Can net calories go under 1200?

Options
My sister's about 4'10, and has a TDEE of 1400-1500 calories a day. She's eating 1200 calories, and exercising a lot, so that her net calories are under 1200 a day. She doesn't want to eat back exercise calories, because then her deficit would still be the same -- very small.

We keep reading conflicting info about whether the 1200 calorie limit is for food intake, or net. Any suggestions?

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Some 4'10" women may have a BMR that is less than 1200 (for instance a 35 y/o 100 lb woman). TOtally depends on her age and weight. HOWEVER, eating back some of your exercise calories is a good thing.

Maybe your sister should do some research regarding her caloric needs, rather than take MFP's word? :)
  • Myveganwellies
    Myveganwellies Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    hello. please can you tell me what BMR and TDEE mean?
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11" (rounding up a bit) and 95 lbs. I'm 33 years old and sedentary, unless I go workout, I usually net around 1100. If your sister just got started, her appetite may need to adjust a little to her increase in activity. Give her a few weeks.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    lovemywellies: BMR is Basal Metabolic Rate, the number of calories your body needs, even if you stayed in bed all day. TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure - this is the number of calories your body needs to maintain your current weight at your normal activity level. TDEE is ALWAYS going to be higher than BMR. :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    We keep reading conflicting info about whether the 1200 calorie limit is for food intake, or net. Any suggestions?

Move to another country and 1200 isn't even a thing ;-)

But seriously, if the argument for 1200 is that of nutritional adequacy then the minerals, vitamins, proteins and fats in your 1200 cals of food are not erased by exercise, and if you have the fat reserves to supply the deficit you're good to go.