Gaining

Options
I started stronglifts 5x5 almost 3 weeks ago and I am gaining weight like crazy. I know that you can expect to gain at first but I have a lot of fat to lose. I was just wondering when you started to lose weight from heavy lifting.

Replies

• gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I started stronglifts 5x5 almost 3 weeks ago and I am gaining weight like crazy. I know that you can expect to gain at first but I have a lot of fat to lose. I was just wondering when you started to lose weight from heavy lifting.

When you start eating at a calorie deficit. Weight lifting =/= weight loss.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    You're still eating at a deficit right?

That being said, weight lifting is about creating muscle, which is far more dense than fat. So even with more weight, you will look thinner. So do you want to lose weight or do you want to look and be fit?

Check out this page. Notice she weighs 10 pounds more now.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1222939-look-what-3-years-of-lifting-can-do
  • bmannen1
    bmannen1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    When you say gaining weight like crazy, how much are we talking about?

around 5 in 2 weeks
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    When you say gaining weight like crazy, how much are we talking about?

around 5 in 2 weeks

If you just started lifting a few weeks ago, you're muscles are likely retaining water for repair. I gained when I started strong lifts as well. Keep with eating at a deficit and you should start to see a loss in a few weeks. Took me about 4 weeks, but then it was consistent.