does going way over calories from one meal impact weightloss

Options
I went out to eat at a buffet tonight because we had a meeting there. I had over 500 calories saved for this but I know I went over my total between 300-500 cals. I don't do this alot so will it affect me much as long as I go back to normal tomorrow? I know I may not lose anything but I don't want to gain anything back. Oh well, if I do-lesson learned Ha!

Replies

• water4life
    water4life Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you are trying to lose a week. 1lb is 500 calorie deficit and 2lbs a week is 1,000 calorie deficit. As long as you have a deficit you should lose!
  • ababygrace
    Options
    It is set at 1.5 pound deficit however, I'm just wondering if I will gain anything? I seen that drinking a lot of water will help when you go over.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    strict adherence to the calorie count is good, but........ once a week you should have a "cheat day". Don't go hog wild but eat the things you deny yourself all week that you are trying to eliminate all together. Six days good deserves one day of cheat. It keeps the body guessing. Another strategy is called carb zig-zagging. It is what it sounds like. Same level of carbs for 3 days then a bunch over for a day then back to 3 days normal and then a day higher in protein to offset the low carbs, etc. Lots of good stuff in this book:
    Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle by Tom Venuto. You can download the PDF and read it in a couple days.
    Good Luck and friend me if you like. Oh and my diary is public so you can see what I'm eating, etc.
  • mirenner
    mirenner Posts: 205
    Options
    just kill it at the gym tomorrow... sorted
  • Lifedreamer
    Options
    It sounds like you did pretty well for a buffet actually, I find family members eating over 1500 cals when we go to one, granted it's only about twice a year. Holding back at every meal the rest of your life is just going to stress you out. Just go back on track and you shouldn't see a gain, in fact you should still lose weight in the long run and this week since you'll still be at a deficit, just don't make a habit out of it.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You'll be just fine. I have two days off from working out and being strict with my calories. As long as I watch my sugar intake and don't go completely crazy both days I'm fine. My goal has been to lose 1 pound per week and until Christmas (when I was eating tons off cookies and candy) I was successful even though I went over two days a week.
  • guardup
    guardup Posts: 230
    Options
    It takes food about 24 hours to move through your full digestive track. This is when your body sorts food into stored or used energy. If you binge one day, make sure to get to the gym and burn some good calories the next day. You should be okay.

One thing... MFP sets you up with a deficit depending on your goal. So if you goal is to lose 1lb a week, you will have a 500/calorie a day deficit calculated into your base calorie consumption.

So if you went into the meal with 500 calories left to consume... and then you ate 800 calories... you actually didn't GAIN any weight. You only lost 200 calories worth of weight instead of your normal 500 calories.

You would have to consume more than 1000 calories to actually gain weight if you had a 500 goal deficit calculated into your base rate AND you had 500 calories left in your chart.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    It takes food about 24 hours to move through your full digestive track. This is when your body sorts food into stored or used energy. If you binge one day, make sure to get to the gym and burn some good calories the next day. You should be okay.

One thing... MFP sets you up with a deficit depending on your goal. So if you goal is to lose 1lb a week, you will have a 500/calorie a day deficit calculated into your base calorie consumption.

So if you went into the meal with 500 calories left to consume... and then you ate 800 calories... you actually didn't GAIN any weight. You only lost 200 calories worth of weight instead of your normal 500 calories.

You would have to consume more than 1000 calories to actually gain weight if you had a 500 goal deficit calculated into your base rate AND you had 500 calories left in your chart.

Hear Here!!