maple syrup Vs molasses Vs honey

Options
i wanted to make protein muesli bars and need to add a liquid sweetness to it ,
what one is the healthiest to use and brand recommendations? i was going to put agave necta on the list but found its very high fructose and so necessarily that nutritious

Replies

• GingerLee13
    GingerLee13 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I vote honey, because I like honey.

I only like molasses in ginger snap cookies and I prefer my maple syrup to be on pancakes.

When I'm avoiding white sugar I reach for the honey.
  • 1FearlessFighter
    1FearlessFighter Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    what do maple syrup and molasses taste like and would the molasses add a black colour to the bars
  • natstar26
    natstar26 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    what do maple syrup and molasses taste like and would the molasses add a black colour to the bars
    Mayple syrup is the best mm yummmz it tastes less sweet than honey and its not as thick. Its more a mellow sweetness. Never had molasses on its own but I've tried it in cookies its pretty good but its an acquired taste.
  • 1FearlessFighter
    Options
    is molasses the same as treacle?
  • KhatLady
    KhatLady Posts: 51 Member
    Options

Molasses is like really dark, rich brown sugar. According to wikipedia the British call it black treacle. It is very sweet, but the sweetness is counterbalanced with a very deep body. Its one of those things where there's no mistaking molasses for anything else.

Honey can depend greatly on the type. Clover honey tastes different from orange blossom and so on. It is also sweet, but the flavor is less rich than the molasses. It's a softer sweetness. It tends to have a slightly floral or fruity undertone because, well, bees and flowers and all that.

I don't like maple syrup at all, never have, but I always have honey and molasses on hand.

But make SURE you're using the right molasses. Blackstrap is NOT for sweetening things - take this from someone who accidentally used it to make Boston Baked Beans. :sick:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    i wanted to make protein muesli bars and need to add a liquid sweetness to it ,
    what one is the healthiest to use and brand recommendations? i was going to put agave necta on the list but found its very high fructose and so necessarily that nutritious
    Err Fructose is a sugar in fact honey is around 45% fructose to 55% glucose. And of course Agave Nectar will be full of fructose as it's plant based. Don't get hung up on the types of sugar. Despite the scaremongering sugar is just sugar where ever it occurs and the body generally treats it the same. it won't kill you and if within your calories will not make you pile on the weight.

Anyway as to your question . I'm a golden syrup fan for things like this I just like the sweeteness and general taste of it. Though sometimes I do go Maple syrup though. Just go for the one that you like the taste of
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Health-wise, there's not going to be a great deal of difference. I would (and do) go by taste.
  • NancyKhuu
    NancyKhuu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I like molasses but that's just because I like the taste. There isn't anything too bad with all those three options when used in moderation so I vote for just use whatever your tastebuds prefer.
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Health-wise, there's not going to be a great deal of difference. I would (and do) go by taste.

QFT

What other ingredients are in the protein bar you are making? Are you looking for a taste that is more earthy and robust like molasses or something more sweet like maple syrup? They are all good! If you are using dried fruit or chocolate chips already I might go with molasses or otherwise it could get TOO sweet.
  • 1FearlessFighter
    Options
    i am using:

oats
    dried cherries
    almonds
    sunflower seeds
    pumpkin seeds
    vanilla whey protein powder
    cinnamon
    nutmeg