EXCUSES.... EXCUSES!!!!

Options
sweetcurlz67
sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
My teen years I weighed 135 – 145. Got married, lived life and ballooned to 284 – a doctor’s reading on August 2011. I didn’t gain the weight all at once. However, over the years I knew I was gaining and I did want to lose the weight. I ‘wished’ I could magically lose weight without doing anything to make it happen. I even prayed for it to happen (SMH!).

Here are some of the excuses I used over the years:

I’m too tired (turned out I have sleep apnea)
I don’t know how (could have asked!)
I didn’t eat much anyway (ate the WRONG foods!)
I’m anemic (should have taken my meds!)
I have hypothyroidism (turned out I had thyroid cancer – they had to remove my thyroid, some lymphnodes & part of the parathyroid)
I have an unsupportive emotionally (& sometimes physically) abusive husband (so what?!?! Do it anyway!!!)
I work a lot (excuse to get away from husband – could have spent some of that time at the gym!)
I go to school (to help support family – ok, still can workout & eat right)
I had a miscarriage then proceeded to have a child (and, your point???)

I’ve since developed other symptoms such as high blood pressure, which is better now, but because of it gave me kidney disease which I will have the rest of my life. My stomach can’t handle foods I love any longer (even healthy foods) because of choices I made, and more.

January 2012 I gave up diet soda. 20 pounds gone within a month or so! The end of Feb 2012 beginning of a divorce, another 20 pounds by the end of May/June. July 4th 2012, I walked a 5k with some friends: 59 minutes. At that point, I began a consistent workout routine – for ME!

From there, I lost a total of 110 pounds and got down to 175 pounds. But wait… I gained some back after I was laid off of work this past August 2013, about 15 or so pounds. So, as of my last weigh in, I am at 186.2 pounds. My goal is 145 but my dr says 155. We’ll see.

Ok, so I slipped a little… so what??? It happens. This is a lifestyle, a marathon, not a sprint.

Here’s a before/after pic.

2s0hlr5.jpg

So let me ask you…. What are your excuses??? What’s holding you back??? :flowerforyou: :heart:

edit to resize picture. :wink:

Replies

• FierceV_Phat
    FierceV_Phat Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Nice post Sis.......trying to think of what my excuses were.......without telling to much about me that I'm not ready to share with the world yet......but they use to be I'm thick but I still look good......I was labeled sexy thick until it got out of control....I was a gym rat but for all the wrong reasons......my weight stayed between 247 and 267 which .i carried in my hips butt and thighs! I should used my money to better my health.....before this ended I was 337 lbs....I am 201 lbs today......
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Great job on getting rid of your excuses and losing the weight! You are looking fantastic!!
  • StilletoPumps0110
    Options
    Good for you! No more excuses! You look great!
  • newlife6745
    newlife6745 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I really have no excuses.... Just didn't care as much as I should have. I finally realize that I need to do it for more than how I look but to remain healthy and then look great in the meantime.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Hashimotos is holding me back. Not an excuse. It really does make it more difficult. Still possible, but it'll take a long *kitten* time.
  • misscem94
    misscem94 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, you are looking fabulous! :)

My excuses were basically illness, laziness and ignorance. I knew I had gained weight, but thought I was still a athletic size 12. To be fair, the emerging stretchmarks over my tummy should have been a massive hint, but I just ignored the signs and ate whatever the hell I wanted.

204 days since I started my journey, I have given up fizzy drinks and juices, minus special occasions; I track all my calories, I exercise for at least 5 hours a week and have been more mindful of my food choices. About 51 pounds down now and feeling great!
  • GodsJewel40
    GodsJewel40 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My excuses have been .... I was in a car accident and messed up my leg and it hurts when I walk a long distance on it , and I dont want to exercise by my self ... i have no support people around me to hold me accountable
  • Kimbermcle9
    Kimbermcle9 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My excuses... I'm a single mom and I work a lot - don't have time to eat healthy or work out, it costs too much, I don't have a good support system. I need someone to keep me motivated.... this list goes on and on...

I'm working on this by creating my own support group with MFP and friends around town. ... I'm still not working out because I'm really tired - maybe sleep apnea? But every day I work on my excuses.. sometimes I let them get the best of me .. most of the times I don't let them.

One day at a time right?
  • 6yuu
    6yuu Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    "I'm too tired"
    "I didn't eat THAT much today anyway..."
    "I do it most days, I can skip today"
    and so many more haha maintaining an active lifestyle takes effort!
  • bobbinalong
    bobbinalong Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Atta Girl! You ARE worth it!
  • jltheis7
    jltheis7 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I'm 12 hrs into a 24 hrs excuse tracking exercise. 4 pages of crap so far which is like a huge wake-up call already and I have 12 hours to go. (I decided to not count time sleeping so it's really 48.)
  • brigidy
    brigidy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Excuse 1: "I don't want to be the party pooper that ruins dinner, I will eat with everyone tonight and start eating healthier tomorrow." Didn't I realize that most restaurants offer healthy options...no didn't even look at that part of the menu!

Excuse 2: "Healthy foods are too expensive, plus I don't know how to cook healthy foods". Uhhhh.. George Foreman grill, turkey burgers, skinless chicken breasts, steamable veggies and fresh salads Much faster, healthier, and tastier than all the butter and sugar laden glop I was serving.

Excuse 3: "I still look slim". ..Yea, until I got my vacation pictures back.
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    You have been doing great, keep up the good work.

Excuses?

Don`t have any, I just experiment for a few years.

I started eating pizza, burgers and fries and washing it down with chips and beer. I just wanted to see what it was like to be fat and out of shape. And then see how hard it would be to lose the weight and get back in shape again. And I don`t think that I ever want to try that again!
  • sweetcurlz67
    Options
    Thanks for your responses!!! :flowerforyou:

Maintaining a healthy lifestyle may not seem easy. Once we get use to it, it becomes a habit. I think the biggest hurdle - for me at least - was my mindset. All the excuses combined seemed like valid excuses but they were still there when I got out of MY way. When I determined that I was going to do this for myself, no excuse in the world was going to stop me.

@1911JR... eating pizza, burger, & fries then washing it down w/chips & beer is OK as long as it's done RARELY & in extreme moderation!!! :laugh: LOL
  • mralmayes
    mralmayes Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I dont have very many excuses in that I work out/ exercise in some capacity 5-6 days a week. Excuses are like a-holes...everybody has one and some are worse than others. I think that your statement about mindset is spot on in that the most difficult challenge is the mental fight you have make conscience food choices, and having the determination to meet your personal goals. I have had the oppertunity to see my body transform many times over as I like to get on stage and compete. You go through good periods, and bad periods, but once you are able to see the transformation....see that your efforts are not unwasted, and the bug bites you, it just becomes a way of life. People ask me all the time when I am getting ready for a competition..."Is it that serious?" And I say, "For me, it becomes a personal battle for myself. Will I mentally defeat myself which will ensure that I do not look good on stage, or do I dig deep and come out on top? It's always that serious." Or they ask, "Holy crap! How did you get so big, or cut up so fast?" It is sheer hard work, determination, making smart choices, and making even more sacrifices. How bad do you want it? Sick= recover Tired, not in the mood, lazy, not enough time, too much going on= get your *kitten* in the gym and train. You'll thank yourself later.
  • sweetcurlz67
    Options
    I like to get on stage and compete.

Pictures or it didn't happen!!! LOL :love: :heart:

Yes, I'm thanking myself now for losing what I've lost, but also kicking my butt for gaining some back but I'm NOT defeated!

Thank you for sharing, it's good to see that even with SMOKIN' HOT people there are mental challenges!!! Now excuse me while I go check out your pictures again!!! :smooched: :blushing: :love: :bigsmile: :heart:
  • mralmayes
    mralmayes Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Couple of them are on the profile :)
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Well done for owning it and ultimately you lost the weight because you did it for you I wish you well with rest of journey you will inspire many others and despite having health problems youre doing it so you should feel extremely proud
  • caroldurham18
    caroldurham18 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Iam new to the program.I was always making excuses. I would try mess up then....
    Say Oo. ll start tomorrow.reading your journal has really inspired me to think postive ????ty
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm too lazy to do serious weight training. A few years ago I did it for 45 minutes 3 times a week and it really made a difference in my body. Lost weight without changing my diet. Now doing it for only 5 minutes. I want to get back in the habit of long workouts.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!