Carb blockers, do they work? How?

Options
2»

Replies

• dagreer
    dagreer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My daughter has polycistic ovaries syndrome (PCOS). One of the issues she faces is higher than normal androgen hormone. This can lead to insulin resistance. Insulin is what allow cells to absorb sugar (glucose) - which is what carbohydrates are turned into when the body digests them. Insulin is supposed to control your blood sugar level, as blood sugar levels rise the pancreas releases more insulin so the sugar can be absorbed by the cells.
    PCOS causes the cells to be resistant to the normal effect of insulin, the body releases the "normal" amount of insulin but the cells do not recognize it therefore they do not absorb the sugar in the blood. The body releases more insulin to try and compensate. When your blood is full of insulin your body cannot use stored energy - in other words as long as you have high insulin levels you cannot burn fat. There are numerous serious health issues relate to insulin resistance. In this instance she is already on a severely restricted carbohydrate intake. She only takes in "good" carbs but even a minimal amount can spike her blood sugar levels. Rather than taking medication we support her with naturopathic supplements that support her liver and blood sugar. A good quality carb block supports her with vitamin D B12 Zinc Chromium Inulin and other ingredients that she needs additional supplementation in. This is a chronic condition that has serious lifelong implications for her health carb block is one of many supports that help us regulate her health.
    There is no magic pill but you shouldn't denigrate something until you have really done the research. Different things work for different people. I hope you all find your way, life is a journey and we all want to make it without being judged.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Carb blockers? That's a real thing? :noway:
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I really can't say this enough. You KNOW anything purporting to be a miracle diet cure doesn't work. You KNOW this.

MjAxMi02Mzg1NjM2ODQwMWU3ZTY3_zps2e1f202c.png
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    If there was a proven carb blocker, it would be medically approved and by prescription for type 2 diabetics. It would be a gold mine so pretty sure the answer to your question is NO it does not work, but along with diet and exercise it just might!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Every single reply has avoided answering your question. I have some info. I have used carb blockers for years. I buy the ones that only contain phaseoleum vulgaris on the internet. Walmart sells some with chromium but chromium makes me sick. I know they work because I get hungry fairly quickly after I use them. To me, that means my food isn't being digested. Also, I am a diabetic. My A1C tests have become so normal since taking them that my doctor decreased my diabetic medication. Again that means to me that the carb blockers are not allowing the carbs to be digested and thereby raising my blood sugar. Best of all, I stopped gaining weight, although I haven't lost any, but am not trying. My question and what led me to this site is how do they work. As I understand it, they prevent the enzyme that digests carbs from forming, but I don't know if that happens in the mouth, in the stomach or where ever along the digestive tract. Therefore, do you have to take them before you eat to be effective or can you take them in the middle or at the end of a meal and still have them work. If they work on the enzymes in the mouth, obviously they need to be taken before you eat. If they work somewhere else in the digestive system, taking them while or after eating should work too. Can't find the answer to my questions either. Just my experiences.... Good luck. They work for me.
    Coming from the person who's username is 30daysupply. That's not fishy at all...
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I did use fat blockers for quite awhile when xenical came out. I found that they really helped me to lose weight basically because I was forced to modify my diet. Combined it with low carb but plenty of non-starchy veggies. I lost about 20 pounds doing this.
    Carb blockers would be similar because you can get gassy and bloated if you don't digest your carbs so a negative reinforcement for going over your carb limits. Just be sure that you don't overheat on protein and fat.
    There are some diabetes medicines that work as carb blockers, but I'm not that familiar with them since they're a 3rd to 4th choice. If somebody needs 4 drugs to control their diabetes, I will either start them on insulin or get an endocrinology consult.
    All of my patients go to Diabetes Education, which is very helpful.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    If they really did do what they advertise (which is unregulated so you know how that goes) would you really want to do it? If something is sitting undigested in your stomach then it's going to ferment there and you are going to end up a bloated, gassy, probably about to poop yourself mess whenever you eat your favorite foods. That doesn't sound enjoyable at all....unless you are into that sorta thing.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    kikityme wrote: »
    I really can't say this enough. You KNOW anything purporting to be a miracle diet cure doesn't work. You KNOW this.

MjAxMi02Mzg1NjM2ODQwMWU3ZTY3_zps2e1f202c.png

Well there is ONE benefit to raspberry ketones. You will be burping up raspberry flavor for the next several hours. A coue days of that will ruin your appetite for anything sweet or fruity flavored!