lower back pain after deadlifts

Options
Ok my namea jason I've been working out for a little more then a year and a half strong now 4 times a week I I do just about every exercise there is but I do lag alote on deadlifts anyways a few days ago I decided to put deadlifts back in my routine after not doing them for about 5 months ao I did and I went a bit heavy atleast for me im 5'7 weight 150... I worked the weight up to 220 adding ten punds each set I did about 6 sets in all doing about 7 reps until I hit 220 I brought it down to 4-5 reps.. I finished then did biceps and went home when I got home my lower back was a bit tight but nothing bad at all I went to sleep qhen I woke up the next morning mylower back was very sore and tight so I decided to rest and not hit the gym later that night my ggirlfriend gave me a massage I think she might have went to hard because thats how I like it lol and when she was done it was swollen on both sides of my back where she was rubbing so I got in the shower and it went down a little about time I was ready for bed it wasn't that swollen now the next day I woke up it was very sore and tight and the muscles were extremely hard so I didn't hit the gym again I woke up today and the soreness is not as bad but still very sore and muscles are still extremely hard almost like solid this is the third day im pretty sureIim not going to be able to workout tomorrow as well so I guess my question is has anyone else experienced this, do you think its Normal and do you think maybe its DOMS ive never had it in my back thanks any feedback will help

Replies

• pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Ice it not heat.... ice is better for swelling. Also it's because you did something new. You back is not used to it & not that weight. I did kettle swings 3 days ago... 2 days ago I almost called in sick at work cause I could not breathe without my back being sore....and I have a back injury. Yesterday I managed to do my normal workout & today I am still very sore.

It will take time, but do not let it rest so much...keep moving. That's what I find is best otherwise your back will freeze up like mine does.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is probably DOMS, since it is getting better but isn't gone yet. I've had DOMS last a week when I first started lifting heavy. That being said, you shouldn't have DOMS in your back from deadlifts. Contrary to popular belief, they are not a back exercise. You are arching your back too much if you feel them in your back. Next time you do them, tuck the hips under just a little bit (don't over compensate and round the back either) to maintain a neutral spine. That way you can focus on the legs and not be able to walk for a week instead of feeling the DOMS in your back. :laugh:
  • KillaKaliKrackerKilla
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback guys I appreciate it I pretty much figured it was from doing an exercise my body wasn't use to im going to try some ice and keep stretching it for of another couple days and hopefully I can get back in the gym thses 3 days of no workout have been hell feels like weeks lol thanks again
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Holy run on sentence
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    A couple things to also consider
    1). form, make sure form is good. google Rippetoe teaches the dead-lift. Make sure your back is not rounded. The bar is taking a vertical path. Bar over mid foot, behind or about the shoulder blades and goes up and down straight
    2). Volume. Dead lift is the hardest lift to recover from. That's why most like Rippetoe advocate for most people to do lots of warm up sets and the working set is only 1 set of 5. If you have an A, B split you will only do dead lift on B. B will be Wednesday one weekend and Monday and Friday the next.

You look fairly strong for your size, you probably should be doing an intermediate program like Madcow or The Texas method. Look up the volume on those as well. I sense you might be doing too much volume
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    So you hadn't done ANY deads for 5mths, and then you went back high volume/high weight?

I'd say it's DOMS.

Ease your way in when you get back to the gym, do 3 or 4 warm up sets with a lower weight, then do a low volume set with a higher weight, but don't go as high as your working sets from before your break.
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Back pain that hurts and is stiff in the morning, but loosens up as you move around ( pain not necessarily gone) is usually muscular. Rest, ice , and inti-inflammatories!

Go easy when you are trying a new exercise or returning to an old one! No need for personal bests on day 1!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    A couple things to also consider
    1). form, make sure form is good. google Rippetoe teaches the dead-lift. Make sure your back is not rounded. The bar is taking a vertical path. Bar over mid foot, behind or about the shoulder blades and goes up and down straight
    2). Volume. Dead lift is the hardest lift to recover from. That's why most like Rippetoe advocate for most people to do lots of warm up sets and the working set is only 1 set of 5. If you have an A, B split you will only do dead lift on B. B will be Wednesday one weekend and Monday and Friday the next.

^I agree. Make sure your form is perfect and reduce the volume.
    You look fairly strong for your size, you probably should be doing an intermediate program like Madcow or The Texas method. Look up the volume on those as well. I sense you might be doing too much volume

Disagree. His #s are far from an intermediate.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Sounds like DOMS. Got it earlier this week DL my body weight. Do some stretching and get rest. You'll wake up brand new

If it was my first time back into the gym, I would do a warm up with the bar first then use weights. Maybe do a few sets working up to my last PR although most people can't lift their old numbers and have to work toward it.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly impressed by the 332 word long sentence.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is probably DOMS, since it is getting better but isn't gone yet. I've had DOMS last a week when I first started lifting heavy. That being said, you shouldn't have DOMS in your back from deadlifts. Contrary to popular belief, they are not a back exercise. You are arching your back too much if you feel them in your back. Next time you do them, tuck the hips under just a little bit (don't over compensate and round the back either) to maintain a neutral spine. That way you can focus on the legs and not be able to walk for a week instead of feeling the DOMS in your back. :laugh:

Deadlifts are absolutely a back exercise. Primarily hits the posterior chain really. Much less so the legs.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    eh. nvm.
  • KillaKaliKrackerKilla
    Options
    Thanks guys for the feedback im going to take everything in consideration next time im in the gym, I believe it was just doms I woke up today and my back is feeling alote better then the day before I could probably workout but im going to take another day just to be safe, Im definitely keeping deadlifts in my routine I dont want "doms" attacking me again lol not a fun experience at all.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    I know this feel.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Start lower and work your way back up again. I personally just started deadlifting last week and am only doing 135lbs for now until I feel comfortable raising the weight. Even at 135 I was a little sore after considering I've never done dead lifts before.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for the feedback im going to take everything in consideration next time im in the gym, I believe it was just doms I woke up today and my back is feeling alote better then the day before I could probably workout but im going to take another day just to be safe, Im definitely keeping deadlifts in my routine I dont want "doms" attacking me again lol not a fun experience at all.

If you dont' get it every once in while you aren't pushing had enough :)

Definitely get someone to check your form and make sure you aren't rounding your lower back. You don't want blown discs at a young age.