Losing motivation during atkins induction

Options
Hi all,
I am a 20 year old femaie, 140 lbs and 5'7". I am by no means fat but I have been struggling with about 20 extra pounds for 4 years now. When I was 16, I was presribed some medication that made me lose my appetite and I got down from about 125 to 110 lbs in a matter of 6 weeks or so, so I don't think there is an issue like metabolic resistance at work here, since I have been able to lose a good amount of weight before. I have been doing atkins induction for about 3 weeks now with little success. I have not lost one pound and my clothes all fit the same, so I don't think it's the case of gaining muscle and losing fat but not "weight." What is more frustrating is that I am vigorously working out almost everyday- things like Insanity, P90X, running, elliptical, weights, and I usually sit in a 140 degree sauna for at least 30 mins after working out. I am also probably consuming less than 1200 calories on average per day, with most of my calories coming from protein and fat. So, even if the low-carb diet wasnt working, I would think simply buring more calories than I am consuming would help me lose a little weight. I did purchase some ketostix to test for ketosis, and it has been showing trace and small amounts for about the past week. Here is a sample of what I eat each day:
Breakfast: one whole egg + egg white only omelette with reduced fat sargento cheese, Dunkin Donuts iced coffee with half & half and sweet n low
Snack: 1 serving almonds (about 24 nuts), 1 piece of sargento cheese
Lunch: quest bar
Snack: Atkins shake
Dinner: 93% lean hamburger with sargento cheese, mushrooms and peppers, green beans
Snack: atkins chocolate candies (only 110 cals)
I also am one of those girls who is addicted to diet coke, so I have been drinking quite a few of those each day dring all of this. My only thoughts are that the aspartame in the diet coke and atkins "candy" are stalling me, but I dont see how such small parts of my diet could cause me to completely fail at losing one single pound! Or maybe I am eating too much cheese? Any help at all would be appreciated, this is very frustrating and I am beginning to think it is an issue like a thyroid or something genetic.

Replies

• joplindesignz
    Options
    I don't think your eating enough or drinking enough water; considering all the cardio you are doing...also, induction doesn't allow for nuts during induction...I would remove the nuts, diet coke and the Atkins candies, drink about a gallon of ice water a day, and add more veggies and only allow 2 oz of cheese/dairy a day. You can do this! It's obvious you're a motivated person to be doing your level of activity on such a small amount of food a day....just add veggies, water and get rid of the faux sugars ;) you've got this! Trust me...you really don't need to count calories on Atkins =) also....you need fat to get rid of fat...so, 93% lean meat is not necessary.....have you by chance read the Atkins book?
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    It's the fake sugar, at least, that's what it was for me when I did Atkins 10 years ago. :flowerforyou:
  • arlo1028
    arlo1028 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I just started the induction yesterday, and have read the whole atkins to do it the right way. It does mention to have 15 net carbs come from veggies and the rest from maybe the atkins products or whatever low carb product you're consuming (like the quest bars).
    I've been stuck in the 160's for a LONG while, so I'm hoping cutting carbs will help me get out of this pleteau I'm currently in. I have about 20 more lbs that I would like to lose. Ideally, it would be 30 lbs, but I can handle 20 for now :laugh:

Hope you see results soon! Keep me updated if you don't mind :happy:

Good Luck!
  • ljedison23
    ljedison23 Posts: 1
    Options
    Try to avoid the Atkins products at all. The New Atkins is different (pushing more of the products) than the one from 2002 - which IMO is the one that works.

No nuts during Induction
    Watch the amount of cheese you eat.
    Make sure you get your veggie carbs and fats (i.e. ranch dressing, butter, etc - don't skimp)
    Watch the artificial sweeteners (even Splenda)
    AND water, water, water.
  • MsAnnThropy
    MsAnnThropy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comments about coke and the Atkins bars. The atkins bars seem to sham the numbers too as they subtract the sugars from glycol alcohols from the totals. I found that every time I ate one, I was hungry soon afterwards. Aspartame is also reported to make your body "think" it has gotten sugar, then later on, when it goes to process that sugar, finds it lacking and you get cravings. Avoiding both is hard, I know. I started on Atkins 4 weeks ago myself and am having great difficulty with exhaustion despite eating a lot of salt and drinking a lot of water (I had low blood pressure to begin with. 60/86, which is very low).
    I was wondering if anyone here would be interested in setting up an Atkins induction phase support and motivation group? Anyone know how to use the site well enough to do it?