Really big/out of shape and runner?

Options
I guess I'm looking for a little inspiration here. Did anyone else start out at like 250+ and really out of shape and barely able to run half a block, but are now able to run a good distance? I'm just starting and it seems impossible to imagine I'd ever be able to run more than a mile - and even a mile seems like a dream.

Replies

• MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I started out last Feb at 242 and it was work for me to walk at 3.0 mph for a half hour. I now have 3 5ks under my belt and can run a 10 minute mile. It is all about slow process and pushing yourself but not to the point where you don't think you can do it.
  • purplespeckle
    Options
    i'm only at 180 but i've been doing the treadmill for 7 days and it gets easier every day
  • galvestongal
    galvestongal Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I personally didn't run when I was bigger. BUT...I do run now and frequently see a guy out running who is at least 350-400 lbs. He is a big guy but he can cover as much distance as the other "in-shape" runners that are 1/4 his size. He is an inspiration to me!
  • purplespeckle
    Options
    I started out last Feb at 242 and it was work for me to walk at 3.0 mph for a half hour. I now have 3 5ks under my belt and can run a 10 minute mile. It is all about slow process and pushing yourself but not to the point where you don't think you can do it.

that's great i'm doing 2.5-3 (it varies) walks on the treadmill for 30 minutes :) so your story gives me hope
  • classyleo77
    classyleo77 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I started at 250 this past summer and I can now run 10 minute miles for 3 miles. And if I slow down to 12 minute miles I can go for 5/6. Just keep at it and you WILL do it! When I first starting working out I couldn't even walk on the treadmill for more than 10 minutes. I started with the couch to 5k program, and repeated days that were hard for me.
  • caroline1851
    Options
    I've been running for 27 years (though not in the last 7 months due to a peristent heel problem). I would recommend walking more at the beginning. Once you've dropped some weight it'll be a lot easier and less chance of injury when you start jogging. When you get to the point of starting jogging, you could start with W (walk) and J (Jog) in min. : W 10, J1, W3, J1, W3, J1, W 10. Then W 8, J1.5. W 3, J 1.5, W 3, J 1.5, W 10 and so on until you build up the minutes running with less minutes of rest in between. You'll be amazed how quickly you improve. Good luck!
  • charliex2202
    charliex2202 Posts: 4,281 Member
    Options
    hey there, I have just joined today and wanted to say that all of your stories are what spurs me on to acheive what i know is possible... so thank you for your inspiration.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I was 273, running 5K next month.
  • glittersoul
    Options
    I'm 332 #'s and run on my treadmill, granted it is for only like 1/2 a min and then I walk again and then run/walk/run etc. I'm hoping this helps me improve my speed and stamina so I can go longer distances.
  • zowhat54
    Options
    I'm a very/big/out of shape runner - 50 pounds over my old running weight.

At 280 I don't like the pounding running is taking on my knees - so I fast walk instead. When I drop 20 I'll try to get back to running - but only via the walk and jog method described by caroline1851 - it's what my father did many years ago recovering from a heart attack. Improvement comes fast is right!

I hope to get back to my old level which was M-F....5,2,10,2,5.....

Good luck to you!!!
  • Robin66
    Robin66 Posts: 103
    Options
    My top weight was 272 and I'm now 134. When I was really heavy I could barely get up my front steps, now I can run, hike, elliptical and pretty much whatever I want to do. So yes, you'll be able to run longer distance or whatever your heart desire's. Good luck to you, you can do this. Just remember one day at a time.
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options

Yep, me too! I was 228 when i started (walking) ~ 3 mph for 30-40 mins and just did that like 2x a week until i got so i was walking 1+ hour at 4.0mph. When i did a walk/run 5k this past June, i finished in just under 43 minutes and was WHIPPED afterwards. I set my goal on walking a half marathon this fall and after i finished that i floundered, goal-less for a week or two. Then i decided to give the C25K program an honest try because i WANTED to be a runner, but i was afraid with my bad knees that it would never happen for me. I worked thru the weeks, skipping around a bit because i surprised myself by being in better shape than "couch" lol, and I have since run 3 5ks, the last one i was able to run the whole time!! :) 33:20!! ..... Believe you can do it and keep working towards that goal and you know what, you WILL get there! :)
  • glittersoul
    Options
    Here is the blog of a guy that was really big and started running .. http://bendoeslife.tumblr.com/beginning
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    The knees pay the price! And once hurt, it slows the whole process WAY down. Speaking from experience (tendonitis). Patience with the whole thing. I loved couch to 5K, coming back into jogging this year!