Heart Rate Monitor Suggestions

Options
Hey everyone!
I'm thinking about purchasing a heart rate monitor to help me better track my calories. Any suggestions on an affordable one? I've seen the Fitbit mentioned a lot, but I'm not to sure exactly how it works...

Replies

• Ryderod
    Ryderod Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Howdy, the FitBit is what is known as an activity tracker and is essentially a pedometer, it will track your daily steps and calories, but does not monitor your heart rate. For that you would need a device such as the bodymedia, Garmin vivofit or Polar loop, which are activity monitors with the added ability to track heart rate with the required additional heart rate strap and transmitter.

Bear in mind that using these transmitters for extended periods will affect their battery life considerably. Polar for example estimate their unit to last around 1 year with a 1hr/day use.

What you can do is use an activity tracker such as FitBit to monitor your typical daily activity, and perhaps use a heart rate watch to get a more accurate estimation during workouts as the activity monitors would not monitor change in load and heart zones, nor weight training, swimming, etc.

In the Polar range, the FT4 is a great, cost effective, simple to use unit, and for a little more, the FT7 will monitor your training and has the ability to upload and store your data on the Polar website.
  • stacyrenea06
    stacyrenea06 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Polar FT4 two days ago and so far so good. The set up was extremely easy and it was about $65 at Best Buy.
  • CallMePat
    CallMePat Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I got a Polar FT4 from BestBuy in December. $55. Easy to use.
    1. Put the watch and the strap on.
    2. Tell the watch when to start
    3. Tell the watch when to stop.
    That's it.
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Snag a Polar FT 4 or FT7. Both under $100.00. You won't regret it!
  • l_clc
    l_clc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I bought the Polar FT7 last week, I love it! Simple to use and accurate....it is a bit on the expensive side ($100), but worth it- you won't regret it!
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Wow, I had no idea a Polar HRM would only last about one year with 1 hour per day use. I was considering that one a couple years ago, but have settled on the Fitbit Flex (I realize this is not a heart rate monitor) which is the same price and hopefully lasts longer than a year!
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Wow, I had no idea a Polar HRM would only last about one year with 1 hour per day use. I was considering that one a couple years ago, but have settled on the Fitbit Flex (I realize this is not a heart rate monitor) which is the same price and hopefully lasts longer than a year!

I don't know if you have a bad apple or bad information, but that is crap. I recently replaced my 2nd Polar HRM. It lasted 15 years, and I had to have it refurbished once. I changed the battery two other times. Whoever told you that was smoking something.
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    keeping for shopping :wink:
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options

I don't know if you have a bad apple or bad information, but that is crap. I recently replaced my 2nd Polar HRM. It lasted 15 years, and I had to have it refurbished once. I changed the battery two other times. Whoever told you that was smoking something.
    Ryderod posted it just a few posts before mine, unless I misunderstood him.
  • Drezgirl
    Drezgirl Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I bought the Polar FT4 and I love it!! Good luck!!:wink:
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options

Ryderod posted it just a few posts before mine, unless I misunderstood him.

That is the battery life,

I have a Polar HR7 which I use with the Polar Beat app on my phone, does everything I want from it.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options

I still have a Polar F7. Not FT7, F7. I purchased it at least 5 years ago, and it still works great except that you have to get the strap wet before it will pick up the heart rate. I could replace the strap, but I went instead for a Zephyr bluetooth strap which syncs with apps on my phone. The Polar is still kicking, though.
  • jvnmobile
    jvnmobile Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT7 and it works well. I recommend it. I also have a Fitbit Flex which is 5 months old. The strap is coming apart and the Fitbit itself is being replaced under warranty because it failed. Not too sure about Fitbit quality....
  • 3Heather24
    3Heather24 Posts: 49
    Options
    I have (and LOVE) Polar FT7! Use it allll the time, for everything (even cleaning). Calorie count is far more accurate than the generalized calories that MFP lists.
  • YAYJules
    YAYJules Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Another endorsement for the Polar FT4. I was able to calculate more reliably after purchasing mine. My progress became more consistent after getting the HRM, and my food scale. Those are the two most important tools to weight loss as far as I'm concerned.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I had the Polar FT4, which was a very solid HRM. I used it regularly for a year and a half, and when I started using it again after my last pregnancy, the battery in the watch had died. I decided to replace the battery in both the watch and the transmitter (about $5 worth of batteries), and after that I couldn't get a constant signal on my HRM. I don't know if it was an issue with the watch, the transmitter, or the chest strap itself, but I didn't feel like sending it to Polar to check out. (Incidentally my sister had a battery issue with her Polar FT7 at the same time, and Polar fixed it for free. She just had to pay to ship it there/back.)

I thought about getting an activity tracker but decided I wanted the instant feedback of a HRM more. I looked up what I could get as far as Polar transmitters without the watch so that I could sync it to my iPhone and forgo the watch entirely, and I landed on the Polar H6. I found it at the link below cheaper than Amazon with free shipping, and it shipped quickly. They didn't have the chest strap size I wanted, so they shipped me a Polar H6 with the wrong size strap and then included an extra strap in the right size without charging me. Those straps aren't that cheap, so I thought that was pretty awesome, plus now I have a back-up strap:

http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/polar-h6-transmitter.html?productid=polar-h6-transmitter&channelid=FROOG&utm_source=CSEs&utm_medium=GoogleShopping&utm_campaign=heartratemonitorsusa&gclid=CPL3ldnh1r4CFS4aOgodFngAug

The other reason I decided on the Polar H6 is because it works with the Polar Loop, in case I decide to buy that at a later time. There's also a version that syncs to Droid phones (the H6 is made to sync with iPhones).

When I was new to fitness and looking for a good HRM, I checked with my Spinning instructors, most of whom have the Polar FT4 or FT7, and the overall opinion was that if you go with Polar or Garmin, you won't be disappointed.

Just keep in mind that the ones that sync with your phone rather than a watch typically have a shorter battery life (Bluetooth eats batteries), and if you plan on swimming, you'll need to look into whether a certain device can be worn in water.

Edited for typo
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CrescentCityGirl
    CrescentCityGirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You have had great success then. I've never had one last more than 1 or 2 years and it has been super frustrating.

The FT7 I have now reads a heart rate of 177 when I am standing still putting it on. Any idea how to fix that?
  • BigGamesJames1
    Options
    I bought the Polar FT7 last week, I love it! Simple to use and accurate....it is a bit on the expensive side ($100), but worth it- you won't regret it!

Same here, and also think it's worth it.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    bump