Strength building/fat losing help

Options
I've heard it a million times, "cut calories and lose fat". Please don't tell me again! Something is wrong here. I work out more than I have ever and am logging ALL my food. Granted, I'm not 100% on top of every day (although most my days look pretty similar so chances are, if there is a day not logged, it looks just like the ones around it). I don't log in my strength training but I'm definitely doing them 3+/week, cardio is 3-5/week and yoga is 2/week. I notice more muscle (yay!) but the fat has gone no where. I really don't understand it. I used to have a problem with eating 1200 calories a day but since logging my food, I've exceeded that although most days I don't meet the "required" caloric intake. Is this truly setting me back? I honestly can't figure out what else to cut out of my diet!! I'm not into fad diets so please don't suggest that. I love eating all-natural, wholesome foods but I do like chocolate treats every now and again. Although, I really don't see those treats as detrimental to my fat loss. Are they and I'm just blind sided?

I'm not looking to see fast results as I want REAL results. I want healthy results and though I'm not overweight, all this extra fat hanging around needs to get out of town! Any suggestions? I'm 5'8" and about 160 lbs. the scale has not moved a bit since before my working out like crazy (going on 4 months now). I'm not too concerned with the number. I'm more concerned about getting rid of this fat! Any suggestions are appreciated! Take a look at my log, ask me Q's - Whatever needs to happen to get input from others will be appreciated! Thanks

Replies

• natstar26
    natstar26 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Would be easy to see how to help but your diary is closed. Without looking what I can say is its very important to eat what you burnt, I know mfp can be a bit off with calories burnt on exercises. Also eating enough protein is vital but im sure you know that already. You can lose weight without eating it but over time you will lose muscle and fat if you protein consumption is low or none. Your exercise seems awesome though:)
  • misshoney718
    Options
    I've unlocked my diary.

I'm ALWAYS under my protein requirement some days it's only a few grams while others I don't even come close. Any suggestions on how to include more protein? I eat meat (probably not enough as it's generally not the center of my meals), I'm beginning to include more Greek yogurt in my day to day eating. Just an FYI I'm anemic but from what I know about anemia, it shouldn't affect weight loss.

I really want to stay away from supplements/protein shakes but if it is the only way to get my protein in, it may just have to happen :-(
  • misshoney718
    Options
    I've unlocked my diary.

I'm ALWAYS under my protein requirement some days it's only a few grams while others I don't even come close. Any suggestions on how to include more protein? I eat meat (probably not enough as it's generally not the center of my meals), I'm beginning to include more Greek yogurt in my day to day eating. Just an FYI I'm anemic but from what I know about anemia, it shouldn't affect weight loss.

I really want to stay away from supplements/protein shakes but if it is the only way to get my protein in, it may just have to happen :-(
  • misshoney718
    Options
    I know you don't want to hear it but you need to make sure you logging g is accurate and you're in a deficit.

If you insist that proper logging is not the problem then go get checked by a doctor.

There is no way I'm not in a deficit. I generally over estimate things and measure my servings when I can (80% of the time). I also don't log in all my exercise as sometimes the exercise is just outside playing sports or playing with kids or I just didn't log it for the day.

I'm worried that because I'm not meeting my "recommended" goals, I'm hindering weight loss. My food log is open- feel free to check it out.

Thanks for your suggestion! I hope to get more advice and make some changes then if I'm still not seeing anything, I will be visiting the doctor soon.
  • Captain_Wobbles
    Captain_Wobbles Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Easy protein, 8 ounces of chicken breast. *make sure you check them labels some are loaded with sodium to plump them up and extend shelf life." 280 calories 50 grams protien 80 mg sodium in my case and 8 grams of fat do what you wish with it
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I know you don't want to hear it but you need to make sure you logging g is accurate and you're in a deficit.

If you insist that proper logging is not the problem then go get checked by a doctor.

There is no way I'm not in a deficit. I generally over estimate things and measure my servings when I can (80% of the time). I also don't log in all my exercise as sometimes the exercise is just outside playing sports or playing with kids or I just didn't log it for the day.

I'm worried that because I'm not meeting my "recommended" goals, I'm hindering weight loss. My food log is open- feel free to check it out.

Thanks for your suggestion! I hope to get more advice and make some changes then if I'm still not seeing anything, I will be visiting the doctor soon.

It looks like you are measuring your solids, not weighing them...this makes a huge difference. You exercise burn seems a little high too, almost 300 for 25 minutes of jogging at 5 mph. MFP way over estimates and so do the gym machines. Your weight isn't very high for your height and you don't have much to lose. Losing at 1/2 lb a week is where you should be, it does seem that is where your calories are set about. The issue happens though with only running about a 250 calorie a day deficient any miscalculation can wipe it out.

Even a slice of bread was completely wrong when weighed in grams, when you weigh your foods sometimes you get more but many times you get less. Also at the final stretchlike you are, ccondiments, cooking oils all matter. Forgot to look in your diary for them :ohwell:

Many have to adjust and tweak things in the end, because the number we work with are just estimates. If you do change your numbers, it will take 4 weeks to know for sure what works and what doesn't.

You may want to look into body recomp too at this point, might give you more of what your looking for.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    By what measure have you determined you have gained muscle and not lost fat? Your scale cannot tell you that so are you taking other measurements?
  • felonebeats
    felonebeats Posts: 433
    Options
    Get some digital scales and weigh/log your food accurately
  • natstar26
    natstar26 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    As others as stated weigh your food, and add everything you had even little teaspoon of oil... ect There are plenty of food high in protein such as" 1 egg has 6g, chicken breast 17g, tuna salmon or halibut 22g, 1oz slice cheese 9g (not mozzarella) 3oz pork chop 23g, 3oz steak 19g, 3oz tofu 6g, 1cup soy/skim milk 8g, 1oz of nuts or seeds averages out to 9g, 1/2 cup cottage cheese 13g, 1cup cooked quinoa 8g, 2tbsp peanut butter 8g. I mean the list can go on and on lol lots of choices even if you aren't a big meat eater! What does you strength training regime look like?
  • healthdiscoveryjournal
    Options
    "Healthier African Mango" is a exotic fruits which helps for strength building and fat losing.This helper is called Irvingia Gabonensis, more commonly known as the African Mango.This delicious variety of mango is native to West Africa, and it has been popular for centuries as a food staple.
  • melnorwich
    melnorwich Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    I'd suggest the following
    - as others have said, log every day accurately
    - ensure that you eat 3 healthy balanced meals each day with protein in each meal (I keep a stash of hard boiled eggs in my fridge as they can easily be added to the side of anything else)
    - try to cut your sugar intake so it is well below the target each day. You seem to regulalry eat well over. Rather than eating a whole mango try something less sweet (e.g. chopped up cucumber and celery). Sugar will obviously affect your metabolism and can trigger your body to add fat, so it oculd be that you're working off fat whilst encouraging your body to store it as a response to all the sweet stuff.
    - sort that anaemia (try adding spinach to a smoothie - you cant taste it honestly) or take iron tablets, but you'll struggle to loose weight if you are not getting good nutrition

Mel
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I've heard it a million times, "cut calories and lose fat". Please don't tell me again! Something is wrong here. I work out more than I have ever and am logging ALL my food. Granted, I'm not 100% on top of every day (although most my days look pretty similar so chances are, if there is a day not logged, it looks just like the ones around it). I don't log in my strength training but I'm definitely doing them 3+/week, cardio is 3-5/week and yoga is 2/week. I notice more muscle (yay!) but the fat has gone no where. I really don't understand it. I used to have a problem with eating 1200 calories a day but since logging my food, I've exceeded that although most days I don't meet the "required" caloric intake. Is this truly setting me back? I honestly can't figure out what else to cut out of my diet!! I'm not into fad diets so please don't suggest that. I love eating all-natural, wholesome foods but I do like chocolate treats every now and again. Although, I really don't see those treats as detrimental to my fat loss. Are they and I'm just blind sided?

I'm not looking to see fast results as I want REAL results. I want healthy results and though I'm not overweight, all this extra fat hanging around needs to get out of town! Any suggestions? I'm 5'8" and about 160 lbs. the scale has not moved a bit since before my working out like crazy (going on 4 months now). I'm not too concerned with the number. I'm more concerned about getting rid of this fat! Any suggestions are appreciated! Take a look at my log, ask me Q's - Whatever needs to happen to get input from others will be appreciated! Thanks

You answered your own question..albeit a bit oddly...

You are not logging all your food...I am in your diary atm...

May 16 not logged, may 17th 1 item logged...not weighed, may 18th not logged, May 19th, 20th not logged...

May 21st..either partially logged or too low...items not weighed...inaccurate entries used.

May 22nd..either partially logged or below 1k...items not weighed

May 23rd not logged
    May 24th partially logged nothing weighed
    May 25th not logged
    May 26th not logged
    May 27th...logged but nothing weighed
    May 28th nothing weighed, entries starting with generic are suspect
    May 29th nothing weighed
    May 30th nothing logged

Define strength training?

You cannot lose fat if you are not in a deficit and you can't say you are in a deficit if you don't log everything accurately which means...

Weighing all solids
    measuring liquids
    using correct entries

You go days without logging...you log partially...you don't weigh your food...you choose entries that probably incorrect as they are user entered...

If you want real results get real...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    - ensure that you eat 3 healthy balanced meals each day with protein in each meal (I keep a stash of hard boiled eggs in my fridge as they can easily be added to the side of anything else)
    - try to cut your sugar intake so it is well below the target each day. You seem to regulalry eat well over. Rather than eating a whole mango try something less sweet (e.g. chopped up cucumber and celery). Sugar will obviously affect your metabolism and can trigger your body to add fat, so it oculd be that you're working off fat whilst encouraging your body to store it as a response to all the sweet stuff.
    - sort that anaemia (try adding spinach to a smoothie - you cant taste it honestly) or take iron tablets, but you'll struggle to loose weight if you are not getting good nutrition

Mel

anything bolded is not needed to lose weight...
  • misshoney718
    Options
    Hi there

Mel
    You are suggesting she replace a Mango with cucumber and celery? Really? You've obviously never had a real Mango if you think celery and cucumber can be a substitute.

How exactly does sugar affect your metabolism?
    As far as sugar causing the body to store fat. You are taking the process and over simplifying it in order to try a prove a point.
    Read:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/insulin-levels-and-fat-loss-qa.html

Thanks for that website! I don't really understand "body composition" and needed someway to understand what was being mentioned here. THANKS!!
  • misshoney718
    Options
    Get some digital scales and weigh/log your food accurately

I also didn't want to hear that I need to get a digital scale but it looks like everyone is right :-( I am looking into them this weekend. Is it still beneficial to log if i'm not 100% accurate? I may not get the scales until Sunday or Monday and if I order them online, it will be longer than that.
  • misshoney718
    Options

You answered your own question..albeit a bit oddly...

You are not logging all your food...I am in your diary atm...

May 16 not logged, may 17th 1 item logged...not weighed, may 18th not logged, May 19th, 20th not logged...

May 21st..either partially logged or too low...items not weighed...inaccurate entries used.

May 22nd..either partially logged or below 1k...items not weighed

May 23rd not logged
    May 24th partially logged nothing weighed
    May 25th not logged
    May 26th not logged
    May 27th...logged but nothing weighed
    May 28th nothing weighed, entries starting with generic are suspect
    May 29th nothing weighed
    May 30th nothing logged

Define strength training?

You cannot lose fat if you are not in a deficit and you can't say you are in a deficit if you don't log everything accurately which means...

Weighing all solids
    measuring liquids
    using correct entries

You go days without logging...you log partially...you don't weigh your food...you choose entries that probably incorrect as they are user entered...

If you want real results get real...

So my strength training is a mix of circuit training and more isolated muscle groups using dumbells, body weight and kettle bells depending on the day and week. I generally allow less than 20 seconds between sets and go for at least 60 mins with 3-4 spurts of 15-20 second sprints in between my sets.

Anything labeled generic should not be used when recording foods? I am looking into getting a scale at the moment as I have come to the realization that it is much needed to be as accurate as possible. Thanks for your input.
  • misshoney718
    Options
    By what measure have you determined you have gained muscle and not lost fat? Your scale cannot tell you that so are you taking other measurements?

I am record my measurements once a month using a tape measure but one used for cloth not the construction tape measurement, not sure what to call those. I can also tell I've added muscle by just the feeling and seeing my before/after pictures you see it a lot more. So maybe I am losing fat and just can't exactly tell? Any suggestions to judge it more accurately? I don't really have access to receive accurate BMI measurements at the moment.