Weight Loss Stopped - Why?

Options
Feeling a bit discouraged. I lost 42 pounds between December 26 and May 26. Over the last couple of weeks, I have introduced vigorous exercise to my plan, in addition to the calorie and food plan I have been doing all along. In fact, my calorie deficit is nearly 1,500 a day. BUT, I have lost nothing for the past two weeks. I have been working harder, exercising, and eating very well (like always). Anyone else run into this same issue? If you began to lose again, how did it happen? I have 22 more pounds to go. That's it! I want to achieve that goal! Help???

Replies

• suejoker
    suejoker Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hello! Welcome to my world! I was eating flawlessly and exercising my butt off and then my weight loss stalled. I was pissed! Then, I realized that my body was probably feeling bullied. I mean, how would you feel if your boss told you to work harder for longer and didn't give you a raise? So, I raised my calorie goal and decreased the amount of exercise I was doing. Friend me, if you want to see more details. I was nervous, because I was enjoying the exercise and didn't want to gain weight from the increased calories. But, I did it. And, the scale started moving again. Hooray!
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Hey, Matt! Congrats on your weight loss progress so far! As you get closer to your goal, your progress will slow down. Since you've been working out harder, have you added more calories to your goal? Do you know your TDEE? Open your diary to public and you'll get more helpful responses.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Adding new, intense exercise to your regimen can lead to stalls for a few weeks as your muscles get used to the extra strain (they hold fluid as they heal). Also...stalling for a couple of weeks is totally normal, even with no change in exercise.
  • Trixie350
    Trixie350 Posts: 4
    Options
    Congratulations to all of you! For me I am trying to lose about 100 pounds. I am also all states to diabetic and I want to keep my sugar in check. This way I am off of all medication. I would appreciate all the help and support I can get from my fellow people on this post.
    Thank you
    Louie Martinez
  • Sarahw008
    Sarahw008 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your deficit is too high to lose weight (weird, right?). Your exercise should be building muscle, but by not feeding the muscle you are making you are putting your body in starvation mode and it's trying to save everything to help build those muscles. Replace what you are burning off and don't have a deficit higher than 1,000 calories.
  • IamMatt71
    IamMatt71 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I am already feeling better about this situation. I'll take your collective advice and see what happens. At least I am not gaining it back, right? :-)
  • LucyJenkins20
    Options
    It would be a good idea to slow down for 1 week to 2 weeks, as your body is getting used to your new lifestyle still and your muscles need time to repair. So cut down on the exercise (not completely) but continue eating clean! Also, don't be scared of gaining a couple extra pounds, you'll be able to get rid of it asap!