Painful callous?

Is it normal for a callous to be painful?

I have a callous right on the ball of my foot. It feels like a little knot in the skin -- in the center kinda. It's like a little stripe that runs parallel (along the length of the foot, not across it) and is about an inch long. I've always had a callous there, but it hurts more now that I am more active.

Is this normal?

I've never done anything for callouses before. Am I supposed to? I don't care about he look of them, but if they're all going to get painful then I'm willing to put some effort into my feet. My feet are insanely ticklish and so getting a full pedicure is not really an option -- the only time I attempted this, I started crying when they started touching my feet! I don't mind soaking them or rubbing them with whatever might help, though.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    callouses generally shouldnt hurt, they are just layers of dead skin. id go see a doctor, it could very well be a wart or something along those lines
  • leesehm
    leesehm Posts: 117
    Pain is always worth getting checked out.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    I had that problem... Until I realised there was blisters under them... YUP, very fun!
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    There is probably a blister deep under it. I have had callouses that are painful and there is always a blister under it.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    I would look up Morton's Neuroma and see if that is it. Does it feel more like a burning sensation? I suffer from it on and off. It isn't due to callouses.

If you are having issues with callouses and can't handle a pedicure, I would say buy a buffing paddle and do it yourself.
  • nnix64
    nnix64 Posts: 21 Member
    Or it could be a corn
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    There is probably a blister deep under it. I have had callouses that are painful and there is always a blister under it.

Yikes. What do you do if you have a blister under a callous?