How much is too much healthy food?

Options
I go all out when I eat healthy food, and doing so usually leaves me feeling extremely bloated afterwards. For example, my dinner last night consisted of roughly 3 cups of steamed broccoli, 4 cups of mesclun salad greens and like 10 egg whites, (only the whites) of smallish-medium boiled eggs, among other vegetables such as onions beetroot etc. I ate non-stop for an hour, and continued to eat after I knew I was getting full. As a result I felt bloated for quite a while after this meal and got the feeling that I definitely ate too much, yet the entire meal still put me far below my calorie count for the day, even though I felt so impossibly full.

My question would probably be this, if you feel bloated after eating too much healthy food, is it still acceptable? if calories and protein (i eat a lot of low calorie high protein foods) and fats are all looked after? (bloating yourself on vegetables basically)

any advice would be appreciated :)

Replies

• fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Overstijg like that, even when you're already full, is never healthy.
    Why do you eat like that? Did you replace junkfood binging with veggie binging?
  • HMbubblegun
    HMbubblegun Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    that's a huge meal, no wonder you feel bloated after eating it. Just because a food is considered "healthy" doesn't mean it's OK to binge on it. Cut down your portion sizes and only eat until you are about 8/10ths full. Then if you are hungry later, have a healthy snack like some fruit or a handful of nuts. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I go all out when I eat healthy food, and doing so usually leaves me feeling extremely bloated afterwards. For example, my dinner last night consisted of roughly 3 cups of steamed broccoli, 4 cups of mesclun salad greens and like 10 egg whites, (only the whites) of smallish-medium boiled eggs, among other vegetables such as onions beetroot etc. I ate non-stop for an hour, and continued to eat after I knew I was getting full. As a result I felt bloated for quite a while after this meal and got the feeling that I definitely ate too much, yet the entire meal still put me far below my calorie count for the day, even though I felt so impossibly full.

My question would probably be this, if you feel bloated after eating too much healthy food, is it still acceptable? if calories and protein (i eat a lot of low calorie high protein foods) and fats are all looked after? (bloating yourself on vegetables basically)

any advice would be appreciated :)

There is nothing healthy sounding about what you have just said.... Plus where is the fat in veg and egg whites?
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't feel the need to overeat on any foods whether healthy or not. Have a glass of water with a meal, drink some before you start and some halfway through, should help to fill you up.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Your stomach only has a certain capacity, no matter the nutritional make up of your food. Why would you gorge like that, to pain? Eat a reasonable sized meal, with reasonable macros. Of course stretching a particular sized bag to a ridiculous extent will make you bloat and feel bad. Your stomach had a physical size.
  • ageeeboro
    ageeeboro Posts: 9
    Options
    thanks for all the quick replies guys! I understand that eating to the point of bloating and discomfort is bad. What i'm trying to get at is , what exactly will be the negative impact on my body as a result of binge eating vegetables, besides making me feel uncomfortable afterwards? edit*if all goals are looked after.
  • ageeeboro
    Options
    I understand that the meal itself was obviously not healthy, the only thing that I said was healthy was the vegetables I was eating. The fats I took in throughout the day aligned with goals.., as did everything else
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the quick replies guys! I understand that eating to the point of bloating and discomfort is bad. What i'm trying to get at is , what exactly will be the negative impact on my body as a result of binge eating vegetables, besides making me feel uncomfortable afterwards? edit*if all goals are looked after.

What are your goals?
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    The negative impact is that you are not learning to eat in moderation, you are still eating beyond your need - you stated you ate though you knew you were full.
    We have to 'learn' to eat proper portions and in moderation or how can we continue long term to achieve our goals.
  • ageeeboro
    Options
    my goals being the min fats & protein/max calories& carbs needed to sustain my caloric deficit. :)
  • ageeeboro
    Options
    I understand your point. I feel that I kind of just mindlessly munch away at things when the calorie roof of the day is nowhere close enough to set off alarm bells in my head. (until my bloated stomach does so anyway)