Lol. I love Atkins, but I clearly have to count calories...

Options
I remember the first time I went on the Atkins diet I was 225 pounds straight out of college (I am 6'0) and I felt like I was always going to hover around this weight because I just love food. I love to watch the Food Network, I always regret not being a chef, dream about food etc... As a result it is very easy for me to gorge on anything and everything so I felt like there was never going to be anything out there to help me lose weight.

Well long story short in just under a year I managed to go from 225 pounds to 150 (don't really work out). Then I ballooned back up to 180 which is where I am sitting currently as I type this. The main factor that contributed to this was the fact that I took a stressful retail job and my go to thing was eating to relieve the stress. I have never done drugs or drank in my life so I guess this is my vice.

But what I realized through all of this is the first time on Atkins I didn't need to count calories cuz I guess it was a new thing with me and it IS true that it suppresses your appetite over time. But getting back on the wagon again I really do need to count calories even with low carbing it because it is amazing how much chicken salad or any kind of protein I can wolf down.

I am always amazed at folks who just calorie count but eat WHATEVER they want. If I was under my calorie total each day but I was eating nothing but donuts for example I would just be starving all the time.

I guess it is true that we aren't all built the same lol.

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    You should try calorie counting as a way to manage your eating. It is the best thing I've ever done in the 25 years of searching for answers. It's tricky at first then you just get quicker and quicker. I now spend about 3 minutes a day doing it. I also am so used to using my digital scale in the kitchen it's become automatic. We use them for recipes why not for every day food?

I also comfort ate (notice past tense). I just don't do it any more, I've found tricks, now that the mystery of how much food I need to thrive is solved.

Did Atkins, boy I was bingey after that!

Ps lot of us here build our diets from the protein amount first, then fats, then carbs, and some treats. I always eat my favourite foods, I just get the proportions right.
  • Xenoblader
    Xenoblader Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That is some great advice Springfield. And yeah once I get into a groove it isn't really a problem but boy you really can fall down HARD. I also too have a digital scale, it is such a great tool.
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting to me personally helps build moderation and when you are successful over a long period of time, it becomes an effortless habit (where I'm trying to go back to now). I hate the word diet itself. It will get easier over time but requires dedication and a lot of patience even when you don't see changes, but once you see a difference - it's very rewarding!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    After you lose this weight are you going to stop atkins? stop calorie counting? if so you can probably say hello to the weight again eventually.

Counting calories and eating whatever I want has taught me moderation....I don't just eat treats I follow the 80/20 rule...meaning 80% of my calories come from "healthy" choices such as veggies, lean meats and whole grains...

The other 20% is my chocolate or some other treat.

I even eat fast food sometimes or go to nice resturants and eat sinful pasta dishes with white sauce...I even still bake and eat what I make...

I lost the weight and will keep it off because I didn't go on a "special diet" to lose the weight...I have logged everything for 15months and wont stop now that I am in maitenance...

It's all about making a choice that fits in your life...forever...not a short term fix.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    You can most definitely gain weight in ketosis. When I first started eating this way, I really didn't have to watch my calories, but I had been doing Weight Watchers for about 4 years at that point, so I was primed for low calorie food only. I discovered bacon and cheese and eggs fried in bacon grease and pork loin and well . . .yeah, you get the picture. I packed the pounds back on.

So these days I combine eating extremely low carb with counting calories. It works for me.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    No matter how you do it it comes down to eating less than you burn. I do a lower carb type of eating plan and still count calories. I can't see how anyone could lose weight eating over their maintenance calorie number.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I am always amazed at folks who just calorie count but eat WHATEVER they want. If I was under my calorie total each day but I was eating nothing but donuts for example I would just be starving all the time.

We aren't all built the same but the same facts of sciene still apply. Eat less than you burn and the fat pounds will drop. It takes trial and error to get it right. If your current plan isn't working then find another one. It would be worth your time to read this link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I remember the first time I went on the Atkins diet I was 225 pounds straight out of college (I am 6'0) and I felt like I was always going to hover around this weight because I just love food. I love to watch the Food Network, I always regret not being a chef, dream about food etc... As a result it is very easy for me to gorge on anything and everything so I felt like there was never going to be anything out there to help me lose weight.

Well long story short in just under a year I managed to go from 225 pounds to 150 (don't really work out). Then I ballooned back up to 180 which is where I am sitting currently as I type this. The main factor that contributed to this was the fact that I took a stressful retail job and my go to thing was eating to relieve the stress. I have never done drugs or drank in my life so I guess this is my vice.

But what I realized through all of this is the first time on Atkins I didn't need to count calories cuz I guess it was a new thing with me and it IS true that it suppresses your appetite over time. But getting back on the wagon again I really do need to count calories even with low carbing it because it is amazing how much chicken salad or any kind of protein I can wolf down.

I eat everything I love that is without soy and lactose (intolerance to both), but I have to watch on on the caffeine and sugar consumption (sensitive to too much of both). I cannot imagine my dietary plan being sustainable if I didn't just eat what I like. Yes, I have to moderate and count those calories, but the plus is having either my lactose fee ice cream or coconut milk ice cream for desert each night.

As for eating donuts all day- yeah, that'd be way too much for me and have me laying across the bed in a near coma, after I got the rapid heart beat and other symptoms I don't care to mention. I'm glad I don't like donuts, but if I did I'd find a way to work them in.

Glad you've found a dietary plan that works for you. Keep up the good work!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    A diet rich in protein will help keep you full for sure. Fiber works as well. Both? Even better!

There are so many carbohydrates out there that aren't white bread and white pastas etc. which are just fine.

What matters is finding a system that helps you achieve and maintain your goals. While I roll my eyes at "diets", Atkins included, I still support their usage for people that really work well with a system and setup like this. So long as they remain healthy and get plenty of nutrition.

Find what works best for you, and stick to it.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

You'd be starving all the time because your diet lacked protein and fiber so you'd be running on sugar and fat and never feel full. But if you ate a balanced diet with carbohydrates, protein, fat and fiber, as long as you ate at a deficit you would lose weight. No, we aren't all built exactly the same, but weight loss is pretty simple and we're all very similar.

Edit: Typo