First 5 k

Options
Hi,

I'm doing my first 5k next Sunday. I am nervous because I'm slow. My projected 5k with my app is always around 55 minutes....

How was you first 5k?

I am currently doing the C25K, I'm at week 7 day1.

:)

Replies

• CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    don't worry about time. you do your thing and go at your own pace. it's normal to be nervous before a race. I still get nervous days leading up to the race. once you are at the actual race, it's a whole new vibe. enjoy the race and enjoy your training runs. good luck.
  • TheDarkestStar87
    TheDarkestStar87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Well done for signing up and going for it! Don't worry about the time for the first race, just enjoy the experience of it and wear the finisher medal with pride. The community spirit at races is amazing, first or last (and I've been last before so I know) people will cheer for you because they know you're doing something great for yourself.

And remember, whatever your time in this first race, it'll be your personal best :wink:
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the race and when you're done it's like WOW, when is the next race!
  • eemitchell1984
    eemitchell1984 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My first 5k is tonight. Its a color run though so im planning on taking it easy and focusing on fun. For me i needed to do something less intense so that i didnt psyche myself out on something intense. Good luck, im sure youll do great!
  • aschroeder2749
    aschroeder2749 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My first 5k was last year, the MudFactor. Honestly, I walked most of the time. But I had a BLAST, and I did all the obstacles. I'm doing the same run next month, and this time I've been training! By the time the 5k rolls around, I should be able to run 3 miles straight, though with the hills and obstacles and trudging through the mud, I'm sure I'll tire out sooner. Have fun.
  • Awesomers
    Awesomers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Don't worry so much about the time and go at a comfortable pace. I just did my first 5k on 5/10 and it was awesome! I wanted my time to be under 45 minutes, but I came in at 47:07. Now I have a goal for my next 5k in October! What I really liked about the 5k was the positive atmosphere. I will gladly substitute those 2 slower minutes for the experience and meeting new people. Have fun!!
  • 123stefania
    123stefania Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    thanks for all you replies I feel more confident now!
    I will go at my pace and its true if I need to walk, I will walk :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    As most everyone said already, just go at your own pace. Race day excitement will shave time off of your usual 5k practice run time. The race I did 2 weeks ago I was 3 minutes faster than my best practice run this year.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Time isn't important. Getting out there and completing it is what matters!

Have a blast.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    My first 5K was Warrior Dash last year, loved it so much, I did it again this year.

Doesn't matter what the time is.
    Doesn't matter what you place.
    Doesn't matter how fast you go.
    It's not you against anyone else.
    It's you against you.

If you start and you finish, you win.

Period.
  • eemitchell1984
    eemitchell1984 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My first 5K was Warrior Dash last year, loved it so much, I did it again this year.

It's you against you.

Period.
    Perfectly stated!
  • 123stefania
    123stefania Posts: 167 Member
    Options

It's you against you.

Period.

thank you! i love what you said!
  • ohiotubagal
    ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    How exciting! Lots of luck and I'm sure you'll do great. I'm hoping to do my first 5k in July. And as long as we finish...we win!!