How do I delete food on my database ?

Options
Talentedcat
Talentedcat Posts: 10 Member
Hi my list of food is becoming very long and unusable. Plus my eating habits have changed as I've become a vegetarian. I would like to delete lots of old food items. Could some one kindly explain how it's done?

Thanks

Lynn

Replies

• EbonyAries
    EbonyAries Posts: 19
    Options
    Following, as id love to know the answer too!
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Me three
  • SheilaParker
    SheilaParker Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have wondered this myself and never have figured it out.
  • speeno
    speeno Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Me four : )
  • quatermore
    quatermore Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Click on your food diary to add a food, then click on the Frequent button at the top. You will see on the bottom boxes that say "Add Checked," "Delete from list," and view "Deleted Items" Check the food and hit delete!
  • Talentedcat
    Options
    Sorry I can't see a 'delete from list' anywhere.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Click on your food diary to add a food, then click on the Frequent button at the top. You will see on the bottom boxes that say "Add Checked," "Delete from list," and view "Deleted Items" Check the food and hit delete!
    Sorry I can't see a 'delete from list' anywhere.

Ya, uhmmm, interestingly, it seems you only get the 'Delete' button, when you are looking at the Frequent Foods. Which is a shorter list of foods that you are actually logging. When you look at the complete list ( Recent ) you don't get the Delete option.
  • Talentedcat
    Options
    Cheers!
    I can see it on the Frequent page now.

Many thanks,

I still would like to erase all meat products, but it's better than nothing.

Many thanks Sloth3toes :0)
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    Cheers!

Many thanks,

I just quoted quatermore's instructions. Too bad, it doesn't help me too much. Since the stuff I'd like to delete, isn't 'Frequent.'
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Cheers!

Many thanks,

I just quoted quatermore's instructions. Too bad, it doesn't help me too much. Since the stuff I'd like to delete, isn't 'Frequent.'

Where there is a will.........add your soon to be deleted foods ahead a few days and they 'become frequent foods' then delete those suckers! There is a way......
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    Cheers!

Many thanks,

Where there is a will.........add your soon to be deleted foods ahead a few days and they 'become frequent foods' then delete those suckers! There is a way......

I thought of that. Started formulating my idea in my post. Then, I wondered, how long until they become frequent foods? But, in the famous words of Otter....

I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!

And Bluto....

We're just the guys to do it.

So, I might just try that.

bluto-animal-house.jpg
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem - MFP's dinky little 4 page list of recent foods is nowhere near large enough. It keeps dropping stuff off, just when I need to add it to a meal again. Soooo tired of having to re-find it in the database and re-add it just to see it dump something else off my list. It seems like I am adding or re-adding something to my list every day. :explode:
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    Cheers!

Many thanks,

I thought of that. Started formulating my idea in my post. Then, I wondered, how long until they become frequent foods? But, in the famous words of Otter....

I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!

And Bluto....

We're just the guys to do it.

So, I might just try that.

bluto-animal-house.jpg

Blutowski....you have no grade point average; I'm out 7 days with one item and it isn't moving to frequent. So Plan B, what makes something frequent in the system 'show' the food as frequent? I may dive in to the pit of hell aka the threads search engine and look for thine Holy Hand Grenade....
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    Okay: found this dtd January 19, 2014
    "Here is he definitive statement from the MFP Help/Support section. We are basically SOL. Makes no sense that we can not edit out own food lists, but here ya go. Maybe if enough people complain, this simple necessary function will help make this site that much better. There were others asking the same question I was in the Help section as recent as today. They got the same pat answer that is quoted from the instructions. Here is my experience with attaining this wonderful news.

How do I delete foods from list? jjl0412 — Jan 17, 2014 08:15AM PST
    Ok, I read from the help files & questions. I am trying to clean up duplicates or food selections I no longer want in the list. In order to delete foods from the selection list, you have to use Frequent, then delete. It goes to a delete file. I get it. Problem is, I only get 1 page. I cannot access any foods beyond that 1 page. I needs to see the other pages so I can delete other selections. This should not be an issue! Any assistance to edit my food lists will be appreciated.

6 Community Answers
    Best Answer Jan 17, 2014 08:57PM PST Justin
    Hi, Thank you for taking the time to post your question.
    At this time there are five food lists
    Recent – This list updates on its own over time depending on what foods you added most recently to your diary, content cannot be deleted from this list manually.
    Frequent – This list updates on its own over time depending on what foods you add to your diary the most, to remove content from this list simple check the items you want to delete and click “DELETE FROM LIST” at the bottom of the page. This can only be done from the website.
    My Foods – This list contains any custom foods you have added to your personal database and foods that you have edited from the primary database, you can only delete personal database items. Edit/Delete My Foods.
    Meals – To delete meals you have created, navigate to the “My Meals” page and select the item you want removed, then click “Delete Selected Meal”. Edit/Delete My Meals.
    Recipes – Similar workflow as meals, navigate to the Recipes page, hover your mouse over the recipe you would like to remove and click “Delete”. Edit/Delete Recipes.
    Cheers,
    Justin
    MyFitnessPal Staff "

So were on double secret probation; whatever the hell that is!
  • auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem - MFP's dinky little 4 page list of recent foods is nowhere near large enough. It keeps dropping stuff off, just when I need to add it to a meal again. Soooo tired of having to re-find it in the database and re-add it just to see it dump something else off my list. It seems like I am adding or re-adding something to my list every day. :explode:

Put foods you really use under the my foods tab. I am unsure if there is a limit to these but that is what I do so I don't have to search through all the incorrect user entered items in the database.

Unfortunately though this list is not in any kind of order- neither alphabetical nor by date. But its better than the alternative
  • graphicguy54
    graphicguy54 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I too am trying to delete many foods that I have put into the database. If I go to Foods/Frequent page I can only edit one page and there are many more pages I cannot access. If I go to My Foods, it says No Results found even though I have added a lot of foods that I no longer eat and want to get rid of. If there is truly a way to delete foods from the database I would appreciate hearing from anyone. Thanks.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    I assume you are asking about the Recent list and not your actual Food Diary, because you can go back to individual days in your Food Diary and delete the food items one by one.

​The Recent list just displays up to the last 100 items you, yourself, added to your Food Diary. Those food items will eventually drop off of the Recent list display after you log more items. You can not delete them from the Recent list.

The Frequent list displays up to 25 items from your Food Diary based on an algorithm that the user can not change, but a user can in effect hide particular food items from displaying in the Frequent list.

If you want, you can change your default display to the Frequent list, from which you can hide previous food items that you added to your Food Diary and do not want to see displayed on a list of foods. On the Web version, navigate to FOOD > Settings and change Default Add Food View to Frequent. On the mobile apps, navigate to Settings > Diary Settings and set Default Search Tabs to Frequent. Currently, one can only remove food items from the Frequent list using the Web version or iOS mobile app, not the Android app.

The only way to have the Recent list not display those items that you added to your Food Diary is for you to go back to your Food Diary and delete all instances of those unwanted items from every day that you logged them. However, if you delete those unwanted entries from your Food Diary, be aware that your macros will not be correct for those previous days and any Reports, if you use that, will not be correct.

Please see these articles on the MFP Help pages...
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/374439-how-do-i-delete-an-entry-from-my-food-diary-
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/152746-can-i-remove-a-food-from-my-%22most-used%22-or-%22frequent%22-list-what-if-i-change-my-mind-
  • telaine55
    telaine55 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    In in your diary click on add food and the history will come up. Hold down on the item you want to delete and the delete option will come up
  • Junebug22c1
    Junebug22c1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It takes awhile to delete all of the history BUT! Eventually!!! It will be empty!