cereal and oatmeal

Options
I've read on a lot of sites that cereal- even "healthy" cereal really isn't. Cereal sits in your system and does nothing to help lose weight. I've read that oatmeal is the key to fill you up, rev your metabolism and help lose weight.
I wanted to know if others have heard this about cereal.
My other question is what kind of oatmeal? Everyone talks about steel oats being the best. then there's old fashioned oats and quick oats. not sure I know the difference between them- except that steel takes a half hour to make and I don't always have that time in the morning before work. I got some organic old fashioned and I like it.
can anyone shed some light on oatmeal- what's the difference and what will be the best for me.
Thanks.

Replies

• TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    Well of course oatmeal, assuming it isn't the good stuff, is going to be healthier. But I eat cereal for breakfast most days because it's what I prefer and I was able to lose weight.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I always ate cereal when I was trying to lose weight. Didn't care what it was---Lucky Charms, Frosted Flakes, Honey Nut Cheerios, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, etc. I liked it so therefore I ate it.

I always had it with whole milk too. Because that's the only kind of milk I will drink.

Difference? I just ate less than I was used to eating.

I actually hate the taste and texture of oatmeal so I will never eat it. I've tried it multiple times and multiple ways. Still no.

Eat what you like.
  • kristendeyell
    kristendeyell Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Love cereal! However, I can't hit my protein macros if I have just cereal for breakfast. So instead I have oatmeal with protein powder and greek yogurt.
  • JoeyFrappuccino
    JoeyFrappuccino Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    The problem with cold cereals is that they're typically crazy high in sugar - they're functionally candy, in my opinion. I don't know how quick-cooking oats are different from "old-fashioned", but I think they're nutritionally identical. I've never been able to cook them in the time they advertise on a stovetop (usually one minute), so I've always assumed they're meant to be microwaved instead. Steel-cut oats are usually prepared the night before, but I've never been bothered to cook them. If old-fashioned oats aren't to your taste, you might give them a try. Personally, I eat old-fashioned oats regularly and consider them a staple. That said, cold cereal is no worse for weight loss than are oats. If you get better results with them then by all means forget about the oats, just be aware of the high calorie and sugar content in most of them.
  • Oxxygi
    Oxxygi Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm in love with whole grain outmeal...:) I like the taste, the texture...everything...:) But that's me. I don't like cereal, it doesn't look like real food to me, smth too artificial.
  • theresea1231
    theresea1231 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Every morning I eat a bowl of Oat Revolution Steel Cut Classic instant oatmeal by BetterOats with unsweetened original Almond Breeze almond milk instead of water. Mostly because I love it and it keeps me from eating something less healthy but also because the oatmeal and almond milk together are only 160 calories :)
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat cereal and other times oatmeal. I do prefer oatmeal though! Especially when I make overnight oats. Oats, milk, chia seeds, cocoa powder, yogurt, sweetener of choice and a banana all mixed in a mason jar or something then left over night! Delicious! :D sometimes I go with unsweetened apple sauce and some cinnamon instead of the cocoa powder and banana!
  • focused4health
    focused4health Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Egg whites and cinnamon. Add and whisk constantly so the whites dont scramble. Delicious and adds protein. :smooched:
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    Carbs=carbs.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about cereals and grains impeding weight loss. Unless you have a medical condition that prohibits these foods, there's no reason not to enjoy them if you like them.

I'm pretty busy and I hate meal prep, so I love cold cereal with milk in the morning. Usually it's whatever cheap version of cheerios or special k I can find on sale, with whole milk and a little bit of chocolate syrup. Fast, filling, and only one bowl to wash.

I do love oatmeal, too, and when I feel like it, I cook some. I throw in raisins, sunflower seeds, cinnamon, honey, and a splash of milk. Good stuff.

Now, if grains/carbs don't fill you up like they do for me, you may want to try more protein rich breakfasts, like eggs or greek yogurt.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. Cereal is a carb. You need carbs. The ONLY thing you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. Everything else is complete BS.

Yeah... and so is the 'oatmeal is filling' thing I keep hearing too, as far as I'm concerned :laugh:
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. Cereal is a carb. You need carbs. The ONLY thing you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. Everything else is complete BS.

Yeah... and so is the 'oatmeal is filling' thing I keep hearing too, as far as I'm concerned :laugh:

My regular breakfast is oatmeal with a tablespoon of protein powder, cranberry trail mix, a little low-fat milk. Bingo! enough carbs, protein, fat, and calories ;-) Out of oatmeal today so I had two eggs and toast.
  • bbracken77
    bbracken77 Posts: 65
    Options
    I love my cereal :)