Just Joined - Lots of Weight to Lose

I'm a twenty-four year old college student. I just joined the website and am hoping it'll be a good tool to help me lose weight. I have an almost overwhelming amount to lose. I just passed the four hundred pound mark which was a really sad milestone to pass.I think I'm finally ready to commit to losing the weight and commit to myself. I'm going to try to take it one week at a time and try to not let myself be overwhelmed by the amount of weight I have to lose. I have definitely started to notice negative effects on my health and some difficulty getting around due to my weight which is scary but it's great fuel to know I have to do something now.

I just thought I would introduce myself to the community. I look forward to reading the message boards and learning about the journeys of others as well as any support or tips I can find. Thanks for reading!

Replies

• gobraves47
    gobraves47 Posts: 213 Member
    Welcome to MFP! It really works if you keep it up. The key is to find something that works for your life that you can stick with forever. Try not to worry about losing it as fast as you can--there will be ups and downs, but just stay on the path and you'll get where you want to go. Good luck--You can do this!!
  • jenn48847
    jenn48847 Posts: 6
    Welcome!! Just focus on losing a little at a time. Once you get into the swing of things and the weight comes off you will have so much motivation to stick with it. Best of luck to ya!!!
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Hello! As someone who is also looking at a pretty scary number of pounds to lose... I've found it's not nearly as scary to break it up into much smaller increments. I can definitely handle losing 10 pounds. That's not too bad. I just have to do it several times (like 15 or so). It's also nice to have a little rewards system set up so you get a small, non-food treat at the end of those ten pounds. I get a new book, because I'm a pretty avid reader.

And if you are competitive, set fitness goals and little rewards there, too. It helps me to work towards something tangible and immediate. :)

Good luck to you!