Horrible calf cramps and foot pain ALL THE TIME

Options
Every single time I work out, which is usually about 30-45 minutes on the treadmill followed by strength training, I get terrible calf cramps.

While I am running I frequently have to stop and stretch out my calves because they are just BURNING and/or my feet. I always just push through the pain because I know I have to get my workout in!

I have switched shoes three times! Some are better than others, but the pain levels and amount of cramping is the same.

Has anyone else experienced this?!? Anyway to prevent it? Am I running the wrong way?

Hoping someone can help LOL!

PS - I am not a "new" runner, but I have been on about a 4 month break from any sort of physical activity so that might help explain!

Replies

• sarah4409
    sarah4409 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm having a lot of foot cramping too. It's lessened now that I have been working out more though. Also, I've been stretching A LOT and that's helped too.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    My first reaction to this is if it's for a long time please show it to your doctor.

If this is a very recent one since like last week can you foam roll. Look it up on runnersworld.com or a nicely done youtube video of physical therapist.

You haven't specified if they are running shoes. I'm assuming they are fitted by a running store.

Good Luck and I hope you feel better.
  • mjbailey822
    mjbailey822 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have 3 different shoes I workout and do cardio in as well and they all used to make my shins and feet cramp so badly, but I've noticed a big difference since I've been walking/running more and more each day. I don't know how long you have been hitting the treadmill, but if you are new to it than just know that it is perfectly normal. You have to fight through the first week or so of pain, but it does get better. You are still going to cramp up in your feet and legs after the first couple of weeks, but it is much more bearable and then finally you won't be hurting at all. Just make sure you continue to stretch and do a warm up before diving into your workouts and you'll be fine.

P.S. If you've had this problem your whole life and run on the treadmill every day and continue to have problems, I'm sorry for wasting your time, but I do not know how to fix that. =/
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Try to make sure you stay hydrated. A lot of times cramping during exercise results from the muscles not getting enough water.
  • seismicmuffin
    seismicmuffin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I looked up a few videos on youtube. I found a guy who recommends "warming up" your leg muscles with a rolling pin before you run. Can't remember his name but the video wasn't hard to find. There's also a few physical therapists on there that show some good calf stretches for after your workout. I am trying them out later today. Will let you know how it goes :)
  • cyoka13
    cyoka13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Do you wear high heels either the day of or the day before your workout? I do not get cramps in my calves; however, I will them in my feet if I am wearing heels that day. One workout/judo days, I try to make sure I wear flats to work and that seems to help.
  • CCSavage88
    CCSavage88 Posts: 191
    Options
    Every single time I work out, which is usually about 30-45 minutes on the treadmill followed by strength training, I get terrible calf cramps.

While I am running I frequently have to stop and stretch out my calves because they are just BURNING and/or my feet. I always just push through the pain because I know I have to get my workout in!

I have switched shoes three times! Some are better than others, but the pain levels and amount of cramping is the same.

Has anyone else experienced this?!? Anyway to prevent it? Am I running the wrong way?

Hoping someone can help LOL!

PS - I am not a "new" runner, but I have been on about a 4 month break from any sort of physical activity so that might help explain!

Try a banana(Bananas contain potassium, which can help alleviate leg cramps) Eat one about 30min before exercising, a good amount of water BEFORE & during =) That helped me SO MUCH!, & like others have said make sure you have a GOOD pair of shoes for running and switch them up every once in a while
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    How long have your feet been bothering you? If it's not something you've always dealt with, I'm afraid you might be making it worse by not getting a diagnosis and treating it properly. I began a vigorous walking routine and after a couple of months, my feet were hurting me so bad... It was plantar faciitis which is NO FUN! But since I found out what it was, I've been treating it with proper exercises and had to get some inserts for my shoes. It's been a couple months but the doc said it could take 4 - 6 months to completely treat it. Everyday it is a bit better. I walk but only for short periods of time. I suggest you get informed by a professional.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    things that come to mind are hydration, magnesium, potassium and proper (slow) warmup. the poster mentioning the issue with wearing heels has a good point too.
    when i got back into (minimalist) running after a few months break, i had a lot of soreness in my calves, but no cramping.
    maybe doing less running and a bit of cycling instead might help you warm up better until you adjust back to your original running form...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    It's probably one or both of these:

Electrolyte imbalance
    Lack of muscle condition in lower legs

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Potassium and magnesium supplements.
  • talentedmom56
    talentedmom56 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You're not getting enough calcium. Drink more milk and eat more cheese.