MFP Biking Gang 8/11/08

I am about to ride but thought I would start a new thread for this week since shorerider is OOT!

Happy riding everyone!

Replies

• ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    I am about to ride but thought I would start a new thread for this week since shorerider is OOT!

Happy riding everyone!
  • Thanks for starting the thread. I'm having problems with my bike. Apparently the crank/hub is messed up and needs to be "re-packed". I"m a bit angry since I just bought the bike and now I can't ride home, that and there are massive Miami thunderstorms as usual! Oh well, c'est la vie. Hope your riding is happier than mine currently is :) Yikes! Lightening and thunder!!
  • ohthatbambi
    Well I only got in about 7 miles this morning. I rode to work (which is only 2.5 miles) and added a few on the way home, but it was hot by then so I hope to go back out this evening. Rain is forcasted for the next few days so we will see what happens!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    HI GANG! a010.gif

Bamboo--thanks for starting the thread!

We're having a blast on the Creeper Trail! IT IS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!

Today, I rode the whole length from White Top to Abingdon and then back to our rental house--total of 50.5 miles!!

But, the first 17 or so was all down hill.

It was sooooooooo cool! For like the first 10 miles, we barely had to touch our pedals and were at times hitting 17mph! Old railroad trestles, and woods, and deer--just great!

When we get home, I'll post photos.

Going out riding again tomorrow on the Trail.
  • michaelhe
    michaelhe Posts: 81 Member
    Put me down for 15 miles this week. I just started a new job and I'm hoping things will settle in enough for one small after-work ride and another one on the weekend.
  • cecreech
    cecreech Posts: 119 Member
    I did 35 Friday, 30 Saturday and 16 on Sunday. 81 Miles for me. I sent in a proposal today for Toyota to sponsor my little bike team in the MS 150 here in the Carolinas. I gained some weight but I guess it was muscle. I was not able to eat all of my calories for 3 days!
  • ohthatbambi
    This week is starting out kind of slow for me. I am just tired and not super motivated. Hoping to get a long ride in tomorrow if weather permits. Maybe that will get me over the hump!

Monday - 7.3
    Tuesday - 10
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    In preparation for the century next week I wanted to get in at least one big ride. Rode 90 miles today:happy: . It was a perfect day. Tem in the eighties and sunny. After my experience last week where I took a long break at about half of the ride and had a hard time to ride back to my car I figured I keep the breaks short and keep moving. That worked much better. I was sitting 7 1/2 hrs in the seat of my recumbent. Thank god it is so comfy! I'll never even look at a upwrong again:wink:
    I may put in a few more miles this week. Just to do as much as I can before the century. Next week is off the bike. After this ride I am more confident that I can ride the entire 100 next week.
  • shorerider
    Way to go, Stef!!

We got in 22 miles yesterday and did the downhill part of the Creeper again today for another 24. I'm thinking about maybe trying to ride UP the Creeper trail tomorrow but have to think hard about it! We'll see.

Having a great time though!
  • stschulz
    Glad you enjoy your nvacation shore!:happy:

I rode to the library today, and since that went after the long ride yesterday suprisingly well and easy I dropped the books of and went out for more miles. I had just made the decision to do the "big" 30 some mile loop when it started to rain.:mad: Not in the mood to get soaked and of course without rain gear, I turned around and cut the ride short.

Still: 23 miles. If I am not to tired Saturday after work I'll go for a 40 mile ride with the club which will then bring my week total to > 160. I think that's enough prep for the century.
  • stschulz
    <
    shore rider 2:happy:
  • ohthatbambi
    I did lunges at the gym yesterday and I hate them...especially the next day...especially when I got on my bike. It took about three miles to loosen up my legs but I finally did. I got in 12.8 tonight so I am happy. It was rainy and yucky out this morning and I didn't think I would get to ride at all but it cleared up and turned into a good night.

Monday - 7.3
    Tuesday - 10
    Weds - 12.7
  • shorerider
    Well, back from vacation! Got in another 22 miles one day and 24 the next--think I ended up with about 115 for the time we were out there. Really had a great time!
  • familybugs
    familybugs Posts: 129 Member
    Mon- 16
    Tues - 20
    tomorrow- 75 miles is the plan!
  • You guys are an insperstion!!:wink: Keep up the good work. I have a question though. I have not been able to do more than 20km at a time. I have been going every 2nd day, then had bike problems. I'm back at it now and am a little frustrated. There was a post a while baack about what one could expect when starting out. Any one know where it is?
  • shorerider
    You guys are an insperstion!!:wink: Keep up the good work. I have a question though. I have not been able to do more than 20km at a time. I have been going every 2nd day, then had bike problems. I'm back at it now and am a little frustrated. There was a post a while baack about what one could expect when starting out. Any one know where it is?

It takes a long time to build up distances--I've been at it since April 1st and others have been doing it longer.

And, going long distances like that isn't necessary for weight loss. You can ride an hour a day--say 8-14 or so miles--and burn up a few hundred calories, which is great!

I ride long distances because 1) I love it and 2) I have specific goals in mind to ride in long distance tours.

But, if you want to build up distances, start slowly, add about 10% per week to the longest distance you ride each week.

For example--

Week 1) ride 30 miles longest distance
    Week 2) ride 33 miles longest distance
    Week 3) ride 36 miles longest distance

etc., etc., etc.

Also, ride shorter distances in between the long rides. I do 1 long ride a week with shorter rides in between of anywhere from 10 to 30 miles--with my longest ride distance currently being 52 miles.

AND, remember to take several days off every few weeks and do something other than riding. It gives your muscles time to rebuild and recover. VERY IMPORTANT!

Drinks lots of water and energy type drinks while riding, too. And, bring along snacks--eat about every hour you're out riding.
  • Thank-you for the info. I was doing it wrong I love to be the bike and to go and go and go. I am looking forward to being able to go for longer. I was doing long rides every other day. thanx again.
  • shorerider
    Thank-you for the info. I was doing it wrong I love to be the bike and to go and go and go. I am looking forward to being able to go for longer. I was doing long rides every other day. thanx again.

You can wear yourself out that way. The shorter rides are just as important.

Take the longer rides at a slower pace (something I HATE to do but have to force myself)--that way, you'll burn more fat for fuel and not wear yourself out. And then you can do the shorter distances at a faster pace to increase your stamina.
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    I do one long ride a week, and then two shorter rides. I try to go for speed on one of the short rides and hills on the other. It doesn't always work out that way but it's a nice variety.
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    Oops: Forgot to post my miles. Last week: 82.5.

This week I was on vacation and then spent one day with my sick 5 year old and one day was sick myself.

17.35 miles Tuesday
    49.9 miles today

Total: 67.25 miles.

Next week will be another low mileage week because I am tapering for my triathlon on Sunday.