Law School made me Fat

Options
So I'm not huge...luckily just large thighs and stomach so I can hide my size with clothes.

But during the school year I gained maybe 10 pounds from all the sitting and reading...and a lot of the muscle I had built went soft because I was not able to keep a constant workout schedule. Now that the summer is here, I'm hoping to change that.

Lose about 10 pounds of fat while gaining 15 in muscle.

-Evin

Replies

• ccpauley
    ccpauley Posts: 70
    Options
    Oh no, I want to go to law school. I'll just have to run in the spot whilst I'm studying haha :)

Don't worry, you'll get back into shape, get a routine and it will become part of your life.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    First thing I'd work on is taking personal responsibility. While exercise might have been limited, your self control didnt have to be. Sorry if that came out harsher than intended but this is fully a mental battle and if you come unarmed and ready to surrender you're doomed to yo yo at the whim.

Also, 10 lbs of fat and gain 15 of muscle? You gonna use steroids to bulk then go into a deficit because otherwise, that sounds impossible.
  • ParamoreAddict
    ParamoreAddict Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Law school didn't make you fat. Life choices made you fat. First step towards weight loss is personal accountability.
  • Texsox
    Texsox Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Basically you want to tone up. Forget the scale and grab the tape measure. Plan workouts to build that muscle. You will probably gain weight, but will look "cut"*.

Good luck new lawyer :happy:

*The above opinion is not designed to and does not provide medical advice, professional diagnosis, opinion, treatment or services to you or to any other individual. Through this site and linkages to other sites,Texsox provides general information for educational purposes only. The information provided in this post, or through linkages to other posts, is not a substitute for medical or professional care, and you should not use the information in place of a visit, call consultation or the advice of your physician or other healthcare provider. Texsox is not liable or responsible for any advice, course of treatment, diagnosis or any other information, services or product you obtain through this site. :wink:
  • jenniferv38
    jenniferv38 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Law school made me fatter (I was already fat when I started). I pretty much ate my way through law school. Stressful time for sure...enjoy your summer :)
  • NYactor1
    NYactor1 Posts: 9,642 Member
    Options
    OP did take personal responsibility by seeking to go to grad school/become an attorney. Those who say he needs to take responsibility are probably still taking adult GED classes.

He can cut the weight pretty quickly, you can't get a law degree quickly...if at all.

Writing case briefs may be one of the worst things ever...
  • Bennettlizzy81
    Options
    Yeah grad school made me turn to self-medicating stress with food as well. It was because of me; being healthy just wasn't on my top priority at the time and I was not managing my stress effectively. It is a really hard time of life. Congrats on getting it back together! :) I'm pretty much doing the same thing
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    OP did take personal responsibility by seeking to go to grad school/become an attorney. Those who say he needs to take responsibility are probably still taking adult GED classes.

He didn't take responsibility for his own actions if he's going to blame something for his own actions. It doesn't take a law degree to figure that out.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Personally it was my excessive love of the taco bell value menu that made me fat... sorry you had go spend so much to gain weight. Good luck OP!
  • ParamoreAddict
    ParamoreAddict Posts: 839 Member
    Options

He can cut the weight pretty quickly, you can't get a law degree quickly...if at all.

When we're speaking of personal responsibility, I thought it was pretty clear we were speaking of weight loss. No need to hurl insults. If one doesn't hold themselves accountable for their own actions but blames something else, it's a recipe for disaster right from the start. Just peruse the forums and you'll see multiple threads about people using excuses. I just don't want this person to get off on the wrong foot. Realize that you are the sole reason for your weight gain through your bad choices and you will be the sole reason for your weight loss through your good choices as well.
  • woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I gained about 15 pounds through college, 15 pounds through law school, and about 15 more for the first few years - long late hours reading translates to fast food far too often. Try to fit workouts into your regular routine throughout the year if you can. If you're interning in the summer like most law students, you're going to have less free time to workout than you think.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Law school didn't make you fat. Life choices made you fat. First step towards weight loss is personal accountability.

Law school was arguably the proximate cause. Any alleged failure to take personal responsibility just makes him an eggshell plaintiff. He should sue. On the other hand, law schools usually have good defense lawyers, and there's probably an assumption of risk. Plus, no relevant duty, major causation issues, and, really, what are the pecuniary damages?

Uh, anyway, welcome to MFP, OP!
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options

What?
  • Texsox
    Options
    Ah, the cult of MFP. We really do need a set of rules and appropriate punishments.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    Ah, the cult of MFP. We really do need a set of rules and appropriate punishments.

For opinions? That's called a dictatorship
  • Texsox
    Options
    /begin sarcasm

He hasn't accepted personal responsibility. There must be posts calling him out on that, it's the only way he will learn. If he simply posted right away that it was because of his weakness that he is overweight, no one would have complained. But instead in some people's eyes he was blaming it on law school! That's clearly must be against some rule here.

Next he may say he doesn't weigh his food!

/sarcasm
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    You made you gain. Not some books :)
  • jrojeck
    jrojeck Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    He could just be being facetious with the thread name. People have different ways of dealing with stress whether it's positive or not. Studying just happened to be more of a priority at the time than fitness. He's here now and hopefully ready to take charge of his fitness goals.

Anyways, welcome, OP!
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You are arguing semantics. I am sure he realizes what he ate during law school made him fat. Jeeze.
  • NYactor1
    NYactor1 Posts: 9,642 Member
    Options
    He could just be being facetious with the thread name. People have different ways of dealing with stress whether it's positive or not. Studying just happened to be more of a priority at the time than fitness. He's here now and hopefully ready to take charge of his fitness goals.

Anyways, welcome, OP!

Exactly, thank you!