Healthy alternatives to yummy foods!

Options
Hey Guys! I was looking for suggestions on healthy alternative recipes for yummy foods!

Today I made pita bread pizza, which at only 250 calories was super delicious!! :D
I have also looked into making sweet potato french fries.

Any suggestions? Please & Thank you! :)

Replies

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    My favorite recipes for "healthy" are smaller amounts of yummy stuff. Boring, yep. But effective for weight loss and satisfying for my taste buds. I can eat 1/4 of a Domino's medium thin crust pizza (yes 1/4 of the whole thing--veggies and cheese), and it's only 280 calories. WIN!

Sweet potato fries are good (but I LOVE sweet potatoes in general). Sweet potato chips/crisps? Absolutely disgusting! I do not recommend (YMMV--but yucky!).

ETA: Do NOT believe people who say that "cauliflower" is a substitute for anything. It's not! I made Cilantro Lime "Rice" from cauliflower for Memorial Day. Um, no. Just no. Eat the damn rice, just 1/2 cup serving instead of a mountain of it, lol. True story.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes instead of milkshakes.

protein powder
    almond milk
    banana
    tbsp. peanut butter
  • sue_stef
    sue_stef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower tastes like cauliflower it never tastes like mashed potatoes UNLESS you add huge amounts of cheddar cheese and then it tastes like

cauliflower with cheddar cheese

I do eat Cauliflower "alfredo" sauce it does not taste like real alfredo BUT it also does not really taste like cauliflower
    probably because if you add enough garlic and onions to anything it does not like the original thing
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes instead of milkshakes.

protein powder
    almond milk
    banana
    tbsp. peanut butter

Oh yeah, that reminds me. I guess I have one delicious "substitute" recipe. Instead of those HUGE "Frappe--mocha-macchiato--extra whip" frou frou coffee drinks, I make a coffee shake with my "dumb" slim fast shakes:

One bottle of Chocolate Royale (or another chocolate protein shake)
    8 oz. or so of cold coffee
    ice

Blend and enjoy. 190 cals for mine vs. 3489053 for the one from your favorite coffee house.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Pizza made with a fiber and flax tortilla on a pizza stone. My favorite is barbecue chicken. I dice and saute sweet onion and mushroom first and add it to the cooked chicken, toss with barbecue sauce, put on the tomato sauce, then the mixture and a little shredded cheddar. Yum. 360 calories of a filling, full flavor individual pizza.
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Also don't believe people who say avocados are a viable substitute for alfredo. They're not. It tastes like hot guacamole. :laugh: JMO of course.

I love sandwich thins instead of regular bread for my sandwiches.

Sometimes I'll use plain greek yogurt instead of mayo or sour cream, if I'm using it as a condiment that'll be covered up by other flavors.

Banana ice cream (freeze a banana, put it in a blender, whir it up, add a touch of honey... or no honey, that's cool too). You can add other flavors to this, like peanut butter, cocoa powder, nutella, etc.

Edited for typos.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Yay to protein shakes too. I get Red Mill Whey powder from the grocery store. 1/4 cup has 16 grams protein, no carbs, and no fat. I have two good recipes: chocolate shake made with a cup of one percent milk, a tablespoon plain cocoa, 5 Stevia packets, a tsp. of powdered vanilla extract, and ice. 210 calories. Coffee shake: 2/3 cup water, ice, 1/2 cup fat free milk, tsp. powdered vanilla extract, 4 stevia packets, 2 sticks of instant coffee, blend, then add the whey powder and blend quick. Frappaccino with no fat, 20 grams of protein and only 120 calories.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    This cauliflower pizza crust tastes nothing like cauliflower: http://nutritionstripped.com/cauliflower-pizza-crust/

I second protein shakes instead of milkshakes.

Banana ice cream. I mix banana with either peaches, PB2, or cocoa powder. Top with some chocolate chips, yum!

PB-chocolate chip cookies made with chickpeas. Sounds weird, I know. They don't come out crispy, but they're delicious.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Also: spiralized pasta. You can get a spiralizer from Amazon for like $30. Zucchini noodles are great with pasta sauce, in soups, stir-fries, etc. You can eat a huge bowl of zucchini noodles for a fraction of the calories of regular spaghetti. I've made noodles out of butternut squash, carrot, sweet potato, and cucumber.
  • JLoescher01
    JLoescher01 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Sherbet instead of regular ice cream. Lower in fat and calories.
  • amraymond18
    Options
    Definitely gonna have to try the banana ice cream! Sounds yummy and relatively easy to make! :)
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    One bottle of Chocolate Royale (or another chocolate protein shake)
    8 oz. or so of cold coffee
    ice

Blend and enjoy. 190 cals for mine vs. 3489053 for the one from your favorite coffee house.
    ooh I've been craving a coffee coolata from dunkin's, bet that would do the trick! Good idea.
  • greenmm25
    greenmm25 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My favorite recipes for "healthy" are smaller amounts of yummy stuff. Boring, yep. But effective for weight loss and satisfying for my taste buds. I can eat 1/4 of a Domino's medium thin crust pizza (yes 1/4 of the whole thing--veggies and cheese), and it's only 280 calories. WIN!

Sweet potato fries are good (but I LOVE sweet potatoes in general). Sweet potato chips/crisps? Absolutely disgusting! I do not recommend (YMMV--but yucky!).

ETA: Do NOT believe people who say that "cauliflower" is a substitute for anything. It's not! I made Cilantro Lime "Rice" from cauliflower for Memorial Day. Um, no. Just no. Eat the damn rice, just 1/2 cup serving instead of a mountain of it, lol. True story.
    Amen to this all of it ^^