weird question- splitting your breakfast?

Options
Anyone else do this? I feel like I'm tricking myself into thinking I'm eating a mid morning snack. I eat breakfast at 6am, before my workout, and save a 1/4 of it to eat at 9am as a small snack. It's oatmeal and vanilla muscle milk poured over it, BTW

Replies

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I do this almost every day, since I wake relatively early compared to the rest of my household (6am). Coffee and oatmeal before anyone is allowed to talk to me :grumble: :laugh: . Then I workout, shower, then eat my eggs, have more coffee, or whatever around 8 or so with the rest of the family. Works well for me, and it's not much different than my pre-healthy habits (quick bite, off to school, eat another breakfast upon arrival), so it's familiar.

ETA: Oh, and I do this with lunch, too. Eat half at 10 or 11, other half around 1 or 2pm. For me, I find eating more frequently helps me stay compliant with my calorie deficit. Although dinner is my all out "feast."
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Anyone else do this? I feel like I'm tricking myself into thinking I'm eating a mid morning snack. I eat breakfast at 6am, before my workout, and save a 1/4 of it to eat at 9am as a small snack. It's oatmeal and vanilla muscle milk poured over it, BTW

Yeah, why not? I did that once with a big bowl of oatmeal and fruit.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Yes. I eat egg whites and cooked spinach around 7 am and greek yogurt at 9ish. Makes me feel like I am having a snack too and really holds me until lunch! :)
  • winonavampire
    winonavampire Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Essentially, you are following the many small meals plan. You are splitting a "600" calorie breakfast into two small meals with a few hours in between. I think that is the best way to do it. You should eat after your workout any way.

I don't really know the science behind it, but you are keeping your body nourished more continuously. Also, if you are like me and just like to eat, you are able to eat more often.

Plus, if you eat breakfast at 6a and don't eat lunch until 11-12, that is a long time to not eat.

I say keep it up. As long as you maintain the calorie limit you set, eat as often as you like!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I don't do that...but I see absolutely no prob with it.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I do this too! I love to eat constantly, not an easy habit to break but if I plan ahead and have 4 meals plus 2-3 snacks a day then I'm more satisfied and less prone to saying eff-it at 9pm and eating an extra 400 calories that I can't afford. :drinker:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I do, will have to stop though, braces are going to make snacking a pain!
  • mlanders22
    mlanders22 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I always eat first breakfast around 6:30 or 7 and second breakfast around 9:30 or 10. I'm kind of like a hobbit.
  • andrea394
    andrea394 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I find that at work I will bring breakfast with me, and then "graze" on it over a few hours. Something about eating little bits over a period of time keeps me fuller.
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options

I eat 6 meals per day but log my mini-meals as snacks. I actually think it is best to do it this way, not just to trick our body but for continuous metabolic function...NOTE: I'm not a doctor, it has just worked best for me than three square meals/day.

Also, as the mother of 2 children, most of my meals are split between eating half hot and the other half an hour later cold. But that's another thread for another forum. HA! :laugh:
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    i do this every day , i drink my coffee with milk , and about 1-3 hours later i eat something mid morning.

it works for me so far.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll do this. Though when I do, it's less about tricking myself into thinking I'm snacking and more about just eating when I'm hungry.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I do it often, I will eat my protein bar or egg before I leave or on the way to work, then maybe an hour after I get to work I eat my yogurt with berries...works for me. I also do it with lunch, eat the meal and then 1 or 2 hours later eat the apple I bought to have with it.
  • Mbierschbach
    Mbierschbach Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I do this as well. It's affectionately referred to as Breakfast 2.0
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I do this with my lunch - 200-250 calories at noon and 200-250 calories at 3. I love snacking, so it works out great. I don't usually get too hungry between breakfast and lunch, especially on lifting days because I have a Quest bar, protein shake, and oatmeal all before 9AM. I'm set until 12.
  • Angela26point2finisher
    Angela26point2finisher Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I always eat first breakfast around 6:30 or 7 and second breakfast around 9:30 or 10. I'm kind of like a hobbit.

Love this.. I also enjoy 2nd breakfast.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I do. I'll have cereal and milk, then a veggie omelet with some fruit. :)
  • hopper602
    hopper602 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    On days I work from home I get up early 530am and start working. I make a breakfast protein shake and have some coffee. Around comes 9-10 oclock and i make 2 eggs with ham or another protein (depending on leftovers from the night before). I would prefer two balanced breakfast meals over snacks in between an early breakfast and lunch.

As long as im at a caloric deficit when I hit the sack!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I eat about ten times a day, and most people think I'm naturally thin because they see me eating all the time. Eat as often as you want, and split meals into small snacks if it helps you. It does for me.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    On days I work from home I get up early 530am and start working. I make a breakfast protein shake and have some coffee. Around comes 9-10 oclock and i make 2 eggs with ham or another protein (depending on leftovers from the night before). I would prefer two balanced breakfast meals over snacks in between an early breakfast and lunch.

As long as im at a caloric deficit when I hit the sack!
    that is exactly why i started to do it too, when my workday starts before 6 am , that means if i eat right then it would be 6 hours till lunch