Better to eat clean or eat less calories?

Options
Obviously you need to be in a deficit to lose weight, but if faced with the option of a 120 cal processed item, like a protein bar or something or a 200+ calorie avocado, which is the better choice if you're trying to lose weight?

Replies

• Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    As long as you're in a calorie deficit, you could lose weight on a diet of Ho Hos. It's been proven. Although I wouldn't recommend it. :sick:

I'd stick with the deficit. For weight loss, that is the one essential key to success.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are, what your macros look like for the day, whether or not you've gotten enough veggies and micros, etc. You cannot just hold up two foods and ask which is healthier without considering the rest of the diet.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    for weight loss it doesn't matter...nutritionally speaking I'd probably go with the avocado due to I'm usually fine on my protein and carb intake but sometimes struggle to get my requisite fats...plus the avocado is packed with all kinds of awesome micro-nutrients and minerals as well.

I personally put a premium on nutrition, but when it comes to weight loss it really is just a numbers game...calories in/out being the most important component there. Nutrition is secondary and plays a substantial role in hormone regulation and nutrient absorption which can have an impact on your metabolic rate....but at the end of the day, it's still calories in/out.

ETA: from a nutritional standpoint, you also have to look at your overall diet, not just singular food items. what does the rest of the day look like?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are, what your macros look like for the day, whether or not you've gotten enough veggies and micros, etc. You cannot just hold up two foods and ask which is healthier without considering the rest of the diet.

Yup. Do you need more fat today? Avocado. Do you need more protein and just don't have time to cook and eat a steak? Protein bar.

And yes, obviously "whole" foods generally have more nutrients for the calories. But as long as you are getting the required micro and macro nutrients there's nothing wrong with including processed food.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Obviously you need to be in a deficit to lose weight, but if faced with the option of a 120 cal processed item, like a protein bar or something or a 200+ calorie avocado, which is the better choice if you're trying to lose weight?

Half the avocado?

More seriously, since I've been known to eat whole avocados and also 120 calorie protein shakes, it depends what you are after and what else you are eating.

But you are going to lose weight if you eat below maintenance even if you include lots of highly-processed stuff, and you will not if you eat at maintenance or above, even if entirely from whole foods.
  • mlk0812
    mlk0812 Posts: 19
    Options
    I would opt for the avocado because it's tasty and more satiating then the protein bar.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit to lose weight.

As far as what you eat, that is personal preference. I try and eat as "clean" as I can only because eating "dirty" was what got me to 375 pounds.. well that and eating waaaaay to much.

There really is no right or wrong way to do it, as long as you move more and eat less.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I'd go for the avocado unless I was in a huge hurry. Why? Simply put, avocados taste good and most protein bars to me are just something to keep body and soul together when I'm super-busy or hiking or otherwise can't stop for fussier food. Most of the time, if I wanted lower calories and higher protein, I'd have Greek yogurt, which I also enjoy. If you *like* your protein bar or shake, that's different.

Nutrition and calories are both important, but so is not feeling punished by your food choices. Helps make this adventure sustainable.
  • Ayh5xd
    Ayh5xd Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight and keep it off long-term, reach for the avocado, and keep reaching for it. Counting calories is not sustainable. Instead try to change your outlook on "weight loss" into an opportunity for "health gain."