1200 Calories too low?

Options
Does anyone else think 1200 calories is too low? I noticed MFP automatically sets women at that number. I get WAY to hungry. I am 5"5' and weigh 148. I'm trying to get down to 135. I exercise about 4 times a week. Is there anyone else out there in my predicament? Thanks!

Replies

• lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    you should be eating your exercise calories back... make sure you are

if you feel its too low, scale back how much weight you'd like to lose weekly
  • DoralisM
    Options
    Yep definitely too low... but this is the set rate if you are not active. You should set it to 1300-1500 if you are lightly active and 1700 if you are exercising 3-4 times a week.
  • cjengel
    cjengel Posts: 21
    Options
    I think that's a bit extreme - remember though, that if you burn about 200 calories exercising, you will be eating 200 more calories those days. Mine is telling me to eat 1480 a day, which is barely enough to get all the nutrients I need. You can always raise it a bit - you shouldn't be trying to lose more than two pounds a week! Good luck! :)
  • christina_theresa
    christina_theresa Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Eating under 1200 calories can be bad for your metabolism. I try to eat half of my calories back from my workouts, otherwise I am hungry all the time!
  • edebock
    Options
    I also find it's a bit low.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Remember to go by your NET calories, as it takes the calories you burned during your workouts into account.

I was in the 1200 - 1300 calorie range, post workout, and hit a plateau each time that has happened. I've had to bump up my calorie intake to between 1400 - 1500 or more, post workout, to achieve weight loss.

It's different from person to person. A lot of this is experimentation.
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I was on 1200 and I stalled for over a month. I wasn't hungry at all but I was walking 3kms 7 days a week, dancing for 1.5-2 hours 5 days a week and doing strength training! I have raised my calories to 1400 and I am eating some of my exercise calories back... I ave started to lose again and I know my metabolism is working cause I am starving often throughout the day. Zig-zagging calories also works REALLY well!
  • trio25
    trio25 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I really struggle to get this low, fortunately with exercise calories I am normally okay. As others say, up it a bit if you think that works and lose weight at a slower rate.
  • marciehr
    Options
    I thought so too but now that I been at it for 4 months I have my routine set. 200 calories for breakfast, 350 for lunch a subway sanwich if pretty filling, a 200 calorie for dinner, and lots of snacks mostly fruit and raw peanuts in between my 3 main meals. I have lots approximately 20 pounds so far and working on the last 5. And yes exercise burning an average of 500 calories a day. It works just stick to eat, if you need to eat more make sure its fruits and vegies.:smile:
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I really struggle to get this low, fortunately with exercise calories I am normally okay. As others say, up it a bit if you think that works and lose weight at a slower rate.

Slower rate? Ha!

At the lower calorie intake, I was losing nothing. I've upped it, and am losing again. Which one is quicker? 0 or 1 lb a week?
  • Gallen88
    Gallen88 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My daily cals are 1350 but when i workout, i add more too it so most of the time, i eat over that cuz i have earned cals from my workouts