Lemon-pepper Tuna salad with Greek Yogurt (instead of mayo)

Options
msafunk
msafunk Posts: 163 Member
I grew up on tuna sandwiches drenched in mayo, and after I started my weight loss journey, I pretty much stopped eating canned tuna because I thought that there was no way to make it healthy and tasty without mayo

I came up with a recipe that I LOVE more than the old glob of mayo:

1 can chunk light tuna in water (drained)
2 Tablespoons fat-free plain greek yogurt (I use either Fage or Chobani-- depending on what's on sale)
1 Tablespoon lemon-pepper seasoning (more or less to taste)
1/4 cup finely chopped celery and onion (more or less to taste)

Nutrition for the whole recipe:
195 Calories
7g carbs
2g fat
38g protein

I use the entire can/recipe on a sandwich with double fiber whole wheat bread, but it can easily be cut into two portions to use as a snack, or eaten on its own without bread.

Replies

• ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Sounds good! I've been using sour cream because I'm not a mayo fan. I like to squeeze a little orange juice into it and add some walnuts for crunch too!
  • BonitaMay79
    BonitaMay79 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I make a " thai " inspired tuna salad which is very tasty. Maybe not exactly fit for a tuna sandwich, but good as a salad.

tuna ( can or pouch )
    finely chopped onion ( I prefer green )
    cubed cucumbers
    cubed tomato
    lots and lots of chopped cilantro/coriander
    a spritz of asian fish sauce ( it smells bad but then dissipates. It's high in salt but occasionally ok with the new salt ruling )
    lots of lime/lemon juice
    mix
    serve on a bed of lettuce, spinach or greens of your choice
    I often eat half an avocado filled with this salad as my lunch and feel it's the perfect meal.
    I also chop red or other color peppers and add them to the mix....whatever is available and fits in my calories is good.
  • Ashli_Renee
    Ashli_Renee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Oops. I forgot that I also put finely chopped fresh chiles in quantities to taste in my " Thai inspired " tuna salad.....sorry for that omission.
  • toricoppardx
    toricoppardx Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    tried this for my lunch today as plain tuna tasted too plain and too much like sea water for my liking. I LOVED this recipe! added in some diced red bell pepper to add a little crunch. yummy! thanks for the heads up!
  • Strensk
    Strensk Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm not the biggest fan of tuna in the world, but the protein to fat ratio is good. This recipe should help me a bunch! Thanks!
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Ooh, will have to try that one. Thanks!

I make this one:

For one can of tuna -

Juice of half a lime
    Parsley
    1-2 T light ranch dressing
    Dash of Old Bay or Lemon Pepper (depending on my mood)

I wrap it in a whole wheat or other wrap with cucumber and tomato slices.
  • jackson7478
    jackson7478 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Ooh, they all sound so good. I love tuna salads, gonna try some this weekend. Thanks!!
  • skylineprints
    skylineprints Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Just tried tuna for the first time in my life (literally 5 minutes ago). wish i had found this recipe first. what i mixed was simple and plain. it was ok but this sounds much more exciting. thanks for sharing all these tips and recipes.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    These tuna recipie sounds wonderful. I'm going to print them and give them a try.
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I also use greek yogurt instead of mayo. I make a chicken salad with canned chicken, greek non fat yogurt, 1 red apple diced, 1-2 stalks of celery diced, chopped grapes, and sometimes some slivered almonds. Its yummy, high protein, and low calories.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    We like this one

Can of Tina in water, drained
    1 diced apple
    Greek yogurt
    Diced onion
    Craisins
    Walnuts
    Put in a roasted red pepper pita...
  • Jess__I__Can