Heart Rate Monitor Suggestions

Options
2»

Replies

• brirandle1
    brirandle1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ive had a Polar HRM for about 2 yrs and use the watch as my actual watch also. I just replaced the battery at a jewelry store with no problem and its running just fine. Love my polar HRM, highly recommend it
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I got a Polar hrm - the, less expensive one and didn't think it was so easy to set up and use. I finally gave up.
  • Ryderod
    Ryderod Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Wow, I had no idea a Polar HRM would only last about one year with 1 hour per day use. I was considering that one a couple years ago, but have settled on the Fitbit Flex (I realize this is not a heart rate monitor) which is the same price and hopefully lasts longer than a year!

I don't know if you have a bad apple or bad information, but that is crap. I recently replaced my 2nd Polar HRM. It lasted 15 years, and I had to have it refurbished once. I changed the battery two other times. Whoever told you that was smoking something.

Then you are clearly not using your hrm much!
    The unit does not need replacing, the battery does. I use various Polar models, an older F55 which is a great fitness unit, with the ability to add workouts. but communicates via irDA. The FT7 which is also a great fitness device, an RCX3 which I use for interval training and split timing, and an H7 bluetooth transmitter which syncs with Polar beat on my iPhone. The F55 (2007) required a battery change after approximately 1.5 years, not as user friendly to change as the newer models such as the FT7, but I did it myself. The H7 transmitter I see requires a battery change about twice a year with me using it an average of 1.25 hrs per day for 4 - 5 days a week.

FYI. FT7 specs from Polar:
    TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
    FT7 Training Computer
    Battery type
    CR1632
    Battery life
    Average 11 months (training 1 h/day, 7 days/week)
    Operating temperature
    -10 °C to +50 °C / 14 °F to 122 °F
    Back cover
    Polyamide

Watch accuracy
    Better than ± 0.5 seconds/day at 25 °C / 77 °F temperature.
    Accuracy of heart rate measurement
    ± 1% or ± 1 bpm, whichever larger, definition applies to steady state conditions.

WearLink+ Transmitter
    Battery type
    CR 2025
    Battery life
    Average 700 hours of use

Operating temperature
    -10 °C to +50 °C / 14 °F to 122 °F

30m (Suitable for bathing and swimming)
  • Ryderod
    Ryderod Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You have had great success then. I've never had one last more than 1 or 2 years and it has been super frustrating.

The FT7 I have now reads a heart rate of 177 when I am standing still putting it on. Any idea how to fix that?

Does this reading stabilize and come down after a few minutes, or remain so high?
    This is usually an indication of poor connectivity, try wetting the strap first and seeing if that helps..

Also, check out this help chart from Polar:

http://www.polar.com/us-en/support/Abnormal_Heart_Rate_Readings_During_Exercise
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    To your stated purpose of getting decent calorie estimates - all of the cheaper Polar's that have been mentioned (FT4/FT7) also give you cheap results, you might say.

They are lacking very needed stat and means of getting it if calorie burn estimate is important - they have no VO2max.

The calculate it based on your BMI (they ask for height and weight) and then decide where that is in the range of good to bad (they ask for gender and age), and from that assume if your BMI is bad, your fitness level and VO2max is bad too.

Bad assumption - because you can actually improve cardiovascular health much faster than you can lose weight.

Cheapest Polar for your stated purpose, is the RS300X, maybe $10-15 more than those cheaper Polar's.

But, what is your workout time, out of your week?
    5 hrs of exercise out of 168 hrs in week is only 3% of your time.

And the HRM is ONLY valid for steady-state aerobic where HR is the same for at least 2-4 min. If lifting, Insanity, P90X, or similar stuff where HR is up and down constantly or doing anaerobic like intervals - it's not even valid and will give you inflated values.
    So now how much if your weekly time is it actually valid for?

The Fitbit or other activity tracker will do much better for the other 97% of your time.

If your non-exercise TDEE is around 2000 daily or 14000 weekly, and your exercise burns say 5x500 cal = 2500 in the week, that's only 15% of your calories (2500/16500).
    Your food logging will probably be off more than that will be off even if you aren't exact on the calorie burn, unless doing more intense or longer amounts of exercise.
  • Myxalplyx
    Myxalplyx Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You have had great success then. I've never had one last more than 1 or 2 years and it has been super frustrating.

The FT7 I have now reads a heart rate of 177 when I am standing still putting it on. Any idea how to fix that?

I have had the same problem with my FT7. Worked great until I changed the battery in the chest strap. If you read the instructions, they recommend changing a sealing ring because it can become damaged. http://www.polar.com/e_manuals/FT7/Polar_FT7_user_manual_English/manual.pdf

I never read the instructions for this thinking that changing the battery was just like any of the watch batteries I've had. Every since, the heart rate monitor has been reading excessively high. I'll tool around with it to see if I can get it to function right. In the meantime, it may be in your best interest to purchase a few sealing rings for when you need to change the battery out.
  • Zuzi80
    Zuzi80 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    yesterday I've order the "Garmin Vivofit Wireless Fitness Wrist Band and Activity Monitor with Heart Rate Monitor".
    I don't know yet....waiting the dispatching (can't wait actually).
    But I believe is a good balance between the Fit bit and the Polar with HRM that usually are costly.
  • photochik71
    photochik71 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Bodymedia Fit Link. I'm on my second day using it. It's a total eye opener! Now I know how I gain weight so easily. On a day with an hour of intense exercise, I burn roughly 2300 calories in 24 hours. During my spin class today, I burned 433.

I'm short and have less to lose plus take a certain med that kind of slows everything in my body down. Not sure if it also slows the metabolism or not, but I gained 7 lbs. during my first six weeks of taking it.

I really wanted an overall picture of my daily calories so I bought the fit link.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Bodymedia Fit Link. I'm on my second day using it. It's a total eye opener! Now I know how I gain weight so easily. On a day with an hour of intense exercise, I burn roughly 2300 calories in 24 hours. During my spin class today, I burned 433.

I'm short and have less to lose plus take a certain med that kind of slows everything in my body down. Not sure if it also slows the metabolism or not, but I gained 7 lbs. during my first six weeks of taking it.

I really wanted an overall picture of my daily calories so I bought the fit link.

You might want to read their FAQ's on what their device is going to be decent and no where decent at estimating calorie burns on. It's not really the Swiss Army Knife of tools (meaning it can do anything).

Spin bike is not one of those, as step-based is still the primary counter of calories. Body heat has much less influence, and that's even if the sensors work well for you.
    The galvanic sensor is the on/off switch basically, that's how it tells it's on you. Don't ever let it sit on the shelf with the sensors touching the strap, it'll think it's on-body. Ya, that's how good that sensor is.
  • criticaltodd
    Options
    Wahoo Fitness and 4iiii both have bluetooth HRMs if you want to use them with smartphone apps. The Polar H7 is bluetooth as well.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options

I've had mine almost 3 weeks and I love it. It definitely helped me get a more accurate idea of my fitness level, and has motivated me to increase my steps during the day. Getting those little check marks on the app has become quite important!

Someone mentioned bluetooth HRMs eating battery...I have a Zephyr and it's rechargeable. I recharge it about once a week or so, and I've never had a problem with it running down. It syncs with a bunch of different apps including iCardio, Runkeeper and Endomondo, and they feed into MFP. It also uses regular bluetooth instead of bluetooth smart or ant, so it works with a much wider range of phones, including older Androids.