be falling off?
I hope that's enough information for someone to help me out.

Replies

• hillysuze
    hillysuze Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you are new to exercise or new to a particular type of exercise, your body may be holding onto water. Someone on here can explain it better than I can. Also, are you eating enough calories? That's also an important consideration since your body needs a certain quota to function.

Keep exercising, dont give up!
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Dieting for one week and losing 9lbs is by no means a plateau.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    So you have lost 9 pounds in a week and are worried that you have plateaued. Err Sometimes words fail me.
  • theinnerme
    theinnerme Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are off to a great start. I would suggest weighing only once a week - pick a day and stick with it so you don't drive yourself crazy over minor weight fluctuations that happen from day to day. Congrats on the first 9 lbs.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Good lord, woman, 9lbs in a week and you think you aren't losing weight? Did you get overweight in a couple weeks? Healthy, sustainable weight loss that lasts is 1-2 lbs a week. You lose it fast at the start because you lose water weight and your body freaks out. But if you are stressing a week in because you aren't losing pounds per day, you're going to fall off the wagon in a huge way.

Set reasonable expectations, realise it isn't going to happen fast and educate yourself on safe, healthy weight loss.This forum is a great place for it. I suggest you go read the success stories thread, as that is chock full of people who went the distance and made it.
  • Armwrench
    Armwrench Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Don't just look at weight check your inches too. The exercise will help you lose inches and so most of the time your body is doing one then the other. The other thing you can do is check your carbs, fruit have a lot of carbs in them even though they are natural. Some veggies are also high in carbs, you can change the fruits to cheese and have low carb but high protein. When working out you need to make sure you get plenty of protein as that is what feeds the muscles that you have worked and will allow your body to keep muscle but lose the fat. You also have to switch things up or your body gets use to things.
  • johcarter
    johcarter Posts: 2
    Options
    if you're strength training then you may be gaining muscle mass (which is heavy) while losing weight, causing you to plateau. if you can see a change in your shape then that's another sign. keep going!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but... holy, jesus actual %&^$-$%*&, people, did any of you read her post? She's been 'dieting' for a week and has lost 9lbs. This is NOT a plateau. It's not muscle. It's not a need to change up carbs or switch things. It's a friggen WEEK with a 9 POUND loss.
  • trewyn6509
    trewyn6509 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My first few weeks I lost about 15 pounds then it reduced to 2 to 5 pounds a week. But it has been steadily that about each wweek.Time is the answer and sticking too it.
  • agrafina
    agrafina Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but... holy, jesus actual %&^$-$%*&, people, did any of you read her post? She's been 'dieting' for a week and has lost 9lbs. This is NOT a plateau. It's not muscle. It's not a need to change up carbs or switch things. It's a friggen WEEK with a 9 POUND loss.

This. 100X this.
  • redheaded_dem
    redheaded_dem Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Yep. This
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options

This. 100X this.

QFT
    you dont get fat overnight , you dont get fat in a week or a month , takes time to put on , and time to take off, give it the time , and 9lbs in a week , wowowowowowoowowowow
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Come back to us in a month. You haven't been doing this long enough to have a plateau. Anytime you start a "new plan" to lose weight and change your eating/workout habits... especially if you have a lot to lose, you will have a huge loss right off. Then, the real work begins and you might see a week without a loss... but next week you'll probably have another. Weight loss is not linear. Everyone has weeks where they don't lose anything and then bam the next week they have a good loss. Just hang in there. It's going to be a long road, and you've only just begun.
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Sound like you lost a lot of water weight when you changed up your diet those first 4 days. Then when you started exercising a couple days ago, your muscles started retaining water for repair (or something like that, I don't know how to explain it scientifically), so it looks like weight loss slowed. My suggestion would be to stop weighing yourself daily, and give it a week before you weigh again. And congrats on the 9 pounds you lost, that's awesome!
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    You need to chill out. You probably lost a lot of water weight in those first few days and that's not going to continue. Weigh only once a week as others have recommended.

It's also not unusual to see a big loss one week and then nothing the next week, so don't get discouraged. You're doing fine.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Check the calories you are eating too, not eating enough is not good...and you should be weighing all solids and measuring all liquids and keeping track in the food log on here.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Definitely this x1,000,000,000,000

You are not on a plateau, you are losing weight, please come back to reality. (Thank god for backspace)
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Definitely this x1,000,000,000,000

You are not on a plateau, you are losing weight, please come back to reality. (Thank god for backspace)

tumblr_lop7cqshbV1qzllgbo1_500.gif
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    It hasn't even been a full week - you have not plateaued. Think of weight loss as a monthly average. You didn't gain weight overnight, and it will not all disappear overnight either.