Ideas for Evenings?

Options
Hello all!
I have just started here a few days ago. I have alot to lose - 75 lbs to get me at a decent weight. I am so tired of being unfit and having to buy new clothes because I've outgrown what I've got!
I've read through some of the posts and everyone seems very nice and supportive, which is really great. I was hoping that someone had some ideas or pointers for evenings. I do pretty well all day, but really struggle in the evening.
Any suggestions?
thanks much!

Replies

• albina50
    Options
    plain popcorn works good! You can have three cups :happy:
  • leiivarius
    Options
    The brand of popcorn I buy is 100 calories for the entire bag, and it's really filling.
  • javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    Popcorn is a lifesaver for me. I can make it and munch on it for awhile without racking up big calories. Sat down with my own enormous bowl tonight while watching movies with the family. I make it homemade - 3T. of kernels and 1 T. of canola oil. Yum!
  • ashley_hill
    Options
    I have the same problem. I started looking at what I was going to have for dinner (and snacks) the night before and going ahead and entering it in. Then I figure out breakfast and lunch. It works out really well for me and it doesn't take a lot of time at all.
  • javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    How funny that all 3 of us posted the same answer, simultaneously!:laugh:
  • cbbecky
    cbbecky Posts: 17
    Options
    Welcome! I started recently also. I find it works best when I plan my meals and snacks in advance and work an evening snack into the plan. It feels indulgent to dish something up for myself at 9 pm while watching TV, and since I am measuring it and accounting for it, it is guilt free.
  • idreamofheaven
    Options
    well, i love popcorn so i will give that a try! :)
    i wish i didn't sit there and THINK about food so much...that's what i'd love to kick!
  • idreamofheaven
    Options
    I like the idea of planning a snack ahead of time. I was trying to do the "breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper" thing, so need to mix things up a bit.
    Thanks!
  • Nixb19
    Nixb19 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Try finding something that can keep your hands or mind busy as well! I found if I read a book that really grabs me, I'm less likely to snack or even a video game haha. Also, gum is sometimes a HUGE life saver if you need to keep your mouth busy, and they have that new "dessert" gum, which I highly recommend! (they taste really good lol and like 5 cals)
  • sherilynn65
    sherilynn65 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i agree witht he popcorn thing. i bought pop secret snack bags with butter, 100 calories a bag and it is alot of popcorn !!! i also like to get baby carrots you can have a cup of these for about 35 claories. good luck
  • MISHACHEZ
    Options
    hi,
    well I am not sure what all you are looking for at night, is it sweets? snack? desert? but what I do when I want any thing is I get me some about 1 cup of Light N fit vanilla Yogurt and slice of a whole banana and thats my yummy light snack and its very healthy all the way around, you can add a tbls of grape nuts as well if you want a crunch, I LOVE IT!!! the yogurt is 110 cals for a cup and the banana is about 80 cals, depends on the size ( dont it always) lol and well grape nuts it isnt much but I only do it once in a while and I dont use but a tea spoon so its never much, BUT like I always say { If you Bite it, Write it } you will do great!:flowerforyou:
  • mamacremers
    mamacremers Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Are you bored or hungry? I know I'm an emotional eater and I have a hard time at work so I chew lots of gum and that helps. My hubby makes fun of me because I go through a pack a week. If you're bored, maybe find something to do while you're watching TV. I just started attempting sock monkeys and I also got a new Cricut that I like to play with. Really hungry, maybe a Fiber One bar. They aren't too bad on calories and pretty filling.
  • jtfish112
    jtfish112 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, evenings are sometimes hard for me as well. I try to have a late afternoon snack around 4, like yogurt and a piece of fruit. That holds me off until 7 for dinner and I'm usually okay after that. Plan for high fiber, high protein meals that will keep you feeling full longer.

I'm only a few days into this myself and I think it's important to stick to your new diet and make adjustments along the way as you discover what your challenges are. It gets easier as you get used to it, and the support of your friends is a huge help!
  • sherylhs
    sherylhs Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I exercise in the evenings. By the time I cool down from doing the elliptical, I'm about ready for bed.

Good luck. I bet just changing up what you do in the evenings will help. Not sitting in front of the TV worked wonders for me.

~S
  • idreamofheaven
    Options
    LOVE the ideas! I will give 'em a try and see what works. Especially keeping my mind (and body) busy and not sitting around.
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have moved my supper to later - usually 8 - I too had the same problem - eating at night, usually because I am bore. now that I eat later, I can go to bed without eating again. Some great snacks I have found are Baked Lays - parmesan italian i think they are called and Southwestern Ranch (I used to be a doritos addict). I also like the baked scoops and salsa or mini triscuits - sweat chilli heat....not sure if you are craving salt or not...but those are my fixes :)
  • dd1224
    dd1224 Posts: 11
    Options
    I have this same problem (major reason for my weight gain) I have found TV to be a major problem because after 7p.m. its all fast food commercials! I mute my TV and look away, and I get either a glass of water or some tea. This might sound weird but I also find feeling cold makes me want to eat, so I put on wool socks, warm jammie pants and wrap up in a blanket. These two things are really helping me. Good luck!
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of planning a snack ahead of time. I was trying to do the "breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper" thing, so need to mix things up a bit.
    Thanks!
    Keep in mind that a calorie, is a calorie, is a calorie. It truly matters not as much when you eat but the number of calories you consume in a 24 hour period. I find it helpful to plan to cheat. I have an absolute love of Dark Chocolate and will calculate that in at the start of the day to ensure I stay close to goal numbers as a reward for doing well. But keep in mind that the running numbers are important too. I try to stay within 100 calories daily of my weekly running goal (7xdaily goal). As it works out the days I am short on calories allow for the days i go a little over. You can give in a little as long as your willing to pay the piper elsewhere. I keep a running tab in the comment section on my daily log to keep it in the forefront of my mind.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat within 3 hours of bedtime and if I start to get hungry in the evenings I look at it as my body has burned the fuel I gave it at dinner and will now burn stored fat all night. I also keep a big glass of water nearby that I sip on throughout the evening. Good luck :)
  • zbstngrl
    zbstngrl Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Some nights I have frozen berry mix 1 cup 90 cal and some nights when I want something crunchy I have Multiseed with soy sauce ( basically its mini crackers ) 1 oz is 110 cal (about 35 of them) I have them with Mediterranean hummus 70 cal per 2 Tbsp its really is satisfying and low calories or you can have baby carrots with hummus :) I buy all of these at Trader Joe's ...if you have one where you live check it out!

I also bought for $4.99 very simple food scale at Bed Bath and Beyond http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=13581258 and I am addicted to measuring everything :)