New here 45yr old female hypothyroid - new phentamine RX

Options
Hi all,
Well here I am...I have used the application off an on for a few years to track calorie intake, with no success. I have tried it all - daily boot camp, Atkins, South Beach, WW, even HCG injections!!! And the results? I am heavier than I have ever been. My endocrinologist is so baffled she actually prescribed Phentamine today in addition to the hypothyroid Rxs.

We are going to give that a try for 3 months to see if we can get my metabolism to reset. I am generally under 1200 calories a day, but am thinking that may be part of the problem? My metabolic rate, calories burned by just breathing is around 1800 calories. I am working out, taking garcinia cambogia, metabolism boost supplements, everything and anything to get this weight off.

If you have any experience with kind of situation, I would love to catch up with you! I am hopeful that something will click and I can start losing this weight, but I am also skeptical as I have tried so many different things with no luck.

Mary

Replies

• jriffey
    jriffey Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am also on thyroid medication and phentamine. Would love to share how it's going with you.
  • ludwigla35
    ludwigla35 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am 42 years old and have Silent Thyroiditis. I have been over weight since my 9 year old was born. I put on 60lbs with his pregnancy and never lost it. I am now 217lbs. I was 222.5 just 9 days ago. I also just started on Phentermine 15mg capsules. I am not sure if it is the diet or the pills or the additional exercise I am doing. I have been busy with yard work (over 3 acres of lawn) and gardening (3 Victorian gardens) and biking most everyday for an hour. I feel good since I can feel my heart rate is up and I am sweating a lot. I do get headaches but that is not new because I have very demanding parents that are always wanting my help.

They are my biggest stressors now. My mom is moving and packing up her apartment and my dad doesn't drive anymore and needs me to take him grocery shopping, set up his meds, and get him to take a shower. Not to mention he has Alzheimer's. He doesn't even really understand that he has it. He just knows he has a memory problem.

I am trying like everything to take care of ME!!!!!! I just don't get much help from my Mom particularly. She is always belittling me and commenting on my weight or what I should do to loss weight...then she brings me an up-side-down pineapple rhubarb cake. What gives...any advise for rude parents? Good luck and keep me posted as to how you respond to the Phentermine.
  • ludwigla35
    Options
    I have had thyroid problems since 2003. I have Silent Thyroiditis. I have a slow metabolism and a very touchy thyroid. I am a small dose of Levothyroxine 50mcg. When we increase it I get oily skin and break outs. I also get jittery. I have a small tremor all the time. I can feel anxious if we increase it even just a little. I also have a small goiter.

I just started on the Phentermine 15mg capsules 9 days ago. I have lost 6lbs. I am not sure if it is the pills or if it is the additional yard work, biking or diet. I am trying to stick to about 1600 calories a day. I am currently 216. I was 222.5 last week. I am not convinced it is working yet because I have been up and down 5-10lbs for years. I do feel good with the added energy and faster heart rate. I do have to watch my BP to make sure it doesn't get too high. I am a nurse and my doctor told me that she knows a couple of nurses in the clinic who have lost as much as 80lbs. on Phentermine. I had great results from the old fashion Phen-Fen back in 1996 after my 2nd baby. I put on 50lbs. and was down to 139 after 9 months. I am 5' 9" tall. I loved being thin and buff. I did classes at the gym and weight trained. I was 24 then. Now I am 42. By the time I had my 3rd baby Phen-Fen was off the market. I was having to work it off on my own. I got back down to 155lbs. I also had a special needs child. I was not diagnosed with depression until 2.5 years later when I couldn't play supper mom anymore. I was overwhelmed and my life was a whirlwind.

I was able to go back to my favorite doctor and she started me on anti-depressants. I got the help I needed and am not doing very well. We have had to change my RX's several times over the years but I am doing very well now. I have started taking Viibryd 20mg just a few weeks ago and added Phentermine 15mg capsules last week. They are both SSRI's. I feel good but am not convinced that the Phentermine is really working yet. Once I loss 20lbs I will be convinced. Wish me luck...hope this helps.
  • plipsurt
    plipsurt Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 49 years old and was diagnosed with Hashimotos 20 years ago. My weight has steadily increased over the years and although I managed (no idea how) to lose 32lbs two years ago, most of it has crept back on despite being below my calorie goal on a daily basis. Doctors in the UK are not sympathetic at all (at least mine isn't) and tell me I must be eating more than I claim. Good luck with your quest
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    This thread, though short, is heart-breaking.

Stop with the doctors and the drugs and the under-eating and the excuses. It's the FOOD. Malnourishment is the cause of illness, disordered metabolism (including obesity), etc. You don't have to live like that. If you've tried all the diets, and all the drugs, and following all the stupid conventional advice (avoid fat, it's ONLY calories in/out, fill up on huge salads, drink more water, etc) maybe it's time to consider the FOOD.
  • ludwigla35
    Options
    Hi,

I can relate totally. I have never been heavier! I am 217lbs. I was 222.5 just a week ago. I started the Phentermine 15mg capsules just 9 days ago. I will not be convinced it is the RX until I loose at least 20lbs. I have lost and gained the same 10lbs. for years now. I have make changes to my diet and have added more exercise to my days. I am a gardener and have 3 acres of lawn to mow as well as love riding bike.

I have a gym membership to the YMCA and have been weight training 2 times a week. I enjoy the activity and it makes me feel good. I have been dealing with depression since 2000 and the extra exercise helps me feel better.

I will be monitored closely with my physician to hopefully find the right mix of calories and exercise to keep me moving in the right direction.

Good luck...

Laura
  • ludwigla35
    Options
    When did you start on the Phentermine? I just started 9 days ago and I am down 6lbs. I am not convinced that it is the meds. yet because I have lost 10lbs. and regained it over and over. I have been up and down the same 10lbs. for years. I won't be convinced until I loose at least 20lbs.

How are you doing on the Phentermine? Have you had any side effects? Let me know...

Laura
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and have hypothyroidism. had my thyroid removed due to cancer that metastasized. it CAN be done! good luck! :flowerforyou:

feel free to read the post i shared yesterday...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1305329-excuses-excuses
  • gypsyeyesforyou
    Options
    I can't believe your endocrinologist prescribed you phentermine. Scary. Please feel free to email me on here. I have been hypothyroid for 19 years and have recently truly began to educate myself on the disease, fired my endocrinologist and took control of my own life and well being.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    This thread, though short, is heart-breaking.

Stop with the doctors and the drugs and the under-eating and the excuses. It's the FOOD. Malnourishment is the cause of illness, disordered metabolism (including obesity), etc. You don't have to live like that. If you've tried all the diets, and all the drugs, and following all the stupid conventional advice (avoid fat, it's ONLY calories in/out, fill up on huge salads, drink more water, etc) maybe it's time to consider the FOOD.

+1 ZILLION!!! Once i started recording the food I was eating, I realized that even though i wasn't eating 'a lot', I was eating the WRONG foods!!! You will be SURPRISED!!! THANK YOU POSTER for posting this!!! :flowerforyou:

I'll also add working out even when we are tired and worn out as having hypothyroid we are... push through it ANYWAY!!!!
  • jriffey
    jriffey Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started on Phentermine April 14th, so am on my second month. My story is similar to yours, although I am older at 52. I also used to be thin and buff and weighed 130 after babies (all time high weight for me at that time). In my 40s, I began putting on weight. Since I'd never had to watch my weight before, I did not have good eating or exercise habits. My health declined and I was diagnosed with autoimmune thyroid disease and fibromyalgia. After trying many different medicaitons, my weight was up 30 pounds. I went off of all my medications except for the thyroid, a medication that controls my immune system, and an occasional pain pill. I've also cleaned up my eating so that I mostly eat chemical free, non-processed foods (I'm not perfect though)! I've felt much better and rarely have to take pain medication. Lost some weight, but was mostly stablized in the 160s while working with a health coach. I did start stress eating with a recent layoff from a job, started having anxiety attacks, gained 10 pounds and asked my doctor for help in getting control of my eating to that I had control over at least one thing in my life and fit in my clothes! The phentermine really helped. I usually do not get hungry until around 4pm, and eat a small breakfast and lunch, snack around 4pm, and then a regular dinner. The phentermine gives me lots of jitters and a dry mouth. The increase in drinking water is a double plus! I also had some irregular heartbeats (fairly normal for me), but that has settled down since I cut out my caffeine and have settled in to the medication more. Fortunately, my blood pressure has stayed normal. BTW, I am on a compounded thyroid medication since I had hives with synthroid and hyper feelings with armour. It is more expensive, but I don't have any side effects.

Stress has been a big factor in my eating habits. It sounds like you are under a lot of stress yourself! I've had a lot of depression over my change in body image and cannot "love" my body at this weight, although others say you should. With my recent loss of 9 pounds, I CAN love my body more as I see it returning to the "me" I know. It motivates me to want to do more. Once my job ends in a week, I plan on walking every morning to add the exercise piece in. Thanks for sharing your story. It helps others like me who have similar experiences and stresses.
  • samhradh
    samhradh Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I can't believe your endocrinologist prescribed you phentermine. Scary. Please feel free to email me on here. I have been hypothyroid for 19 years and have recently truly began to educate myself on the disease, fired my endocrinologist and took control of my own life and well being.

I am right there with you girl.

Do your research Op, Endos do not have all the answers, read and then read some more.
    2 years ago i was in Ops position, now with self education and monitoring my own health I am fitter, healthier and dare I say it happier than I was for the last 12 years.

www.stopthethyroidmadness.com
    www.thyroidsexy.com

Just 2 of the many helpful sites out there.

Good luck.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have used the application off an on for a few years to track calorie intake, with no success. I have tried it all - daily boot camp, Atkins, South Beach, WW, even HCG injections!!! And the results? I am heavier than I have ever been. My endocrinologist is so baffled she actually prescribed Phentamine today in addition to the hypothyroid Rxs.
    MFP has a Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I lost way more slowly than most MFPers. So be patient! But I did it just like everybody else—by logging everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly. Everything, every day—not just on & off.

Please, read this. It worked for me: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants