How long do your HRMs last?

Options
Before I start this, just in case I forget - its not the battery!!

Now that's out of the way, I'm on my 4th HRM in under a year. They keep dying, and I'm not sure whether I'm just unlucky, or they just don't last that long. I'm on a pretty standard setup; chest strap with watch; pretty popular brand too.

I guess my question for all you other HRM users is; how long do your HRMs last? Anyone else get the same reliability issue?

And, once again, I've tried changing the battery each time; Never helps!

Replies

• thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Interesting, not sure why yours are crapping out so quickly. I have a Garmin Forerunner 220 with a chest strap which I just got late last year. Before that I had a Garmin Forerunner 210 that lasted me almost 2.5 years without any problems at all. I used it at least 5-6 days a week, if not every day.

What part of the HRM is dying on you? How are you taking care of it?
  • Jennical
    Jennical Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Bump.... interested in replies....
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I have had a cheap walmart one for 2 years and still works fine.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 that's about 2 years old; only ever replaced the battery and chest strap (still worked fine but I wanted the new one you don't have to get wet).

What's dying about yours? Are you washing the chest strap regularly?
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Do you change the battery in the watch And the chest strap?

I have a Polar and mine have lasted for 2 yrs and is still running. The one before that last at least 7 yrs.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    My HRMs have all lasted until I upgraded them. My Timex HRM is still working after about 5 years, as is my Sigma bike computer with HRM. My Garmin Edge 800 is still working after over 3 years. My Garmin ForeRunner 410 is running, as is my Garmin ForeRunner 620.

I've had to change batteries on both the watches (for the Timex and Sigma; the others have rechargeable batteries) and the straps from time to time. If I use a strap 2-3 times a week, I replace the strap's batteries about once a year.

BTW, changing the batteries in the watch won't help if it's the strap's batteries that are running low.
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Hmmm ... That's interesting. I've had a Sportline, two FT7s and I'm now on an FT4 (which I bought as a spare - perhaps I jinxed it)

The Sportline just became very unreliable. For example, I'd be running, HR at 150, then it would suddenly fall to 72 for a few mins; then leap to 225 for another few mins.

Both the FT7s stopped transmitting. I think it was the transmitter in both cases, as neither the watch nor the exercise bike (nor phone for that matter) would pick it up.

FT4 working well so far - but it's only 3 weeks so far ..,
  • blackcloud13
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 that's about 2 years old; only ever replaced the battery and chest strap (still worked fine but I wanted the new one you don't have to get wet).

Washing the chest strap? I've never done that before - are you supposed to?
  • Wade8671
    Wade8671 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Its more likely a Bluetooth communication problem, if your using a phone then try deleting the connection and re discovering the device. if you using a watch I would contact the vendor for resetting instructions.....

good luck
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Hiya "Friday." :bigsmile:
    This probably isn't helpful, but... I have a wrist-based HRM (mio Alpha) and it's lasted me about 15-16 months so far. Only trouble I have with it is getting the sensors to pick up my pulse, since it's designed for a larger wrist than mine... and I do have to clean it after use since the sensors are optical.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    My Polar F4 is almost 6 years old. I've changed the battery in the watch twice (at the jeweler).
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to rinse the strap after every use, and you can wash it in the washing machine once a week. Just the fabric part, not the snap on piece! :smile:
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Do you change the battery in the watch And the chest strap?

I have a Polar and mine have lasted for 2 yrs and is still running. The one before that last at least 7 yrs.

Same
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options

Washing the chest strap? I've never done that before - are you supposed to?

Oh yeah - it gets icky (that's the professional term) from sweat and rubbing against your skin. I wash mine at least once a week in cold water - do not put in dryer though, let air dry.

Also replace the battery in the receiver that attaches to the chest strap. I also take that off after each use and wipe it off so it doesn't get clogged and the connection stays strong.
  • blackcloud13
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I've decided (based on all this) that I've been unlucky - so placed an order for another FT7. I will also start washing the strap, just in case!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I've decided (based on all this) that I've been unlucky - so placed an order for another FT7. I will also start washing the strap, just in case!

Following the basic care outlined in the manual usually helps a lot.
  • blackcloud13
    Options
    I like to think of myself as a man of science, pursing only logical options I understand. However, sometime you just try stuff someone else said - just in case!

I now have two previously dead HRMs back to life - after washing the straps in cold water - so thanks to all of you that pointed that out (tageekly and callMeCupcake)

Thanks